1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Marvel Animation Age has your first look at the new Ultimate Spider-Man episode slated to air in October 2012. Click here for the details.

2. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the proper venue, being goofy like SHS isn't necessarily a bad thing, and its emblematic of the Ultimate Spider-Man identity crisis - are we a drama/action show or a goofy humor show. Because they try to be both, they do neither particularly well.

3. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Over the weekend I started rewatching an old-ish show (over ten years now since it started) and after quite a few episodes I realised this is the show USM should have been like. It has a goofy main character that constantly has cutaway 'daydream' gags, a fairly large diverse cast, mixes drama with comedy very well, and it's about young newbies being mentored by older and more experienced people.

The show was Scrubs. And now I can’t watch more episodes without thinking “hey this is what the USM guys should’ve been watching instead of Family Guy.”

4. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Minor note - The Sam Alexander version of Nova is getting his own Marvel NOW Point One one-shot, written by the same guy who tries to keep pushing the character, Jeph Loeb. I forget who the artist is, but the piece shown didn't look bad.

5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

the artist is Ed Mcguiness

6. rock8346

rock8346 Member

The Ultimate Spiderman is just too childish. The other Spiderman cartoons were so much better. I don't like the graphics of Ultimate Spiderman and he fights like a wimp.

7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

And now things make sense the new Nova is just another character named after Loeb's dead son. Anyways Loeb is the worst writer marvel currently had (Yeah I hate him more then Bendis) so I don't have high hopes for the comic.

The fights in my opinion are the strong point of the show. That's when it actually gets serous and feels like a Spider-man cartoon. By graphics I guess you mean animation really durring the fights it's quite good. And spider-man really does not fight like a wimp. I like how they use his agility in fights and how he fights defensively in this show. That's not fighting like a wimp.

The problem with this show is the comedy, it just sucks. It's the comedy that makes this show too childish. It relies too much on sight gags, gross out humor, making fun of characters, and stupidity. Too many of the plots rely on Peter or another character doing something stupid. A comedy show needs one basic thing that Ult Spider-man lacks, actually being funny.

Being a comedy action show does not mean it has to be childish. look at Brave and the Bold. It's humor was witty, relying on a straight man (Batman) being paired with a crazier character. much of it's humor is from Batman's reactions towards the weird things and his dry puns. The shows did not dumb itself down for kids. It did not rely on sight gags or gross out humor. It's jokes and references were on the comics themselves. It threw in references for comic fans and had enough adult humor that went over kids heads. Also it knew that while it did not take itself too seriously when it had to be serous it did that just as well a comedy.

As someone above said Ult Spider-man really looks at the wrong shows for inspiration. It uses Family Guy and Teen Titans to inspire it's comedy when it would have been better if it used Scrubs and Batman the Brave and the bold.

8. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Basically, what Dragnatek said sums up my overall opinion of this show.

I, however, would also like to add to the mix the overall disinterest of Loeb for animation and his lack of knowledge regarding the Marvel fanbase. And Quesada for going along with this and approving things left and right as CCO of Marvel. Oh, and not to mention Man of Action's ever-lasting quest for cash and very present frankmillerizing (a term I just coined, and it feels right). I just don't know why Paul Dini didn't put his foot down and had his own vision of the show (if any existed) pitched to the higher-ups. Or why he's still on the show.

9. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

10. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

The Youtube comments are WAYYYY worse and headache inducing than ANYTHING in that clip (if not the whole show)

Coulson is seriously THE best character on the show.

11. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Neither do I, but I was working on the assumption that some people might actually like the character, and might find the information useful, if they don't follow comics very closely (or at all).

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, the clip wasn't awful. Yes, its super absurd, but this show has done waaaaay worse.

13. ReijiAzuma

ReijiAzuma Gah, cuteness! My weakness!

I really, really, really am trying to understand Loeb's mentality. I'd understand naming his someone in tribute to his son, but doing so for the one character who's easily proven himself in the show's run to be the most unlikable out of the entire bunch? Eh, maybe the comic version won't act like as much of a jerk as his animated counterpart....

14. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I posted this on another board, but i'd like to see Firestar (unlikely i know) and/or Iceman make appearances as kind of an homage to Amazing Friends.

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

16. Captain Travis

Ughh that clip was unbearable. I wish this show, being a comedy, was at least funny.

17. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Marvel Animation Age has your first look at the October 2012 episode details for Ultimate Spider-Man. Click here for more!

18. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I will definitely be tuning in for the iTube episode of the "Not A Toy" episode. Captain America is always a good way to sucker me in.

19. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I feel elated knowing this show will be halfway done by the end of next month...

20. Captain Travis

wonder if they'll get Brian Bloom to voice Cap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.