1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

TZ Talkback - "Looney Tunes Super-Stars: Foghorn Leghorn & Friends: Barnyard Bigmouth": A Letdown

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SB20xx, Dec 9, 2010.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

2. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Frankly, I never cared for the change of a different Dawg in 'Weasel Stop', but that's just my opinion.

So it's yet another mixed bag, and I'm displeased to learn that the overlong disclaimer from the first two is still there.
    But on the other hand, Warner is thankfully ensuring that fans and general consumers know which ones are double-dips, and they're resisting temptation to release shorts from the dark era (i.e. the '60s). Unless we're in for a 'Daffy & Speedy: Fast Frenemies' disc in the future. Brrrrr.

So, the inclusion of the cheapo 'Hillbilly Hare' clone 'Crow's Feat' is a bit of a waste of space, but thankfully, better that than the clip show episode 'Feather Bluster'.

3. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

You know, I may be in the very small minority(along with a certain member from another site), but I truthfully would not mind a Daffy/Speedy disc. Yeah, the cartoons aren't very good at all, but I did spend a good part of my childhood viewing them, thanks to Nickelodeon. If a disc did come out priced at 15 bucks or so, I would more than likely get it. I guess it's a true case of nostalgia, I don't know.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

There are only about five D/S cartoons I wouldn't mind owning. The rest... meh.

I will say that D/S cartoons are at least better than the Larriva Road Runners from the same era. Granted, that ain't saying much...

5. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

I certainly would love to own all of the Speedy-Daffy Duck shorts on DVD. I found those to be quite funny. Daffy is these wasn't so goofy or over-the-top but more of a villian. There was this one short where Daffy and Speedy were stranded on an island and Daffy had all of the food and Speedy wanted some and, of course, Daffy being greedy and looking out just for himself didn't share it. Anyone remember this one? Anyways ... these shorts were made in the 60s, the last decade that produced the original LT shorts, which explains why the characterization of Daffy changed so much since his first appearance in, I think, the 30s. I would definitely spend the money if they came out with a Daffy-Speedy DVD that includes all of the shorts they were in together if the price was right.

6. Tom_H

Tom_H New Member

Thanks for the review, Speedy Boris!

What a shame. Foghorn is a major character; why has he been so under-represented? Why are there non-Foghorn cartoons on a Foghorn set? If there must be non-Foghorn cartoons, why not disperse them evenly throughout the set, rather than lumping them all together at the end? (The same thing happened with the Road Runner disc on set 2 of GC.)

Then again, I never understand WB's policy on which Looney Tunes they release and which ones they don't. I was watching GC cartoons again with my roommate's nieces and nephews when they visited, and the order is just beyond screwy. For instance: There are only three Bugs Bunny cartoons with the Tortoise. Why not spread them out rather than putting two on the same disc? For that matter, why have "Rabbit Transit" followed by "Tortoise Meets Hare"? Why is "Tweetie Pie" (the first pairing of T & S) buried in the middle of a disc, when the cartoons that ran before it are all dependent on understanding the variations in the "Tweetie Pie" formula?

Why did "A Wild Hare" never get a proper release on GC, but the dreadful "Elmer's Candid Camera" has shown up twice on DVD, both times at the beginning of a disc, no less? Are they trying to make kids dislike Bugs Bunny? (EDIT: I just saw that "A Wild Hare" was also on the second set - the "Essential" Set. So that's good, at least.)

Of course, it's not the end of the world, and there are much bigger issues in life than these. But sometimes I wonder if the WB people get really drunk before making their cartoon choices. ;)

Thanks again for the insightful review!

7. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

But the Foghorn DVD does contain one double-dip ("A Broken Leghorn"). And some '60s cartoons have been released on DVD. If you're just referring to the 1965-1969 era, some of those were included in GC Vol. 4, GC Vol. 6, and Daffy Duck: Frusterated Fowl.

And put me down for a "Daffy and Speedy: Fast Frenemies" disc. In fact I wouldn't mind if that was done like this Foghorn disc, ending with some non-Daffy and Speedy post-1964 cartoons (a Larivva RR or two, a Cool Cat, a Merlin, and something else from the end of the 1960s).

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"A Wild Hare" was also included on the Academy Awards Animation Collection (15 Winners, 26 Nominees). But yeah, quite baffling that it never got on a Golden Collection, given that it's arguably Bugs's "official" debut.

9. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

It was include in What's Up Doc?, a Bugs Bunny anniversary special included in one of the volumes. It was presented uncut, with original title card and undubbed lines, but also unrestored or included as it's own as part of the main program.

10. Thrasher RJ

Thrasher RJ SPOON!

Great review! I looked at the contents of this DVD and I am going to pass this one up. Those Daffy/Speedy cartoons are so bad, they are just hilariously bad. If this is a DVD based on Foghorn Leghorn, then why are those cartoons on the set?

