1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Carlie Cooper was a relatively new addition to the mythos and particularly didn't come into the story until Peter was well into adulthood as a member of the NYPD. They could easily toy with her origin of course and make her into a teenager but I don't really see why they would.

2. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Plus Carlie has yet to be featured in the Ultimate Universe AFAIK.

3. RoryWilliams

Yeah. And even if they are taking liberties (White Tiger looks to be a brand new character and neither Cage nor Iron Fist have their Ultimate designs), it's not as though Spider-Man has a massive shortage of young female love interests. I wouldn't see the point in them bringing in a de-aged Carlie when they already have MJ, Liz, Gwen, and likely Kitty to choose from if they want teen angst/love triangle storylines.

4. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

TSSM borrowed some ideas/characters from the Ultimate line so I thought I'd throw the question of a reverse out there. From what I've seen though most fans don't seem to like Carlie so I wonder how much Marvel is really willing to still invest in her.

5. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Considering that teen angst/love triangles are not something Man of Action has been typically interested in the past, I don't think a lot of emphasis is going to be placed on that this time around. This seems to be more about "Spider-Man the superhero beating up supervillains" rather than "Peter Parker trying to balance everything in his life".

However, Marvel's latest TV moves seem to imply that they want to bring the newer characters from the comics into TV as see how well they're accepted. Red Hulk, Skaar, etc. They may want to throw Carlie, de-aged or not, into things. I don't know, I don't work at Marvel. But I wouldn't be surprised if Carlie got a guest spot at least.

If they do de-age Carlie, I could see her as a "cool big sis" type of character, looking out for Peter and being the protective and confident best friend (perhaps being a year or two older than Peter is), with Gwen being the punk (or perhaps be the smart, genius one a la TSSM) and MJ being the unattainable rich girl. But considering that Peter and MJ seem to know each other really well judging by the trailers . . .I don't think that's going to happen.

Ah, Peter Parker. The original harem protagonist.

6. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't like him. I don't like his Avengers work; from a literary standpoint its poor work. I can quote chapter and verse about work for hire, structure, characterization, dialogue... but at the end of the day, you say his work his good, I say its bad, can't really argue with subjective opinion. My great disgust with BENDIS! works is that he single-handedly was allowed to destroy the Avengers franchise for me, ending a decades-long tradition.

Well, until I am banned for expressing my opinion, y'all are just going to have to be the mature parties and ignore my little cathartic moments.

That said, as others have said, he can hardly say anything else but how spiffy the work du jour is; anything else would be career suicide. Its like writing cover-4 copy...

7. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

might as well include carlie.. I wonder if she'll replace deb whitman.. heh.. hopefully not in the neurotic ex department..

8. toonboy53

toonboy53 Member

I think they should put Carlie and make her around 19 or 20 that just finished the police academy. That way if the show goes to 10 seasons (it could happen) Maybe she could be a love interest when pete got out of highschool.

I liked Bendis' ultimate spiderman work up until issues of the second to last story arc before the relaunch of that Ultimatum event and I will admit that his writing wasn't what it used to be when he first started out. He was also behind things in the marvel universe that I hated like decimation. I still think bendis comes up with some great ideas though but I can totally understand why you don't like him.

9. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Wonder if the cartoon could make her more entertaining than the comic... she's bland as all get out in the books.

10. RoryWilliams

LOL at this thread.

Well, as I said, they already have a number of potential love interest characters and Carlie didn't appear in the canon until well into Peter's adulthood, so unless pushing the character to a mainstream audience is an actual concern here, I'm not sure why they'd use her at all.

11. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I wonder if the show will use the Spider-Island storyline. It had a very "mainstream" feel to it & I think it'd be pretty easy to adapt for the show.

12. RoryWilliams

Just thought this was a cute little quote from Greg Weisman.

13. toonboy53

toonboy53 Member

Yeah I saw that. Greg said he's not going to watch the show because if it's good he'll be envious and if it's bad he'll be frustrated. I don't blame him though.

14. Laugh Anyway

Laugh Anyway Member

I'm pretty much not going to watch the show for the same reason.

15. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Yeah, SSM left a hole in my heart that I just don't think USM can fill.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, so if its good, you'd be envious? I get why Greg would be, since he helped make Spectacular, but for us viewers, if its really good, than all the better for us, right?

17. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

Anyone else thinking they'll killoff Peter after the first couple of seasons and replace him with Miles like in the comics, cause personally I wouldn't be against it, I've the new ultimate spider-man and so far I've enjoyed what I've seen.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

If this were on another channel, maybe. But killing off the main character in a show on Disney XD? Probably not.

19. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Probably won't kill off Peter, but they can easily change Miles origin's to have him & Peter both be alive, fighting crime at the same time.

20. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

So he'd be what, the Scarlet Spider?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.