1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transformers Rescue Bots Series TALKBACK

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by bobbybop, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

[​IMG]
    What do you guys think of this show?
    I think it's rather good

2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I adore the heck out of this series. Ed's review largely has a point; their usual tropes and predictability almost makes the entire thing artificial and I can't deny that. But in just the six episodes that's aired, Rescue Bots managed to do more with their characters that Prime struggled all season. They focused on each of the individual bots and partners and they did it good. There's conflicts between human partners and robots; issues within the robots themselves, Cody often playing referee, and all the quirks of the townspeople. In short, I care about the cast. I doubt Rescue Bots is going to elevate itself into anything special, but it's a charming series all around and I look forward to new episodes. Especially if the latest one is to go by as it seems to hint of potential a story arc, though I'm a little reluctant to accept if an "epic" tale works for a show like this or should even be in here, but I disgress.

I know it's still way too early to make a judgment call, but I honestly (and currently) enjoy/prefer this over Prime. This show managed to capture personality that Prime's cheesy dialogues and strained storytelling has yet to overcome (but Season Two is getting better). It's also kind of like watching an even lighter and softer Transformers Animated and that's not a bad thing either. And lastly, I just like the Feel-Good nature of the show.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the show is okay. Its just kinda is. I watch it because its on, but while watching it, I don't really feel anything. If it got canceled, I probably wouldn't care. If it got renewed, I probably also wouldn't care, but would still watch it.:sweat:

4. Luminak

Luminak New Member

At first, like everyone else, I thought RB was going to be a 'rescue heroes' babyformers series, but I like to give new shows a chance; man it didn't disappoint! Even down to the color schemes of the characters (which yes can be typical complimentary colors) just stand out so much more than Prime which seems to subdue their color scheme considerably.

Yeah, I get that Prime is supposed to be more "serious" but everything (especially the backgrounds or lack there of) just blend in. Rescue Bots, on the other hand, really stands out not just with the colors but with the people. The show actually has fun with its characters, and believe it or not, RB does have potential to be a more sophisticated TF series.

I mean, as far as I'm aware, how many english translated TF show has a mostly adult cast?Not many (if at all!). Rescue bots actually has three-four main human adult characters and they are treated with respect. I can't think of anyone on the show who is entirely useless, again, and I don't mean to pick a fight, but unlike Prime which I believe focuses on the wrong characters most of the time; and if they do focus on good characters it tends to turn out only OK, nothing really new in that show. But a good TF show doesn't have to be new or innovated to impress, such a thing can thrive on charm or humor. Rescue bots is good old fashioned TF fun, even without the decepticons.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

While the show has been good so far, in the previous pre-release thread for this show, I was concerned that this show might start doing generic morality episodes typical of a preschool series, and this week's episode did just that. It was the first off-topic episode, and as a result was the first unwatchable episode as well (compared to previous episodes of this series). That said, I watched this episode to the end in the hope that the ending wouldn't try to shove the moral in the viewers' faces (which, fortunately it didn't; more later). In it, Cody has to look after a "Robo-Baby" invented by Doctor Greene in order to prove that he's "responsible", a word they keep repeating throughout the episode. Really, a robo-baby? The writers obviously only did that in order to provide a medium for illustrating said responsibility moral. IMHO, they might as well have used a babysitting plot (not necessarily involving Doctor Greene) with an actual human baby. Anyway, there's a point in the episode where the Rescue Bots go into action, but that was clearly not the point anymore (at least in this episode). It's one saving grace was that it didn't end with Cody getting in trouble, Doctor Greene never trusting him with his inventions again, and/or his father grounding him for a week, but that doesn't change the fact that this show nearly subverted itself with this episode, nor does it change the fact that I more or less called it this time.

While the episode doesn't ruin the entire series (yet), it does make it a liability, IMHO. I just hope this doesn't start becoming a regular thing on this show. We came to see transforming robots and humans doing rescue missions together, not to be lectured with arbitrary moral lessons that some of us may already know about (and understand, and practice). Any preschool show can do that, and this show is actually not meant to be one. While there's nothing wrong with being educational exactly, this episode of this show comes off (or may come off to some) as having the previous episodes "pacify" the viewers, after which they spring this on them. I'm going to assume (for now) that that wasn't their intention, but even so, I was really hoping they wouldn't resort to episodes like this, and again, I hope they don't start making it a regular thing.

