1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Turtles Forever - TMNT 25th Anniversary Special" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by D Dubbs, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

The difference is the original TMNT cartoon is your typical 80's show which had slapstick humor and bizarre sci-fi plots self-contained in each episode.

Shredder and Krang would come up with a new scheme to take over the world every week and the Turtles would always stop them by the end of the episode. There were also a lot of other recurring villains to keep this from getting stale, as well as one-shot villains, and most of the plots are pulled out of 1950 sci-fi movies.

The reason the original cartoon became so popular is because for an 80's show, the main cast and villains were incredibly well-defined with likeable personalities. The show had a, "This plot is so stupid its actually funny," kind of mentality to it. The show made fun of itself and never took itself too seriously, they break the 4th wall in many episodes.

To date, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady are three of the most popular and well-liked TMNT villains of all-time, and they all originated in the old show.

Granted I may be bias because I grew up with it and thus have nostalgia for it, but just don't go into the old toon expecting TMNT 2k3 or what cartoons are like today.

2. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

Sadly no, it's done by 4kids actors.

But for the most part the 4kids actors seem to be doing a fine job immatating the 80's turtles voices. The only one who feels really wrong is Leo. The rest (that i have heard) are very well done.

3. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Ya know what I was thinking. And I know that this is way out in left field. But could this movie possibly imply that the original TMNT cartoon and the 2003 TMNT cartoon exist in the same continuity. What I mean is that the original TMNT existed in one dimension, and the 2003 TMNT existed in another dimension in a similar matter to the Justice League cartoon. In the Justice League cartoon the Justice League existed in one dimension, while the Justice Lords co-existed in another dimension. Just something interesting to think about.

4. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Active Member

I showed the trailer to someone online and they thought they got the original actors only by hearing it. Of course, she didn't know it was 4kids though, but that should give an idea, if someone who didn't even know about the special can "tell" it is orignal VA, then I am sure they did a great job.

5. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Personally, I can't believe people would never watch the 2003 version of TMNT but whatever, if this special is what it takes to make them watch the 2003 turtles I'm all for it.

This special is going to be amazing. I can't wait to watch it.

6. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

NOOOO! My local affiliate is showing a repeat of a high school football playoff game in its place. This is crap...

7. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

Does anyone else think the promo is showing a bit to much?

I wonder if James Rolfe and TGWTG will be watching this.

8. jasonhill

jasonhill Member

I dont mind TMNT 2003 series all that much to watch, but honestly the 1987 version is my favorite. It maybe cheesy compared to the newer series (which is what made it so dang great), but it will always have a special place in my heart and i hope they finish releasing the old series on dvd and complete it cause i never got to see the later seasons.

Long live the turtles! TURTLE POWER!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.