"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Spider-Man swings back into action in the all-new Ultimate Spider-Man animated series from Marvel Animation and Disney XD! Use this thread - the fifth installment in this ongoing discussion - to converse about the latest news and rumors for this amazing new animated series.

[​IMG]
    Sundays at 11:00am (ET) on Disney XD.
    Ultimate Spider-Man Series Description:
    Stay tuned for further updates here and at Marvel Animation Age as more new develops! Also check for more details at Marvel Animation Age Ultimate Spider-Man subsite!

Previous Discussion:
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part One (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Two (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Three (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Four (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Do not post any improper or inflammatory material, in addition to conducting yourself in a proper and civilized manner. And please, don't post for just the sake of posting. Have something of worth to add to the conversation. We will issue warnings and infractions if we believe it necessary. Remember, keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

TV Guide has another preview and it just may be the silliest clip I've seen from the show. It does make me wonder if the audience will be able to tell that the crazy stuff is in Pete's head, or whether or not that will even matter.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

So Power Man is initially just called Luke before coming up with a code name on the spot?

4. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 New Member

April 1st is almost finally here. :anime:

I haven't seen that preview before, Rick Jones. But from watching it, I don't see anything wrong with it.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

That clip was....interesting. I wouldn't say it was funny, but I was grinning the whole time from the sheer lunacy.

6. macattack

macattack I see you!

Well you're right that there's a lot of sheer lunacy going on. :sweat:

I think the lunacy is going beyond The Brave and The Bold's lovable lunacy.

7. Rick Jones

:frylock:
    I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with it. If there's one person who enjoys his fair share of silly, it's me. I think the general idea of the introductions is a little cool, too, but the clip is definitely kind of off-putting. The one thing I probably don't like at all is the rock score that starts at the end. It just feels a little out of place to me.

8. MarvelManiac

MarvelManiac New Member

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I liked the "Nova creep" gag. Seems right in line with classic Spider-man quips and dialogue.

10. jph139

jph139 Immortal

I find that interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is pretty dramatic, of course: that originally Cage was imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit and let himself be experimented on in exchange for parole. If the same direction is here, I can see why it's not something he's be forthcoming with... of course, considering the show's more light-hearted nature, I'm not sure if they'll take it in that direction, but it's my first assumption.

11. Nygma

Nygma New Member

I heard they're using the Ultimate iteration of Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. That's NOT going to do anything to earn brownie points from me after we got the best incarnation of both alter ego's on Spectacular Spider-Man. That and I despised the Ultimate iteration of the Green Goblin.:mad: Also I liked Mary Jane being a gal pal to Peter Parker better when her name was "Gwen Stacy".

I know I sound like a bitter husband that has to get over his wife that died, but this show isn't helping any.

12. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

There's always an option of not watching.

13. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

If you don't like what people have to say, there is always the option of not responding; the same right you have to respond is the same right they have to complain about what they consider creative mistakes.

Narf! :narf:

14. Rick Jones

15. macattack

macattack I see you!

Right now, I'm going to wait to see how the show is when Dini isn't writing it. USM by virtue of using such a unique atmosphere has chosen a difficult tightrope. It's damn easy to screw up, like Teen Titans screwed up about 40% of the time IMO.

I know I have been critical and that's largely because shows like TT, TBATB, Superhero Squad and USM are acquired tastes to me. Teen Titans was always hit-or-miss. TBATB turned out to be mostly hit because its take on everybody was so affectionate and awesome. SSH was mostly miss just because I did not find the show very funny. USM seems to be following more of a TT approach to things so it'll probably wind up hit or miss.

16. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

Uh, except the concept of MJ being Peter's friend rather than girlfriend has been around for a while.

17. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Like, oh I dunno, from day one?

EDIT:

Precisely. I'm using my right to respond by giving sound, neutral advice in the form of a sentence.

18. macattack

macattack I see you!

You're being rude about it though. People have the right to complain, especially if they do watch. Complaining about shows you don't watch, to me, is far worse than complaining about shows you DO watch.

19. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

So, if I'm not using an emoticon, I'm automatically being rude?

Look, I'm sorry if it came off as harsh or abrasive, but it was nothing more than a suggestion. Frankly, I don't watch stuff that might not interest me or that I might find bad, and with that I reduce the number of headaches that would otherwise exist in the process.

And speaking of complaining, I find that not complaining at all is far better than complaining about something you either watch or don't watch, wouldn't you agree?

But then again, we're not living in a perfect world, now are we? :)

[the emoticon was added so that I don't turn out "rude" again]

Also one for the mods, back on topic: Ultimate Spidey starts tomorrow, two episodes and a whole lot to prove as well. Any final thoughts before the premiere?

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I think Ed wrote a great review and gave good voice to why I think the comedy in the show is good and works. The comedy is really in line with Spidey's quipping and sense of humor, the show simply exploits it and visualizes more.

I think we've seen enough anime to know that mixing absurd, goofy comedy along with drama and action can work. Look at how outrageous Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto can get at times but we still care about these characters and believe it in when they are in danger. When one of them gets hurt or dies, we are upset. The comedy doesn't have to take away from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.