1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

As reported on Marvel Animation Age, the new Ultimate Spider-Man animated series is set to debut in 2012 from Marvel Animation and Disney XD! Use this thread - the third installment in this ongoing discussion - to converse about the latest news and rumors for this upcoming series.

[​IMG]

Ultimate Spider-Man Series Description:
    Stay tuned for further updates here and at Marvel Animation Age as more new develops!

Previous Discussion:
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part One (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Two (Spoilers)

2. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Drake Bell is opposite of Steven Weber again? (if you weren't aware Weber played the villain businessman in the Fairly Odd Parents movie)

The guy who played a parody of Spider-Man in Superhero Movie is now actually voicing Spider-Man in a cartoon? Well... that's a surprise to be sure.

And what's this I hear about another delay? Too bad.

4. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I don't think that's a bad thing.

I don't think that's a bad thing. Spider-Man and Ult Spider-Man both have a lot of interaction with their respective Marvel Universes.

Do you feel the same way about Young Justice?

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

IGN goes pretty in depth in describing what was seen in the USM footage (beware of anything that comes after the Spidey description as it's pretty spoiler heavy about Avengers. I didn't even attempt to read as I scrolled down, yet a massive spoiler managed to make itself known to me). It seems that the comedy in this show will really feature some pretty cartoony tactics like cutaways, sight gags, and fourth wall breaking. I don't think this has to be a necessarily bad thing but it just makes me wonder how the heck this will all mesh with the more serious or dramatic side of the show, especially when they'll devote an entire episode to something like Spider-Ham.

I just can't begin to compute the logic of this particular gag.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That description kind of gives me the feeling it will kind of be like Teen Titans...maybe a pinch wackier. I liked TT so I'll probably like USM too.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It made think of the Titans series as well. I like TT but I guess I was just expecting something a little more similar to Young Justice but with funnier dialogue driven comedy. Now I'm almost picturing a testosterone filled action cartoon with the comedy stylings of a Looney Tunes short.

8. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Honestly i hope not. I despise Teen titans.

9. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

That actually sounds kinda awesome.

10. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

Impossible Man, mayhaps?

11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if they dropped the superhero team aspect of the show. It seemed to be a pretty important part of the show when they last released press statements for the show but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all during the ComicCon panel.

12. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I thought other Teen heroes were supposed to be on this show?

13. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

You know as a series, I'd be okay with this as I liked Teen Titans, but I hated the obnoxious "HAY GUYZ! WE'RE TOTALLY KAWAII ANIMU DESU" moments in the animation.

That's just me though, other than that I'm HYPED!

14. The Octopus

The Octopus The Postage Stamp

I return from Comic-Con friends! And I was fortunate enough to attend the Marvel Television Panel. I will share the overview of what I saw, so please ask questions if you want clarification. :)

They showed (as you probably know by now) a sizzle reel/interviews of the cast and crew of the show, such as...
    • Drake Bell - Peter Parker/Spider Man
    • Steven Weber - Norman Osborne
    • Clark Gregg - Agent Coulson
    • JK Simmons - J. Jonah Jameson
    • Chi McBride - Nick Fury
    • Stan Lee - Stan Lee
    • Eric Radomoski (Not sure if thats spelled right)
    • Jeph Loeb
    • Paul Dini
    • Joe Quesada
    Throughout the reel they discussed the unique feel of the show and how they would have unique moments that would accentuate and highlight various things to really make it feel more "involved." In essence, it's just a visual flair at key moments in the show (the example shown was the web-slinging, his hands were highlighted in a scene).

Also, both Mr. Bell and the grand Paul Dini were there (albeit briefly) and gave the show their praise.

And finally, they showed some of the animation footage from the sizzle reel.
    • Scene 1: Spider Man swinging around (with J Jonah talking about him on the jumbo screen) and being chased by a green, energy based villain. It had some fourth-wall moments, such as Spidey being turned into a toaster and him showing him sewing his costume (he claimed it wasn't hand-sewn).
    • Scene 2: It was Spidey vs Venom and he's basically inside Venom, trying to escape the beast. I think there was more to it, but my memory isn't to clear on it.
    • Scene 3: Spidey fighting Dr. Doom with some younger heroes. There was an African-American one with a yellow outfit (Luke Cage maybe), a female in a complete white outfit, and I think Iron Fist (he had a green/yellow outfit).
    • Scene 4: Spidey driving a motorcycle in a subway, while being chased by a Omnidroid-like robot (has tentacales and floats). Simultaneously, he is talking to Mary Jane on the phone (whom sounded like VA Tara Strong).
    The animation felt unique almost like a mix of Avengers' Lotto Animation studio and YJ's Moi. Sooo that is the least of my worries.

The show, as many of you have expressed, had a Teen Titans quality to it, but if done right it can make the show all the more fun. That is Ultimate Spiderman's biggest thing running against it at the moment, is the balancing act, considering it's only shown the fun, campier side although they said it would have some seriousness, not enough could ruin the show.

#14 The Octopus, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  15. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

One thing I have to say after watching all the Spider-Man cartoons recently; this show has the best animated look for Spider-Man's costume since the 80s cartoons

16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be super cool if that's Colleen Wing

17. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Teen Titans had some good episodes (mostly with Slade + the series finale which was incredibly well done), but I do think the show was mediocre overall and did have some atrocious episodes, particularly in season 5.

Whatever, it's pretty clear that the USM toon doesn't seem to be in my taste. I'll keep paying attention because I love Spider-Man but my expectations will remain low.

And FTR, I fully expected that this cartoon would try to take a different approach than SSM, it was virtually a guarantee. I have no problems with that. The problem I have is whether this cartoon is going to be any good. I remain unconvinced that it will be, though I guess if the sizzle reel winds up somewhere like the Legend of Korra trailer did that might change my mind.

18. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

My expectations for this show have dropped a little. I love meta humour and Spider-Ham, but I don't want them in my Spider-Man cartoons. Those things are just too goofy and belong more in Super Hero Squad.

The name is a big sticking point with people because this is at odds with the comic-book namesake. The "train to be a real super-hero and become The Ultimate Spider-Man." line feels like they're trying hard to justify the name they know doesn't fit the series. It'd be like making a Spider-Man 2099 cartoon but it being about Peter being stuck in the future and getting into wacky hijinks, Miguel O'Hara no where to be found. This isn't Ultimate it's 'Marvel Adventures Team-Up: Staring Spider-Man' although that might be a disservice to the Marvel Adventures comics.

This show could be good, it could be funny, but I don't think it'll be Spider-Man. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Also if it is true that Luke Cage and Iron Fist are part of Peter's Teen Team then I will be annoyed. Don't de-age two classic characters just it fit the premise of the show when there are many, many, more teenage heroes that can fill those slots.

19. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I cannot stand when they do that - its a slap in the face to the characters.

20. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Did you feel the same way about Young Justice?

I think it'd be an odd choice to do that, since I think Cage and Iron Fist would for great instructors, but I wouldn't be annoyed if they do de-age the characters. I'd have to see how it works first before I condemn it. A lot of people thought de-aging Iron Man for Armored Adventures was stupid and disrespectful, but I think it worked out fine, and that show's first season was great. Haven't seen the season 2 premiere yet, so I don't know if the new story editor is gonna be as good as Yost, but I'm hoping he will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.