1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Twin Peaks" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Twin Peaks "The Return: Part 15"

I would have liked it if we had gotten more this episode, but in truth, even if the mythology could have (and should have) been pushed farther, I think it's important we got the character stuff we did. I kind of don't care about what happens with Big Ed, Norma, and Nadine, but it's been 25 freaking years. Not to resolve it would be storytelling malpractice. The fact that Lynch does here tells me he understands that stories DO have endings, and is planning to give us one (whatever it is).

Similarly, as sad as I am that Catherin Coulson died, I am relieved Lynch was insightful enough to see it coming, and give Margaret Lanterman an entirely moving death scene. Coulson plays the heck out of it, and I imagine there probably wasn't a dry eye on the set when she did it. This must have been VERY painful for both Lynch and Coulson, in a way very few scenes are. This is not just our goodbye with the Log Lady. It's Lynch's goodbye to Coulson. And I feel after this scene, that we've all earned this. This will probably be one of the most special scenes of the relaunch. Although I kinda want to smack Hawk for not comforting her more, and being so stoic as she's pouring her heart out.

I predict Cooper is gonna be normal next week. Which is partly why it's so frustrating the last we saw of Dougie was him electrocuting himself. It's been hinted that in order for Cooper to get his "self" back, Dougie would have to "die". I think sticking a fork into an electrical socket qualifies.

I have no idea what happened to Gersten Haywood in the 25 year interim. It actually bums me out thinking out it. Maybe Doc Haywood should have spent less time Skyping and catching trout, and instead taking care of his mess daughter.

Interesting that Bobby and James seem to hold no animosity towards each other anymore. What is especially interesting is that JAMES was the "nice guy" on the original series, and Bobby the legit criminal. It's interesting their roles have been reversed, even if current Jimmy is still a thousand times more decent than teenage Bobby.

Who is Judy? I would guess the person who unlocked the door. Interesting way to work around David Bowie's death, and just based on how fudged up things were getting, I knew after it was revealed Jeffries was still alive, that there was no chance Mr. C was going to get the upper hand and kill him (whatever he was). I love the idea that one of the "good guys" from the original series has so fully absorbed and embraced their destinies with the Lodges, that they can actually punk The Familiars with no effort. It's a tragedy neither Cooper nor Major Briggs got to that point, but at some point Philip Jeffries stared into the brink of darkness and said, "I'll be running this place inside of a week." I love that.

Betting Mr. C tells Richard next week he's his father. Whether he admits it's because he raped his mother while she was still in a coma is TBD.

I DON'T love the Audrey stuff though. What I dislike about it is it seems to be a thread Lynch set up so late precisely because he has no plans to resolve it, and just wants to get the audience to ask the big questions. Which is fine. For any other character besides Audrey Horne. Outside of Laura Palmer, Sherilyn Fenn was practically the female lead on the original series. I want some closure for Audrey and Coop, dang it!

Speaking of Sherilyn Fenn, she and Madchen Amick are not the only middle aged actresses who still look like goddesses. I just realize Chantal is Jennifer Jason Leigh, and she could pass for somebody in her 30's. The Fast Times fan in me is very happy. I think Phoebe Cates deserves to have aged as graciously too.

The scene at the end in the Road House was very striking and creepy, but I predict like most of the Road House scenes this season, it will have nothing to do with anything.

Love the Margaret Lanterman dedication card in the credits, the first one ever given for a Twin Peaks character who died. I think the Log Lady earned it.

Freddie the green hand guy being arrested and put in the Sheriff's station, strikes me as the show putting all of the major Twin Peaks characters in place. Whether Gordon, Albert, Diane, and Coop join them for the grand finale is to be determined, but Lynch seems to be making sure the Big Mythology characters that reside in Twin Peaks, are all in the Sheriff's station.

Good week, although with three hours left, I wish it were better. ****.

2. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Instead of ending the episode with the usual band number, I wish they would have ended the episode with the death of the Log Lady.

I admit after watching the episodes, reading recaps of the episode, and reading Fone Bond postings,
    I am still lost on whats going on about 75% of the time.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't want to speculate who Judy is because everyone has a theory and I have a feeling none of them are correct.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I think it is more than likely Lynch will NEVER reveal who Judy is.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Twin Peaks "The Return, Part 16"

Literally the episode we have waited 25 years for.

I have no idea what is going to happen in next week's finale. I have no clue if Lynch is going to satisfy us, stick us with a cliffhanger again, or do something ambiguous. What I am certain of is it's going to amazing.

Cooper's goodbye to Janey E was SO moving to me, because you can tell he actually loves her and Sonny Jim. But he knows he doesn't belong there. And he is insightful enough to task the One-Armed Man to restore Dougie when all is said and done. Hopefully under Cooper's influence, instead of Mr. C's, so he won't have all of the previous Dougie's failings.

Did not expect Diane to be a doppelganger, but the fact that Mr. C raped her was not a surprise. What was it that Tammy called those beings? Do we have a proper name for them now?

I am not upset at all at what happened to Hutch and Chantal. I frankly consider them dying tying up a loose end. What kind of neighborhood is this?

I have to say the Mitchum Brothers are literally the best characters either Robert Knepper or Jim Belushi have ever played. I love them both so much, and when Cooper describes them as having hearts of gold, and promising to vouch for them to law enforcement, I am extremely happy.

