1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Of which Ultimate Spider-Man has both.

2. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

hahahahah, Good plot and continuity

3. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I can't fault its internal continuity, I've never seen an instance where they violated internal consistency. I mean, c'mon, like with almost everything there is enough to critiicize without misrepresenting its problems.

4. bigdaddy313

5. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Well, several weeks (months?) of not being active and upon return I see that some topics are still fresh.

While not writing any official review for the aired Ultimate Spider-man episodes since episode seven (James Harvey's going to kill me one of these days :p), I nevertheless saw them all, and I have to say there has been little...well, to be honest, there has been no improvement. Not a single one of the characters got as much as a speck of development, not a single villain, new or reoccurring, got to be fleshed out, not a single storyline stood out in quality.

And the internal continuity of the show is barely a relevant factor in the equation. What this show lacks is actual humor and actual character growth. Oh, and actual characters.

Not to mention that cutaway gags are more horrible by the minute and that there's more need than ever for Deadpool to show up and decapitate this rendition of Spider-man and reclaim his divine-given right to break the fourth wall the way it should be broken.

I have little hope that season two will fare any better, but little hope is better than no hope, I suppose.

Oh, and on an unrelated subject, apparently Loeb will be one of the executive producers on the Whedon-made S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series. Hopefully he won't defecate on it too much like he does on so many shows that wind up under his helm.

6. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

They should have used She-Hulk instead. Peter trying to hide an attractive and outgoing seven green amazon from Aunt May would have been comedy gold. :evil:

7. tmntspider

tmntspider New Member

I am actually surprised the Hulk isn't crushing all the furniture. The first season is 26 episodes right? So it actually should be done before the end of the year then. I am surprised to see so many episodes airing so fast. But given that they are so interchangable there is a good chance I may have missed some because it doesn't actually seem like so many have aired.

8. bigdaddy313

wow its was bad, just wow

9. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

^ This so much, it's suffering from a major identity crisis. From what I seen in the past episodes they are barely utilizing his team and the quality between the episodes varies. I looked at a few new episodes and no progress has been made, it's sad.

10. TheSkeletonMan93

You know why they aren't utilizing his team? They don't know how. Spidey's never been on a team in any comics or other TV shows (not counting the old Marvel Team-Ups) and since Man of Action obviously has trouble coming up with their own ideas, they have no idea how to set up the team and can't write about them beyond hating each other.

USM is just a show trying to break the mold that's been set up for Spider-Man, and, as everyone can see, they aren't doing a very good job.

11. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

They could have looked at Avengers Academy in order to figure out how to do it right. But then again, Avengers Academy despite some critical accolades doesn't sell very well and Marvel's cancelling it, so I guess that that's why they went with the "hating each other" tactic. Well, that and they think the bickering will be funny to kids.

12. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I think they could've done it like the recent-ish Young Allies team, where they were friends who lived around the same area who were a team by virtue of being together when there's trouble. So have them just happen to go to the same school, some are friends and some aren't, and they team up every so often when they're all around for trouble. That way they could still have the team but have a reason why they're not in every episode.

13. bigdaddy313

At this point in the cartoon's circle there really is no point

14. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

Why do I get the feeling we may see a crossover with Marville next season.

15. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

This would have been amazing, but sadly, I have the feeling they'd think it would be too risque for a kids show.

Uhhhh, what about Amazing Friends? I have to say, despite defending the show, AF has a FAR better "team" concept and chemistry than USM has shown (and probably ever have) why MoA couldn't just emulate that is beyond me and a rather unfortunate let down.

16. TheSkeletonMan93

You're right, forgot that show. But you're right, AF's team concept is much better than USM's.

And their jokes are funnier, too.

17. bigdaddy313

18. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

It'd depend on how they'd do it. Considering nothing is sacred for USM, they could've had Jen be much, much younger. If she was 18-20, and "cool big sis" in terms of attitude towards Peter (possibly even giving Peter advice on how to deal with his problems) instead of being a flirt, the concept probably could have worked. Especially if Jennifer got to show off her human form a little. Peter introducing a human Jennifer to Aunt May would've probably been greatly amusing, or perhaps even added some drama like May meeting Betty Brant when she nearly dated Peter in SSM.

But that's if they even thought about using Jen. Considering how they're not even letting Banner out when it would've made great sense to introduce him here (so, you know, that Hulk and Peter could've come up with a counterstrike quicker), I have doubts that any kind of subtlety was considered for this show.

19. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Maybe tweak that idea a bit so that the illness causes her to shift between Jen and She-Hulk randomly and there's an idea for a better episode. ;)

Anyone else think the "Hulk Sick" plot is straight out of SHS? It does seem like something they'd do.

20. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Oh I'm sure certain members of the forum would get a kick out of that. :sweat:

It does feel that way, doesn't it? More than a few episodes had SHS-type ridiculousness IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.