6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Excuse me while I coo from all the cuteness overload. "Four Robots and a Baby" is adorable. Too adorable. It didn't exactly go the way I had hoped; mostly on development. I think Heatwave needed more time to bond with the baby before he truly took a liking to it by end and we barely see how Boulder handles it (only Doc would waste three million dollars inventing something this absurd XD). The rescue mission in the middle is also plainly tacked on. I know the series is called Rescue Bots, but the broken pipelines has little baring or connection to the plot. True, it happens because of the rubber ducky and it eventually moves the story when Cody unleashes the windmills, but it's almost arbitrary. The motorcycle rescue from the intro is sufficient enough to fill their quota so the extra five minutes could have been spent time better developing the baby with Cody and the bots.

Otherwise, I was gushing all over. Chase's lullaby is the most hilarious and cutest thing ever. Did I mention this was adorable? I enjoyed this episode. I love this show.

7. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

walk on the wild side was good pretty funny.
    In the coming episodes we have a plot,
    future episode descripctions
    episode 10
    deep trouble
    A shark targeting high-tech ocean equipment is spotted off the Griffin Rock shore
    episode 11
    return of the dinobot
    An intruder hacks into Griffin Rock's central computer and wreaks havoc
    episode 12
    the other doctor
    A scientist tries to replace the team with a new invention, leaving everyone out of the action.
    episode 13
    The reign of morocco
    Cody looks for proof that the new scientist's invention is really a villainous plan.

8. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I can't be the only one watching Rescue Bots? XD

It's starting to get even better! I'm a little reluctant on the idea of a show like this possessing a story arc, but I can only talk so much on a rather formulaic show before I just repeat myself, so the addition of status quo shaking is a welcome change.

Last episode's "Deep Trouble" was nothing short of amazing; intense and anticipatory on who this mysterious stranger is. "Return of the Dinobot" seems to hint of another human who wants to do Doc in (though I'm not sure how much to complain given the dangerous stuff this man makes) and I'm sitting on the edge of my seat on what will specifically happen. There's an odd kind of seriousness to this (or as serious as this show can get) and I find it vastly interesting. I need more episodes!

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

While I am glad that the show is getting more of a plot, I can't say that I care for the new villain. He comes off as some really generic scientist.

10. Mandouga

Either way, he's definitely connected to some evil organization that we may or may not ever learn about.

In any case, this show has a different problem.

It seems to be trying to be trying too hard to be an actual Transformers series at heart, and not an in name only production (I had said before that the first episode felt like watching two different shows at the same time). For instance, last week's episode was called "Return of the Dinobot". I think they were trying to force a Transformers reference into that episode, which features a robot...that resembles a dinosaur. It doesn't transform (like the Dinobots from the original G1 series or the Starscream expy Dinobot from Beast Wars), and it's actually just a pet; "Dinobot" is just a generic name for it. Plus, they tried to do a "Transformers-like" plot with someone sabotaging the Dinobot, with an ending that tries to present the possibility of a larger story arc. To me it felt as if they were trying to reassure viewers familiar with the franchise that yes, it's a real Transformers series.

In the meantime, this appears to be the end of the first season, although it's not really official. OTOH, who knows whether or not there will be another season?...

11. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I'm not sure how many episodes Season 1 will have, but it's not the over yet. Next episode airs on June. 9th.

EDIT: Alright, managed to watch the episodes. I actually get Mandouga's issue that Rescue Bots seems to be diverting from its original premise. The whole point of the show is that it was a strict "No Antagonist" world where natural disasters and accidental dangers occured for the bots to solve. Hints of something greater were there, but how it would be utilize could honestly have broken the show. Essentially, both episodes "The Other Doctor" and "The Reign of Morocco" shows Rescue Bots is wearing Big Boy Pants. It's less of a series truly intended for preschoolers and more of a, well, traditional Transformers show.

