1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 11 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Even though I'm satisfied this series came to a tasteful conclusion, I'm gonna miss seeing this style of animation. :( It's probably not as good as Spectacular Spider-Man or EMH, but it's still probably the best tv animation Marvel made recently. I do hope they continue using this style of animation for AA or Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the other shows will continue to use Spidey every now and then, so I imagine it will most likely be this version of the character (though I'm not sure they would get Drake Bell to reprise the role).

And after everything Spidey went through in USM, him appearing in outer space alongside the Guardians would probably be the next logical step. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From Wacker's Tumblr

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

That's not even the snarkiest answer on his page:

(December 15th, 2016)
    "Question: The world needs the X-Men.
    Answer: Apparently not."

Hot dang, that's savage.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's also kind of sad though. I mean, it's been years since kids have had the chance to watch the X-Men in a cartoon :(.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I guess that answers the question whether Peter from USM is coming back or not (at least for the foreseeable future).
    Agreed, but to be honest, it happens. I didn't grow up with a Spider-Man show save for re-runs of the 1967 series.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scrappy-Fan92

^You didn't watch either of the two Spider-Man shows from 1981?

9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

They weren't airing as re-runs. Only the 1967 series, so I didn't see them when I was a kid.

I also didn't see Spider-Man: The New Animated Series on TV, barely saw any X-Men: Evolution, and didn't care for the animation of Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, so I only started watching modern Marvel shows with The Spectacular Spider-Man.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

That's the exact opposite of my experience.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scrappy-Fan92

What I'm getting from this thread is that we need a new X-Men cartoon. Preferably with Wolverine downplayed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, I read that on your Spider-Man 1967 50th anniversary thread post. It's pretty interesting.

One thing I wanted to bring up was that, just like kids today aren't growing up with an X-Men show, I felt bad that they're growing up perhaps not knowing MJ too well thanks to her limited use in Ultimate Spider-Man and her absence in The Amazing Spider-Man movies. I hope the new show and the MCU Spider-Man bring the character back to the spotlight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or that she has more to offer as a character and as someone in Peter's life then another Spider-hero who also happens to share a lot in common with Lois Lane :sweat:.

I also think, with how downplayed to nonexistent the Bugle was in this series (outside Jameson's ramblings that were cut out of season 4), we missed out on seeing Robbie Robertson in a Spider-Man cartoon, or the rest of the Bugle gang :(.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It feels weird to think about how much we've seen and heard JJJ but how little anyone's ever actually interacted with him on the show. He just became an annoying sound byte. The only time we even see the Bugle office is probably when Beetle is after JJJ. This just reminds me of watching that one Lego short where Spidey fought Venom in the Bugle building and it felt so fresh to me after not seeing it on USM.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Agreed. I feel like Mary Jane was a prominent part of the show during season one and that was one of the best things season one did. Turning her, alongside nearly everyone else, into superheroes seemed unnecessary and took away a lot of Peter's relationships with his grounded support characters.

I did miss the Bugle crew and the fact that we only saw the inside of the building once in the season one episode Beetle Mania. Jameson seemed overused in seasons one to three and then he pretty much disappeared, MJ style :D, in season four. No Robbie or Betty Brant was disappointing as well.

As many issues as season one had, I thought season two was a solid improvement followed by season three and then season four as the best season storytelling wise. I don't understand people's complaints about the second season to be honest. Anyway, that's kind of my look back at some parts of the show even though it's not over where I live. :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Did Jameson ever once say the word "Parker" in the entirety of the series?

Heck, the only time I can recall him and Spidey having anything close to a direct encounter was that episode with John/Man-Wolf, and that was still via a TV screen and barely a second o_O.

As awesome as it was that they were able to get JK Simmons back as Jonah, because he is J. Jonah Jameson, and he made the most out of the material he was given, I feel like they kind of wasted him here :(.

I think season 2 was definitely a step-up from season 1, especially the episodes focused on the team, though I think there was still a steep learning curve and quite a few clunkers.

Season 3, for my money, was when USM really started stepping up and keeping the quality consistent on a good level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From Wacker's Tumblr:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the Web Warriors too. I just wish we could've actually see more of them together as a team then we actually did :sweat:.

Also kind of funny to think they were more releant this season then the actual season called "Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors" :p.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I found this interesting tidbit for an unused story idea from the show, as revealed at Marvel Animation panel at Wonder Con:

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that uh...that does sound like an USM season 1 episode :sweat:.

Can't say that was what I was hoping for when it came to a Spidey/Black Widow team-up episode, given she's the only main movie Avenger who never got one :shrug:.

Feels like it would've made more sense to have it be Sue Storm and make it an FF team-up o_O.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.