Tv bumpers and eyecathes that scare you as a kid

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by dumbfoolkid5, May 3, 2015.

1. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Like the title says are there any eyecatches or bumpers that kinda scared you as a kid?

For me the early CBS Saturday morning commercial break eyecatches kinda gave me some chills and still do to this day.
    And so did some of the early Nickelodeon bumpers from the 80's. Some were interesting and some were scary. So what scared you as a kid?

2. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

One Nick bumper that scared me as a kid were those stop-motion ones that had stage curtains reveal a machine that spat some stuff out depending on the seasons, then went backstage to reveal the Nick logo merged from the objects.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

4. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

My examples:
    -A CN HQ bumper used during breaks which had the Time Squad dancing as Egyptians to the tune of "Walk Like an Egyptian. What scared me most was that the letters on the CN logo became a strange mix of hieroglyphics and Wingdings.
    -The Curious Pictures logos (Sheep in the Big City and Codename: Kids Next Door) began to scare me after it became the protagonist of two dreams I had back in 2003: one where the logo had three chickens (a red one, a yellow one and a green one) static on the screen for a long time and one where the logo played normally. I have overcome it.
    -The Stretch Films "Banana Man" rarity. Not sure why, but it was probably the fact that the logo was different than the usual one. I'm OK with the main logo that played at the end of my Courage cartoons.

5. quiteliterally

The Screen Gems "S from Hell" has personally never scared me, but I'm a card-carrying member of that cult following that reveres it for how deeply and inexplicably it terrified others.

Paramount's "Closet Killer", though...yikes, what where they even thinking?

#5 quiteliterally, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  6. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

When I was 2-4 years old back in the 90's I had a fear of BBC Two's branding, it used to give me nightmares, it's probably the music. In an ironic sort of way, it's probably the reason why I'm interested in TV presentation in the first place.

[video=youtube;ysRLtTsHeOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRLtTsHeOk[/video]

Also the BBC Video ident from the 90's used to give me the creeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEh_nTievYI

In terms of animation, the Cartoon Network Europe/TNT Handover from the early 90's with the jester used to freak me out, but it was a brilliant and clever way to do a closedown/handover. Skip to 0:26.

[video=youtube;CEYy5MsKTrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYy5MsKTrs[/video]

#6 RegularCapital, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

While I wasn't scared of this, I did find it creepy. That ominous voice and that chime in the middle.

People find the Klasky-Csupo robot logo, and I don't understand. I was never scared by it, I never found it creepy, and I honestly can't see how it would scare anyone.

#7 ToonJay723, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  8. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

The Klasky-Csupo logo always used to give me nightmares when I was a little kid...like as in, I frequently had them even up to when I turned 12. Nowadays though, it's one of my favorite logos despite the scare factor.

The aforementioned Snee-Oosh logo and Seasonal Nick bumpers also used to scare me, too.

9. zwkl

zwkl #ZHG

Hearing a lot about this logo, what about it? Too much of a coward to watch it :D Anyways, no bumpers I remember scarred me, but some commercials on tv sure did!

10. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Some commercials scared me too. Like one from Hershey's chocolate bar in the 80's, a couple from Coors light, and some from Levi's jeans, as well as some of those milk commercials.

11. Dr. Zoidberg678

Dr. Zoidberg678 New Member

I'd say the Klasky Csupo robot logo from 1998 was the most nightmare inducing for me, but I was also scared of the Snee-Oosh logo that came on after every episode of Hey Arnold went off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DaffyDonaldQW93

Any MGM logo- wild animals do not belong in logos! The roaring was scary

First official Harpo Productions logo: I still mute the music and I found some caricature logos scary.

The funding credits on any PBS show: I'm surprised this isn't in any Illuminati conspiracy theory.......I didn't like government symbols taking up the entire screen and some of the voices were weird. CPB and NSF's logos were the scariest in the 90s.

Any generic product commercial, especially the dairy industry: Had eerie voice-overs at the end and they should be selling brands, not food itself. The further you go back with the time the ads came out the weirder it was. However I like Got Milk ads where they eat sweets and run out of milk, but only if I saw a version with the name of the original milk board in the titles (The California Milk Processor Board) instead of the national syndication versions ("Sponsored by America's Dairy Farmers") or no titles at all.

I rewound over and over the Klasky-Csupo robot over and over on my Ronald McDonald and Rugrats tapes so it never scared me

I only found the S from Hell a weird aspect of I dream of Jennie and I never saw the V of doom because new prints were made in the early 90s.

I could go on and on......

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I was always freaked out of the A.K.A productions eyecatch it was just creepy.

14. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The old FUNimation logo, with just the black background, logo and whispering of "FUNimation" wasn't necessarily scary, but brought up bad memories whenever I saw it after an incident one night. I fell asleep on my remote after watching my Yu Yu Hakusho DVD and woke up to the TV at full volume with the logo. Definitely made my heart race.

Similarly, the Right Stuf International logo on my Comic Party DVD became eerie late at night, particularly with the soundtrack and lack of movement.

15. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

What scared me back then?
    The PBS "And On" logo, the Miracle Productions logo from a bootleg Fantasia tape (saw it on YouTube), the Paramount Feature Presentation bumper, the pirate from SpongeBob (which is common in many kids, mostly younger ones-I've heard of a kid who found that scarier than the Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka!), and any old PSA that wasn't animated.

#15 mimitchi33, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  16. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

Oh god the pirate scared me too but not as much as THE DROP OF HOT SAUCE FROM KARATE CHOPPERS OH GOD THE DROP OF HOT SAUCE

17. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i must be the only one who wasn't scared by the pirate! BTW which pirate are you referring to the painting or the one in the live-action segments? i don't think i was ever scared by a cartoon but i think i played some games that scared me!

18. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

This one got a bit unnerving late at night on my Comic Party DVD.

19. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

The old Boomerang bumpers were creepy.

20. Commander Beeper

Commander Beeper Watchdog

A crap-ton of those old 90s Nickelodeon bumpers scared the living hell out of poor little five-year-old me, which was why I watched Cartoon Network more than I did Nick as a tyke (we didn't get Disney at the time unless I was at my dad's house, and my mom didn't allow us to watch any of the teen sitcoms that aired at the time, with the lone exception of All That). It wasn't until around late 2010-early 2011 that I got over my fear of those bumpers.