TV Guide's 60 Greatest Cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TnAdct1, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

On Tuesday, TV, as part of their series of articles celebrating the top 60 of various subjects in celebration of its 60th anniversary, released their list of the top 60 greatest cartoons (as in those that aired on TV).

First, the top 10:

1. The Simpsons
    2. The Flintstones
    3. Looney Tunes
    4. The Peanuts specials
    5. Scooby-Doo
    6. Rocky and Bullwinkle
    7. Batman: The Animated Series
    8. Spongebob Squarepants
    9. Family Guy
    10. South Park

The remaining fifty, in alphabetical order:

Adventure Time
    Animaniacs
    Archer
    Batman Beyond
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold
    Battle of the Planets
    Beavis and Butt-Head
    Bob's Burgers
    Daria
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Dora the Explorer
    Drawn Together
    The Fairly OddParents
    Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
    Futurama
    George of the Jungle
    Gravity Falls
    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
    The Huckleberry Hound Show
    Iron Man: Armored Adventures
    Jem and the Holograms
    The Jetsons
    Jonny Quest
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
    Kim Possible
    King of the Hill
    The Magilla Gorilla Show
    Mighty Mouse
    My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
    Phineas and Ferb
    The Pink Panther Show
    Pinky and the Brain
    Popeye the Sailor
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Ren & Stimpy
    Rugrats
    Samurai Jack
    The Smurfs
    The Spectacular Spider-Man
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    Super Friends
    Superman: The Animated Series
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Tom and Jerry
    ThunderCats
    Underdog
    Woody Woodpecker
    The Yogi Bear Show

Personally, I'd probably get rid of some of the 21st Century titles (seriously, there's way better shows than Drawn Together and some of the 2000+ Marvel titles, although I'd keep influential titles like Avatar and My Little Pony) and replace with titles that many people felt were missing (i.e.. Ducktales) and a few more anime titles (i.e. Cowboy Bebop)

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

I've read their other 60th Anniversary lists, and most of them are pretty lazy. They all have that "lump everything except the top 10 in no particular order" tactic.

3. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Seems like a pretty typical list. I would disagree with some of the choices, though; some of them may have iconic characters, but if you really looked at them with a critical eye, they haven't held up very well.

4. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

Spongebob has no business being in a Top 10 list for anything good in 2013 and how is Adventure Time not in the Top 10 or Regular Show not even on the list?

5. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

1. Seriously? Still?
    2. (see 1.)
    4. How come?
    5. All Scooby-Doo shows? Then what's the best one of the lot?
    6. Barely as popular as a Phineas and Ferb nowadays in the rest of the world
    8. (throws out all swears imaginable)
    9. Should be 4.
    10. Should be 9.
    Also, I want to see... where did they actually place Adventure Time. 30th place, maybe?

6. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

The only reason Spongebob's in the top 10 is what Classic Speedy. The character's iconic and popular so it'll be at the top. If it was based on quality, then Spongebob would be LOW. As for Regular Show, remember that there are A LOT of classic cartoons out there people still remember.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator

There's some deserving choices here (always love to see Spectacular Spider-Man represented) and some not-so-deserving (Iron Man: Armored Adventures? Really?), but this shows that the magazine isn't suited for a list like this.

I still prefer this list, myself. ;)

8. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Where is my Ed, Edd n Eddy? It's not on the bloody list!

9. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

Regular Show still deserved a place on the list. They could've easily made a place for it instead of namedropping every popular animated series in history and expect it to pass as a somewhat credible list.

This too.

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

You know that this list is a popularity contest when Iron Man: Armored Adventures makes the list. That show is only on there because Iron Man is hot right now.

And how does this list have Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy, but not Rocko's Modern Life? Drawn Together makes the list, but Rocko doesn't? What were these guys thinking??

If a cartoon as recent as Gravity Falls is going to make the list, then Regular Show should be on there as well. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  11. TheBombFunn

TheBombFunn New Member

Where the heck is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends?!?!?

