1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Turtles Forever - TMNT 25th Anniversary Special" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by D Dubbs, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Although we've discussed this a good amount in the general 4Kids thread, I know there are several TMNT fans here (especially fans of the '87 version) who don't check up on it regularly. So, here we have this thread.

This past Saturday, 4Kids revealed the first scenes from the special, which can be viewed here on YouTube. We don't know a whole lot so far, but here's what we do know:

• The special will take place in the 2K3 universe and the turtles will meet up with their '87 counterparts
    • Bebop, Rocksteady and the Technodrome will appear
    • The special will premiere at San Diego Comic Con, and will premiere on TV this fall after 4Kids' TMNT Top 10 Countdown (no DVD date has been determined yet)
    • Running time is to be determined - though there will likely be an edit for broadcast the DVD will no doubt contain material not seen on-air. Whether or not the un-edited version will be on 4kids.tv is still to be determined.
    Also, there will be blog entries on 4Kids.tv leading up to the premier, the first of which has this picture:

[​IMG]

There is also a hidden audio file on the blog, which you can download here: http://www.4kids.tv//images/uploads/error_MSG_capture_001.mp3

2. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

:ack:
    (I'm speechless)
    :D

3. J!!!

J!!! You're such a little kid~

So there mixing 2k3 and '87 for the anniversery?

That's is going to be the coolest special ever!

Double points if they can get the original actors back.

4. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Very interesting concept though I expected something along these lines ever since they started dropping hints. I'm looking forward to it but it's funny I'm more excited to see Bebop and Rocksteady than the OG TMNT.

The turtles look very much like the blue sky CBS episode versions and I'm hoping for the original VAs but certain signs point to that not happening. Which is a darn shame but it'd be interesting to hear the current TMNT VAs try to act like the old skool team.

5. Spanish Megatron

Spanish Megatron Sííííííí

This sounds really, really good. I wonder if they will get the original voice actors for the '87 Turtles? That would be icing on the cake for me.

6. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Same here! Can't wait to see Bebop and Rocksteady again and hope that Cam Clarke and Barry Gordon will reprise their roles.

lol wonder how Bebop and Rocksteady have to face with the TMNT 2K3 or even the Shredder if he appears also.

7. Kevin the Geek

Kevin the Geek Golem fan

This 25th anniversary movie looks like it's going to be epic!

Since Mirage and 4kids don't have the rights to the 80's series, I wonder if they got Fred Wolf Films', I believe the studio who has the rights to the 80's series, permission to make this movie. If so, I wonder if they have any involvement in making this movie. I also wonder if they'll get the original voice actors from the 80's series to reprise their roles for the movie.

Since Krang and Shredder have a hard time dealing with 4 ninja turtles, they'll definitely have their hands full dealing with 8 ninja turtles! I wonder if a villain from the 2003 series' universe (one of the various Shredders, Bishop, Baxter Stockman, etc.) will team up with Krang and Shredder to help even the odds.

8. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

I've heard rumors of the special being somehow connected to the old series, but I never actually expected a full on crossover between both universes.

It'll be interesting to see how the 80's characters interact with the more down to earth cast from the 2k3 series. I'm sure we'll have some funny Mikey moments thrown in there.

9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Bad news: They're not hiring the old voices to reprise the Turtles.

They're simply using the 2k3 voices to play the old toon Turtles.

Shredder also speaks with his 2k3 voice, which sounds totally WRONG for old Shredder's character.

Apparently 4kids couldn't be bothered to contact the old voices to reprise their roles, so now it seems like the Turtles all have the 2k3 voices. :(

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm just curious as to where you heard this information. While I'm not doubting your word, it would also be nice to see a link to an official source, such as 4Kids' YouTube Channel or from someone who has been proven to be close to the work that goes on in the series, to confirm this information. I just checked 4Kids' Channel earlier today and I didn't see anything about the TMNT 25th Anniversary Special, other than a video for the promo that aired on Saturday

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Click the audio link D Dubbs posted in the top post.

We hear Mike say, "Cowabunga," but this is 2k3 Mike's voice speaking as old toon Michaelangelo.

We also hear Shredder say, "I am Oroku Saki, the one and true Shredder!" but the problem is that is Scottie Ray's voice...the VA for 2k3 Shredder! Old toon Shredder sounds NOTHING like that!

It's like they're not even trying to imitate some of the old voices.

I am really worried.

12. Sketch

Well I know Bebop in that clip wasn't Barry Gordon but we don't know for sure if they didn't get any of the old VAs back yet unless you have a link to that information I'm unaware. The clip doesn't prove or disprove anything yet. Furthermore, old toon Shredder almost never refered to himself as Oroku Saki where as there was an Oroku Saki Shredder in the 2003 series who did so often (even though he was an Ultrom) and he wasn't the only Oroku Saki (as we came to learn later).

I don't expect they will get the original actors back they'd probably consider it unneccessary. Which is a load but this is still awesome and I look forward to hearing the OG Toon Turtles done by new VAs if they don't get back any of the old voices. Kinda wonder how John Cambel's take on OG Raphael might sound.

But considering James Avery auditioned to be Shredder in the 4kids toon and Sam Regal lives in LA now it shouldn't be much of a task to get the old VAs back. Even Paulsen is obtainable and they could get the lines from the LA VAs just like they do with Sam Regal for Donatello. So the only reason it wouldn't happen is if they don't consider it important and they probably don't and I can't really fault them for thinking that I mean it's such a stretch for them to even include OG TMNT and Peter Laird probably would have prefered not to include the Technodrome gang. And yet they're all there. Pretty sweet.

They have little to gain from new viewers with this special it's entirely for the fans. So enjoy what you get even if it isn't as good as it might have been should they have done all they could have to make it awesome.

13. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

2k3 Shredder is not in this movie. The shredder voice you heard was Scottie Ray playing old toon Shredder....but he used his same voice and didn't even try to imitate James Avery's Shredder!

Also how often has 2k3 Mike said, "Cowabunga?" Only for like three episodes....that sounded like 2k3 Mike doing a bad impression of old toon Mike's voice.

4kids was too cheap to go the extra mile to get the old Turtles to reprise their roles. I almost fear to hear how Krang might sound.

How can we accept this as an "old toon tribute" without the original voices? Leave it to 4kids to take the easy way out and use the 2k3 cast to play the old Turtles. It's like taking my childhood and ripping it in half.

14. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Considering the animation is of a higher quality than the average episode, I assume this has a bigger budget.

I would rather have the old cast back for the sake making this whole thing full circle. That and I can't see Frank Frankson doing '87 Raph.

Let me just list the odds of them not coming back.

Cam Clarke: Since he has provided voice work in the Naruto & Bleach dubs, I assume he's in LA. And as previously stated, the current voice of Don is in LA. So I guess it'll be likely

Barry Gordon: He currently has a political talkshow in the southern California area. But I'm not sure if he does voice acting anymore. According to IMDB, the last thing he worked on was in 2005. I'd say it looks doubtful.

Rob Paulsen: The one VA I can see not coming back. Then again, they did get him for that Biker Mice From Mars remake from a couple years back. Still, I still say unlikely.

Townsend Coleman: Here's an interesting one, he's pops in and out once every few years. Just when you thought he's gone, he pops up in something new. For the wild card.

James Avery: I dunno, he did do the voice in an interview a couple years back. Didn't sound the same, maybe he was just out of practice.

I can't really say if what I just said is accurate. I'm just doing some speculating on my part.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No offense, but I think you are getting a bit too worked up over this. We don't know that much at all about the movie. I listened to the clip again from 4Kids' account and I couldn't tell who was talking when the artwork from the previous series showed up. Though, that might have been due to my computer since it sometimes is slow when I'm watching clips like that.

Anyway, I barely remember watching the first series, so I can't say if anyone sounded like they were trying to imitate the first series' cast members. However, I don't really think that it's fair to base that information on one video clip, especially when they didn't even show the movie clips until near the end of the promo. If we either had an early sneek peak at the movie, like at least a good three or five minutes of one scene, or at an actually press release statement confirming the cast, that would be a better way to determine if 4Kids is getting both series' cast for this movie.

Since we have neither one of those, and I honestly believe that a press statement confirming the cast would be the best one out of the two, we don't have any way to prove who is and isn't in the cast. No offense, but complaining about 4Kids like this and claming what they're doing without any real proof just doesn't really help your argument. In fact, I think that it just makes your argument weaker in comparsion to an argument with more soild proof.

16. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

This great news, too bad the local CW lost the license to be CW affiliate. I really hope this gets on DVD soon. The Bebop voice sounded okay not the original but a good substitute but they really should have(and I really hope they did) get the original voice actors back to voice the "classic" versions of the Turtles. Looking forward to this can't wait for September.

17. Sketch

When was it said 2K3 Shredder wasn't in this movie?

And if they don't get back the old VAs my only gripe is they aren't even trying to make them sound different which IMO is QUITE doable with the talent they have in New York.

For instance Mike Pollock or the voice of Leatherhead would have been good for old toon Shredder. But truth be told we don't even know what this Shredder looks like. Clearly he's not acting like the bumbling Shredder of the majority of the series but Shredder was also quite menacing in the pilot season.

I think Jason Griffith might work for Donatello. I know I shudder at the thought of giving that guy work but really he's got the right tone for it.

Leo and Mike are a bit tricky but there is probably someone who could voice something closer Clark and Coleman's variations.

Dan Green as Splinter perhaps? I could see that working rather well.

Getting someone in the ballpark of Paulsen's Raphael would be a challenge... Not really sure who could do it but I'm sure someone in New York could do a good wise cracking Raphael.

18. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

That's what I'm wondering too. The fact that he says "I am the one true Shredder!" kind of implies that there'll be more than one Shredder in the movie.

19. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Utrom Shredder is on the ice asteroid and Demon and Cyber Shredder are both dead. Unless this isn't meant to fit into continuity, I don't think they'd finally bring Utrom Shredder back in an OLD TOON TRIBUTE movie. 2k3 Shredder has no place in this movie, the screens make it seem like its in the original toon universe, not the 2k3 one.

That was Scottie Ray speaking as original cartoon Shredder, and not even bothering to imitate the old voice. Shredder was more comical and not as evil in the old show, he should NOT sound like 2k3 Shredder!

And this is my problem. If the old toon Turtles/Shredder/Krang etc. have different voices, it simply won't feel as the old characters. But what is worse is the 2k3 voices are using the SAME VOICES for the other Turtles...despite the fact their personalities are different in the old show.

Can you imagine old toon Raph sounding like 2k3 Raph? It'll completely change his character! Is this the "tribute" you're going to be satisfied with?

I'd have rathered this DTV not be made at all then, and just be a new story set in the 2k3 universe. If 4kids can't even hire the right VA's for a DTV movie, then its like they put the bare minimum effort into it.

Bebop had the same VA as Donatello in the old show (Barry Gordon did both), and the Bebop in that clip is different. Therefore Barry Gordon is probably not playing Don either. Why did they not get the old voices?

20. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Seriously, Cybercubed, when was the last time you've said anything positive on these forums? I agree that it sucks that 4Kids isn't getting the old voices back, but geez, be HAPPY about something for a change, will you?

I'm sure almost any of the 4Kids voice actors can pull off the generic oriental voice old toon Splinter had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.