TTA Spring Break Special on The Hub(re-airing) FRIDAY, April 25th, 2014

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Narfpinky, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~ Moderator

2. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Man I STILL say it was totally BOGUS The way Buster and Babs played Plucky at the end of that Film He didn't even anything wrong

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Get your DVD-R's ready, despite Warner Bros. not releasing it (nor TTA Night Ghoulery and Animaniacs Wakko's Wish) to DVD for now.

4. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake! Moderator

One great gag aside (the Toonsters going to their hotel room), this special nearly chokes to death on all the dated references. It's no 'How I Spent My Vacation'.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Yeah, I don't love this special the way other TTA fans, do, with no disrespect to those who enjoyed it. To me it just seemed like an obvious attempt to rehash How I Spent My Vacation without executing any of the clever writing and pacing that made HISMV so great. Lightning rarely strikes twice.

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Well, I am also still hoping The Hub gets the rights to Pinky and the Brain soon...

7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

^It's not like all this stuff isn't available on DVD...

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Not to stray from the topic, but DarthGonzo is right. Buying the DVDs of Pinky and the Brain is a more practical idea than waiting for The Hub to acquire the series, especially when there's no guarantee that The Hub will air P&tB at all.

9. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And still no hope for Road Rovers and/or Histeria to get rerun on The Hub rather than waiting to get a DVD release green light? Same for Taz Mania and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries?

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for The Hub to acquire any of those shows; Road Rovers seems especially iffy, since only 13 episodes were made and most people have forgotten that show existed. Histeria! at least has some E/I value and made enough episodes for a weekday run. Just because Hub acquired Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs doesn't make them obligated to pick up every single Silver Age WB show that was ever made. You're better off buying the DVDs of the shows that are currently available on video, and writing a friendly letter to WBA requesting releases of the ones which aren't.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

No one at The Hub ever said that the channel would be acquiring any of those shows. You're merely assuming this because The Hub has acquired Animaniacs and later Tiny Toon Adventures. You shouldn't assume anything unless Hasbro releases an official statement announcing their intention to do so. You can't be upset at The Hub for not doing something that the network never said that it was going to do in the 1st place.

12. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume. Moderator Reporter

So...... did anybody watch this? I didn't (I had left my parents' house by the time it aired), but the thread would be better for discussing the episode, not debating whether The Hub will pick up other shows.

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Nah, I missed it too; I was blogging yesterday afternoon, then I had to go grocery shopping. (But then, I wasn't planning to watch it since I'm not crazy about that special. I didn't really like it when it first came out, and I doubt it's aged very well after 20 years.) For those who did see it, were there any edits, or was everything left intact?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  14. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I don't know anything about how it originally aired, as this was actually my first time seeing it. But yeah, I caught it. It didn't look as if it missed anything, save for the credit crunch.

15. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

With The Tiny Toons Spring Break Special, you can definitely tell that the writers and producers wanted very much for this special to be How I Spent My Vacation Too, but unfortunately this time around much of the humor and outrageousness just seemed forced, and here the writers just seemed to give Plucky Duck the pin cushion treatment for no other reason than they could. The subplot with Elmyra chasing Buster across the countryside believing him to be the Easter Bunny should have been a light gag that only lasted for a few minutes, not for the majority of the story's length. The parody of the Free Willy music video with Babs doing an over-the-top Michael Jackson impression was the highlight of the special. The whole thing just smacked of effort.

17. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume. Moderator Reporter

It was kind of hard to be How I Spent My Vacation Too when they didn't even get TTA's best animation studio back to work on it.

18. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

I DVR'd it that day, but they messed up the scheduling, so I only got the first half :shrug: Luckily, it looks like they're gonna do it right this time Friday.

19. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~ Moderator

[updates thread title]...and on that friday TTA SBS will air at 2PM Eastern / 11 AM Pacific.

20. DaffyDonaldQW93

DaffyDonaldQW93 Member

Since it's not on DVD, they used a great quality Fox broadcast master and ehanched it for widescreen. The color on the HD feed blows away any previous version I've seen!

And my mom thought some of it was funny.

The first time I saw this special (not on the Hub) I felt sorry for Plucky. Now I think it's creative genius. Also combined with the Animaniacs-era Wang aniamtion, the Richard Stone score makes it more like Animaniacs than TTA.

Still the animation of them moving their heads back and forth in the intro is kinda cheap, TMS wouldn't dare do that. But the HD quality made up for that.

Speaking of HD and widescreen, did it come from the film elements or do they have better technology than when A! had it's episodes first transferred from DVD masters........