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Why are Drawn Together and Iron Man: Armored Adventures on this list at all? Yeah, they had fans, but were either of these shows really that significant, enduring or groundbreaking? Other shows like Bob's Burgers and Gravity Falls are just too new, especially to be placed on the same list as iconic shows like The Flintstones, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Looney Tunes.

Ideally, TV Guide should place these shows on separate categories, like by era, rather than lumping them all together solely on the criteria of "this is popular", "this is hot right now" and "we, the editors, like this one".

It's like Homer Simpson said in "Bart VS Thanksgiving", "If you just put every flash-in-the pan cartoon in there, you turn the whole (thing) into a farce." Yeah, the list Darklordaviator linked to is better.

13. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

What no Gary Coleman show, that is it, this list is tainted.

Now seriously, I don't know if I put Looney Toons on the list, as this list is only basing it on the 60's made of tv shorts, and not the classic 40's and 50's shorts, no offence but the quality is subpar compared to its glory years.

I am glad Avatar: The Last Airbender and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic made it, I am surprised but in the good way Jem and the Holograms made it, it is nice for it to finally get some recognition.

I am disappointed non of the classic Disney cartoons like Ducktales, Gummi Bears made the list, and this list had a anti anime bias, I don't expect the great animes like Fullmetal Alchemist to make it, but mainstream shows like Pokemon, Speed Racer, and Sailor Moon of the list?

No list is perfect, there is always going to be complants.

14. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

It's a rather thrown together list. After the first 10 it seems like they had trouble thinking of 50 more. I gave it a second look to see if they were all cartoons and they didn't have "Everybody Loves Raymond" snuck in there.

15. Corwin Haught

Corwin Haught Member

Everything past the top 10 is unranked.

16. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Arthur, Tiny Toon Adventures, and T.U.F.F. Puppy didn't make the Top 60!

17. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

I agree about Aurthur. It's been around since about when Pokemon started and people know Arthur by the books as well.

18. Mark_Kochan

Mark_Kochan New Member

Well good to see Daria, Avatar and so forth on it.

I'd have to say that Family Guy wouldn't have been on my list, not because it isn't something I have watched, I have watched it, but because I wouldn't consider it groundbreaking or... timeless? enough.

Iron Man didn't seem that great to me, but then again superhero cartoons are their own genre altogether, like with anime or 'adult cartoons' like Family Guy.

It is good to see Phineas and Ferb on the list. But overall I think it is a so-so list. Then again how can anyone list the 'best cartoons of all time'? How do you measure their worth? Popularity? Endurance over time? Likeable/famous characters? This list seems fairly pointless.

19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I'm seeing shows that shouldn't even be in the top 100, I mean Iron Man: armored adventures really?
    This list looks very poorly done and whoever made this just put in a bunch old cartoons and grabbed a few new ones so no one's the wiser.

Of course TUFF Puppy didn't make the list, it had potential but could never reach it.
    Tiny Toons while a great cartoon was pretty much a next generation of Looney Tunes characters which sadly leaves it in it's shadow.

20. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    This list fails. Royally and stupendously!

None of those shows on the top are even that memorable anymore, IMHO - also, any list having Spongebob in a top position below classy fare like Regular Show and Adventure Time, as well as MLP : FIM deserves to topple on its butt. Royally. Also (IMHO), any list NOT having LPS (2012) and Pound Puppies (2010) at least as honorable mentions DEFINITELY ain't worth the time of day for me - they at least deserve that much for being decent alternatives to FiM for me!

And though I'm not a huge fan of anime in general today, there are plenty of timeless classics that could be on top, as well - by that, I mean Top 20 to even Top 10 fare.

And, as someone who did thoroughly enjoy Iron Man: Armored Adventures for being something a it different from the usual stuff for him, I know it ain't that good or worthy of such nonsensical praise. Nor is anything that's still running on Fox!

The End.