When Mr. C says "Goodbye my, son," upon Richard's death, that was like the most cold-blooded thing ever. What is cool about it is that Lynch already knows people are going to immediately theorize that Richard is Mr. C's kid, so he doesn't bother (or even NEED) to explain it any further. Which is what is so cool about David Lynch. He's willing to let things speak for themselves, and have the audience figure things out on their own, without being spoonfed. Contrary to popular opinion, Twin Peaks has a Narrative that makes sense, and that some people can definitely follow. But you have to put in some of the work yourself. A lot of people are confused by Twin Peaks. I am not for the simple reason that I am obsessed with it, and have gone over it backwards and forwards. And once you do that, things totally fit.

I suspect part of the reason Jerry was as upset as he was, is that he knew it was Richard who died. I don't see how, because he was using the binoculars backwards, and it was night out, but that's the only reason I can see him being that personally devastated.

I love the stuff with Audrey. For the first time ever. Because it hints that it WILL be resolved, which is something none of the previous weeks did. Maybe she's insane, maybe she isn't. But it seems to me she is trapped in a Lodge, either White or Black, or possibly one we haven't heard of before. Probably by Mr. C. And it is going to be Dale Cooper coming to her rescue. I am sure of it. That dance just reminded me that Sherilyn Fenn still makes me all hot and bothered, and I still ship her and Coop after all. 25 years later. C'mon, Coop. Your woman needs you.

"I AM the FBI." If any Twin Peaks fan did not punch the air and cheer at that, you aren't really a Twin Peaks fans.

So amazing. This relaunch is everything I could have hoped for. Thank you, Mark Frost and David Lynch. *****.

6. Road to Gotham

Special Agent Dale Cooper is BACK, Baby!. And headed towards to Twin Peaks. YAY! :D

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It was hard after getting beaten down with Dougie the whole season to get excited. Hopefully the last two episodes make up for it. Like Cooper better be back in Twin Peaks the very next episode.

Keep in mind, some entire subplots will take episodes off this season.

Also, how is Jerry Horne not dead yet after being lost in the woods for days? He couldn't have had enough supplies to live on.

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I am honestly a little bit terrified about tonight. I have literally waited for an ending to Twin Peaks for 25 years. Now that it's here, will it possibly live up to my expectations? We'll find out in a little over 13 hours.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Less than two hours.

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Here we go.

"I have a feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Twin Peaks "The Return: Part 17"

Time travel? Did Coop actually prevent Laura Palmer's murder? Is Pete fishing in an alternate timeline? So many questions.

I love that they used CGI to convincingly recreate Frank Silva as BOB. That was a pretty cool climax. Everyone was there.

I honestly don't have too much to say about this part, other to say that I mostly liked it. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but the rest of the episode was great. ****.

Twin Peaks "The Return: Part 18"

Underwhelming and disappointing, especially since it turns out last week was the last we've seen of Audrey Horne. I was expecting a mindblowing story point with her and they didn't even bother.

I'll say one thing: Laura Dern still looks great naked. If that's not a body double, bravo.

I imagine Cooper seeing her note where she calls him Richard and herself Linda sort of hints to me about what happens to the people in Lynch films after the second person wakes up in an entirely new identity. This is what happens once Betty and Rita are gone to everybody else in the universe. I believe this scene is done to show us a person on the other side of that for once.

Similarly, the ending, and the hint that this is NOT 2017, and either takes place later or sooner, is another thing to hint that the Universe was woken up to a new identity, with Coop being the only one aware things changed. To be blunt, I hate this idea. But to be blunter than that, it's still a MUCH better ending than what we were stuck with for 25 years. This is not the ending I would have liked, or that I hoped for. But it is far better than having Coop stuck in the Black Lodge forever.

Besides, not everything in the Universe seems to have reset, at least not all at once. Diane appears to be who she is in Glastonbury Grove, at least until she and Coop boink. And Coop is still FBI. And Janey-E and Dougie are clearly reunited. Whatever this potential new universe is, it's not so bad.

I was disappointed, but it's not like this is the first time. The last time I was outright heartbroken. I'll take disappointed any day of the week. **1/2.

12. Road to Gotham

What a STRANGE and UNSATISFYING ending this was for me.
    Coopers's time in Twin Peaks was way too short.
    Was hoping for more interaction between the characters we know.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Jeff Jensen's EW recap of the finale is finally up. Worth the wait.

http://ew.com/recap/twin-peaks-season-3-finale/

After reading it, I've come to the conclusion that Jensen is mildly crazy. Which means he's the right guy to recap the show.

I also posted something in my Un-Iverse thread on The Drawing Board that I should repost here:

A LOT of people were disappointed with that ending. Even I think it kind of sucked. But it helped me out a TON creatively so I am unable to commiserate with everyone else. Because the ending of Twin Peaks sucked, the ending to The Un-Iverse is now gonna be great.

14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Jeff Jensen is leaving Entertainment Weekly, but before he went, he did an excellent interview with David Lynch.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch-twin-peaks-finale/

Bottom line: Lynch is not as adverse to more Twin Peaks as other news studios have reported. But he is also pragmatic. If it does happen, we wouldn't see it for at least four years. As of now, the finale just aired, and it's too early for Lynch to think about it. But if Showtime is game, and if Lynch (who is in his mid-seventies) lives another decade, it's not out of the question.

I actually would prefer to live with the ending we got. It was unsatisfying, but a million times better than Season 2's, and I feel that if it did come back, Lynch would be inclined to stick us with an even worse ending. But like The Return, I feel any potential season 4 to Twin Peaks would wind up satisfying in its own way, no matter what the ending. Even if I didn't like the ending here, I would be lying if I didn't say the rest of the new season was amazing.

Looking forward to The Final Dossier. Amazon has pre-order for it for less than 15 bucks. Definitely getting it and maybe at LEAST getting a clue of what happened to Audrey.

15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer