Turner to launch Toonami Channel.... in Asia. (Crossing over with U.S. Toonami?)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by ChibiGoku, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...dcasting-system-asia-launches-toonami-channel

I'm... not even sure what to make of this, really...

EDIT: Eh, may as well include the post here, for those who don't want to click the link:

2. wjbraden

wjbraden New Member

Two words. Holy Crap!

Awesome news. Apparently Turner hasn't forgotten the Toonami branding overseas as well. Hopefully it will be better than the UK version turned out to be!

3. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I really hope Turner launches a Toonami Channel. It deserves one.

4. wjbraden

wjbraden New Member

I'm guessing this is for Australia too? Hopefully this means that madman has a part in this and that the English dub of One Piece can at least air on TV there, since it can't air here in the US.

5. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

Holy crap. Looks like I need a Slingbox now.

6. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

The only way I think the US would ever get a Toonami channel of our own would be if they rebranded Boomerang as Toonami to compete with Nicktoons and Disney XD. However, I get the impression that Turner would rather not do anything with Boomerang. This Asian channel could be a test, but then again we never got our own Toonami channel after the UK had their own for a few years.

7. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

Yeah, I can't see them doing anything with Boomerang but keeping it the home of older Cartoon Network & Hanna-Barbera shows. They do run older episodes of Pokemon (including the more recent Battle Frontier series), but I think that's the only anime that runs there.

8. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Things to point out: no mention of whether this will be Toonami with TOM or a channel simply called Toonami, nor does there appear to be any mention of whether this will be a part of a commonly boght channel package.

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

A Toonami Channel for Asia and possibly Australia. Very cool. Hopefully it works out better than Toonami UK did.

As for us getting more Toonami goodness? Not dang likely until someone else runs Turner's youth and young adults entertainment division. The current heads have no love for action animation.

10. bla2772

bla2772 New Member

if it is like regular toonami with tom and sara and stuff that would be amazing and if they had like the rising sun and midnight run...but i doubt it will be anything like that i think its gpna be just like nicktoons no tom and chilish shows and bumps:/

11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I don't think so. I believe those only occurred in the U.S. Also, it's going to be 24 hours, so they won't really need such blocks. (Unless it's maybe Adult Swim, where they can show more mature programming.)

It's going to have Batman, Young Justice, and DBZ, among others.

12. wjbraden

wjbraden New Member

There's now a website for the channel, which will launch 12/1/2012. http://www.toonamiasia.com/

From the looks of it, the channel will have Generator Rex Star Wars Clone Wars, DBZ, DBZ Kai, Avenger Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Green Lateran TAS, Young Justice, Batman Brave & The Bold, Inazuma 11, Ironman Armored Adventures, Thundercats 2011, Transformers Prime and more.

Sounds pretty good to me!

13. Sketch

Inazuma Eleven too.

It's a darn shame that the owners of the rights to all those shows in America would prevent any one channel from being that awesome here. Though I suppose given time and money The Hub could pull it off some day. Vortexx could also but with heavy censorship.

It's off to a great start but hopefully it doesn't degrade like Toonami UK did.

14. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Man, I think they basically hit every major action cartoon from the past 5 years that would perfectly fit Toonami.

I think I spotted Kamen Rider Dragon Knight in there as well.

15. Sketch

They should get One Piece but if they want to keep things PG I suppose that might be a problem.

16. wjbraden

wjbraden New Member

Also they have the youtube accounts of CN Asia, Japan, Australia and NZ, and India linked on their page, so I'm guessing that means the channel will be available in all of those locations (probably the Philippines too).

I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto Shippuden ended up there too because it was on CN Australia until a few months ago when it was pulled. Hopefully they get One Piece there too, because that would really top things off as a perfect lineup in my opinion.

17. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

Man, this is huge news! Maybe if we send enough messages to Toonami or adult swim they might consider bring the channel to the US. It's not like they haven't listened to there fans before right?

18. Sketch

Even if they did bring the channel over we wouldn't get the same shows. Many of the non-CN shows are on The Hub, DXD, Nicktoons and Vortexx in America and CN wouldn't be able to get them. They could instead use their current action library including the anime on Toonami for late nights. But sadly there's really no market for an all action cartoon channel in America right now.

19. wjbraden

wjbraden New Member

So the I found the first schedule for Toonami Asia that starts 12/1 and I found a few things that were interesting.

1) Apparently Toonami Asia is going to replace Boomerang Asia (http://static.lowyat.net/uploads/attach-9/post-381809-1353940244_thumb.jpg). Not much of a loss though since most of it was preschool programming.

2) It appears that the schedule below is just going to be a special schedule, just for the channel's launch

3) A few of the slots shown on the TV Guide I found this info on were left blank for some reason.

So here it is:

12/1

5:00 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    5:30 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    6:00 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    6:30 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    7:00 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    7:30 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    8:00 AM Blue Dragon
    8:30 AM Blue Dragon
    9:00 AM Blue Dragon
    9:30 AM ???
    10:00 AM ???
    10:30 AM ???
    11:00 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    11:30 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    12:00 PM Ben 10: Alien Force
    12:30 PM Justice League Unlimited
    1:00 PM Justice League Unlimited
    1:30 PM Justice League Unlimited
    2:00 PM Iron Man: Armored Adventures
    2:20 PM Iron Man: Armored Adventures
    2:45 PM Wolverine And The X-Men
    3:10 PM Wolverine And The X-Men
    3:30 PM Ben 10: Alien Force
    4:00 PM Ben 10: Alien Force
    4:30 PM Ben 10: Alien Force
    5:00 PM Blue Dragon
    5:30 PM Blue Dragon
    6:00 PM Blue Dragon
    6:30 PM ???
    7:00 PM ???
    7:30 PM ???
    8:00 PM Deltora Quest
    8:30 PM Deltora Quest
    9:00 PM Deltora Quest
    9:30 PM ???
    10:00 PM ???
    10:30 PM ???
    11:00 PM Generator Rex
    11:30 PM Generator Rex
    12:00 AM Generator Rex
    12:30 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    1:00 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    1:30 AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    2:00 AM Justice League Unlimited
    2:30 AM Justice League Unlimited
    3:00 AM Justice League Unlimited
    3:30 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    4:00 AM Ben 10: Alien Force
    4:30 AM Ben 10: Alien Force

20. BlooMac

BlooMac a.k.a. BlooMac

From the press release:
    Sadly, TOM won't appear on the channel. But come to think of it, that might not be bad actually. Because if they did have TOM, they would probably hire someone else to voice him and have him with a different personality. And I think most of us don't want to have a TOM like the UK did. So it's good they'll have their own mascot.

The special schedule for Dec. 1 is okay, but could have been better. I hope they add more shows to the schedule. They could add Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, the original Ben 10, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Ben 10: Omniverse and Sym-Bionic Titan. Especially the latter 2, considering Titan hasn't aired in Asia yet and Omniverse is a new show and they could air the new episodes on Toonami first. That could boost the ratings a bit.