1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. Acres is a webcomic now for some reason

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by mobo85, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Given Mars's love of vintage Jim Davis stuff and U.S. Acres in particular, I thought this was worth pointing out: apparently, the people at Paws realized that there are only so many items of merchandise you can slap Garfield's fat orange mug on, as for some reason they've decided to revive reruns of his red-headed stepchild, "U.S. Acres," as a webcomic this week. It's certainly unexpected, but if you think about it from a marketing standpoint, it is kind of an interesting idea- I'm sure there are many people who remember the characters from the TV show but are unaware that they were a comic strip first. But I'm also surprised at how much the big cats in Muncie dropped the ball on this idea- first off by not publicizing the return other than a few references on the official Garfield social-networking pages about Garfield going back to see some old friends from the farm and a mention by Jim Davis himself in an interview on a USA Today blog (which also gave him another excuse to field the "I thought loneliness was really scary and Garfield has NOT been dead since 1989" thing he's most likely getting tired of).

The other oddity is that rather than creating new strips or doing a "Best of U.S. Acres" choosing ones from the archives, they seem to be going straight through to the original date- which isn't a bad idea, but creates oddities in terms of dates and such- since 1986 and 2010 do not have the same day format, Sunday strips end up running on Tuesdays. And although the site has a "archive" of backlog strips going back to August (not going to the very beginning of the strip, but up to the point after Roy was introduced but shortly before Wade was), starting on the day they did (October 1) and going straight through caused the debut strip to not only be the middle of a storyline, but also caused the debut strip to be nothing but eyeballs in the dark. Scott Kurtz, a cartoonist whom Davis himself is fond of (really- he once sent Kurtz a fan drawing of Garfield standing next to his cat character Scratch), has his own thoughts on how Paws blundered on the launch of their first webcomic. (I also second Kurtz's recommendation of "Oh Brother," if only for the fact that it answers a question no one asked: "What if the creator of "The Secret Saturdays" teamed up with the guy who draws Slylock Fox and they did a comic strip together?")

I wish Davis and Paws the best of luck in reviving U.S. Acres as a webcomic and hopefully bringing the characters back in the public eye (is it too much too hope for new U.S. Acres strips if this goes over well?). I just hope they get their act together and at the very least publicize it some more.

2. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

They skipped over the one where Roy dumps paint into Orson's mud hole and turns him plaid. Something tells me we're never going to see that one in color again.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They've gotta be playing with us now.

I'm let down, actually. I can see all these strips already; when I saw the words "relaunched as a webcomic" I was hoping Davis and Koth were creating new material. I don't think it's far-fetched that they would.

A lot of people reporting this have either linked to my US Acres pages or used one of my scans as an image. When I saw that Scott Kurtz made a post about it, I thought "wow, maybe Kurtz reads my site!"

Kurtz does not read my site.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is interesting, but only if new material comes in.
    I realized that U.S. Acres were 10x funnier in Garfield and Friends then in a comic strip.

5. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!!!
    [​IMG]