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Just so nobody is confused, I think Metalhead is talking about two separate things. The non-Foghorn cartoons on "Barnyard Bigmouth" are:
    * Cheese It, The Cat!
    * Crow's Feat
    * Gopher Broke
    * Mouse-Placed Kitten
    * Mutt in a Rut, A
    * Two Crows From Tacos

There are no Daffy/Speedy cartoons on "Barnyard Bigmouth". The Daffy/Speedy stuff was merely "what if" discussion for future sets.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Are those four Foghorn shorts available anywhere else on DVD? Are they on any of the Loony Tunes Golden Collections?

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

None of them are on any Golden Collections. Only "Lovelorn Leghorn" is on DVD, though as a bonus cartoon on "I'll See You in My Dreams" (where I imagine it's unrestored).

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Thanks. I imagine there will have to be another Foghorn collection down the line sometime. I hope. I'm not the biggest Foghorn Leghorn fan, but my father-in-law is, so I'm trying to get him everything available on DVD.

I don't understand why Warner Bros just doesn't invest in releasing either Complete Loony Tunes Collections in chronological order or Complete character collections. I would really love to have all the Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck shorts (independent of each other) as well as the team ups (Bugs/Daffy, Porky/Daffy, Speedy/Daffy, etc.) complete and in chronological order. Even though the "Golden Collections" have some great stuff on them, they don't seem to follow any type of specific order from volume to volume, and it seems like these new "Super Stars" and "Essential" collections are missed opportunities that are too flawed. Shame.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

If I had to guess, WB must've felt there was less interest/demand in the early shorts (Bosko, Buddy, Beans, all those musical one-shots) than for Bugs and co. I know that personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not owning any hypothetical chronological sets of 1934-1936 cartoons. For me, it wasn't until 1937 that things picked up, largely thanks to Tex Avery and Bob Clampett coming onboard as directors. (Yes, I know Avery technically started in 1935. But he really improved in '37)

16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think it was recently suggested that the Bosko shorts would be released on Warner Archive. That would be disappointing, but whatever. I know that I too would like chronological Looney Tunes sets. The fact that there are just too many unrestored shorts in no order whatsoever is the problem, added to the cost production for the sets.

It's really frustrating that these sets are incomplete.

#16 the greenman, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

"Gopher Broke" [11/01/58] apparently has its original soundtrack, eferring to it being one of the shorts done during the 1957-58 musicans strike, so stock music credited to John Seely of what is now Ole Georg Production Music, alias OGM, a division of Capitol Records, also Capitol Special Products, but actually largely by British mood composer Phillip Green, [with Seely getting the only credit since he was the compilation library boss], was used in this and five other complete shorts,plus parts of some earlier and later and of some non-Looney Warner live and animation efforts ["The Bell Science Series" with Dr.Frank Baxter, i.e.].

"Gopher Brplke" [11/15/58] is, of course, the source so dominant in that era, as discussed numerous times before [among the official five others using this, Foghorn's own "Weasel While You Work", 9/27/58, "A Bird in a Bonnet" with Granny, Sylvester & Tweety, 10/04/58, Roadrunner/Coyote's "Hook, Line and Stinker', 10/11/58-two years before the Bugs Bunny show-and the lone Bugs short of this nature, "Pre-Hysterical Hare", 11/01/58,,pluis "Gopher Brpke",11/15/58, then"Hip Hip Hurry", 12/06/58, another Roadrunner short].

18. Mark The Shark

I am among those fans who would like to one day see all the Warner Bros. cartoons released on DVD. (But can you imagine the price tag on a "complete collection" set?)

Here's one possible way of dealing with the Daffy/Speedy "problem." How about releasing a set that includes a few of Daffy's and Speedy's earlier, better individual cartoons alongside the later teamed shorts? (Actually, that wouldn't work now, because I believe all of Speedy's pre-DFE cartoons have already been released. Never mind. Good idea, though.)

They could do the same thing with the Road Runner, and I'll bet if the Road Runner and Coyote get a "Super Stars" release, that's exactly what they'll do. (Which is fine with me -- every WB cartoon can't be a classic, and if we want all of them -- not everyone does, but some do -- that includes the ones that aren't the best. But I do retain fond memories of watching those on Saturday mornings as a kid, when I didn't know the difference between "good" and "bad" Road Runner cartoons.) If they can release 1990s revival Looney Tunes, then why not the 1960s ones?

A question: At what point do you get to select widescreen or fullscreen? My copy seems to only play fullscreen for all the shorts. (Which is fine with me, because I prefer my cartoons UNCROPPED anyway. Just curious.)

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

For me, it was after the long disclaimer that you can't skip.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Just wanted to mention that this DVD is now also available to download on iTunes under the title "Foghorn Leghorn and Friends". It's only $4.99, which is a pretty good deal for 15 cartoons.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, the aspect ratio on the iTunes downloads is Academy, not widescreen.