I agree, it does lose some of is identity, but I find both episodes to be incredibly rewarding - mostly for those who stuck around since the beginning. The shout outs to past episodes and the level of organic growth the characters go through is not simply excellent in itself, but actually subtle. Three scenes in particular stick out the most. The first is when Morocco is surveying all of Doc's past inventions. At no point does he halt the plot in order to exposition what everyone does so newcomers won't be confused. The second is the scene where Dani guides Cody as he tries to land the blimp. It's one of those, "Wow! It makes so much sense in retrospect!" because past episodes frequently showed Cody riding alongside Dani (especially telling since Blades is the bot he rides the most out of the Rescue Bot crew). The build up is excellent. The third (and incidentally my favorite scene) involves Heatwave and Kade having their own heart to heart where the latter will clearly miss him if Heatwave leaves. This wouldn't have worked if neither of them hadn't developped in past episodes. Specifically, it's a good contrast to Episode 2 where both refused to talk to each other. All of this is just amazing growth in and of itself, but it's done subtly and without the need to pepper the episodes with constant TALK TALK TALK to get the point across. It has faith the audiences will understand and I love that.

Also, Dr. Morocco is working that suit. ;)

12. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

The new episode that literally just aired was good.

13. Mandouga

Neo Yi, you mentioned "organic growth" in this show. I have to be honest here, while character development isn't exactly a highlight of this show, it does exist nonetheless, and this week's episode threw Kade's character development completely out the window. Previous episodes had him reluctantly/begrudgingly excepting the fact that his fire engine is a transforming robot (and his partner). Instead, this episode blatantly, and uncreatively portrays him as suddenly resenting the whole thing. That, plus it seems to imply that he's only doing this to impress this girl he likes, all to the point where, near the beginning when they were rescuing her, it was supposed to be Dani and Blades doing it, but he got in their way, insisting that he rescue her, and all this knowing that air rescue was the best way to do it. Afterwards, he's suddenly embarrassed that his fire engine is a transforming robot, likely because he wanted to impress the girl he rescued (he knows her from school), when then leads to said resentment. Then, near the end, he does an about face, and suddenly decides he was wrong to act the way he did towards Heatwave. I'm sorry, but by the end of the episode, I was literally shouting "hypocrite!". First he reluctantly accepts Heatwave as his partner, then he suddenly resents working with a transforming robot? He seemed truly dedicated to his job, but then he's suddenly doing it just to impress a girl? That would seem to imply that Kade never truly accepted it in the first place (after all, he was always used to working using an ordinary, non-transforming, non-sentient, fire engine, which, as it happens, he's shown using in this episode), even though, again, previous episodes showed that he did. To me (anyway), this kind of blatantly inconsistent characterization clearly reflects that it's starting to happen in this show: the writing is starting to resort to creative shortcuts in order to keep things interesting/create dramatic tension. That being said, I can only hope that future episodes get better...

Going back to this episode, IMHO, with it's aforementioned inconsistent characterization for Kade, it might as well have been a "filler" episode, even though it technically isn't (and even though this show isn't designed to have them).

14. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

The episode is a bit backwards and I definitely see where you come from, but I also see this as a mixture of "Love Makes You Stupid" and Kade's general behavior. He's gotten along with Heatwave over the course of the series, but his general personality hasn't radically changed since the beginning. Kade is still a hot tempered, inconsiderate jock type with a bad ego. Him acting callous to impress the girl he likes? Totally within his character and mannerisms to do so, if not badly exaggerated to get the point across.

I do think this particular episode does cut a lot of corners and add in cheap convenience for the sake of plot and it's largely the first Rescue Bots episode that I didn't care for (though I want to rewatch to make sure). But hey, if I felt "meh" over one episode out of fourteen currently aired, then I think this show is still on a good leg.

15. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

breaking news rescue bots will have a crossover with prime for one episode!
    Bumblebee will appear in rescue bots in the episode that will air july 7th.
    here's his character model.
    [​IMG]

#15 bobbybop, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean July 7th.

17. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

yeah i edited it now.

18. Mandouga

I'm watching the "Bumblebee" episode now, and as I suspected, he's just the Rescue Bots version of the character. Yes, he's part of "OP's team", and he talks in computer sounds like the Prime version, and he's even referred to as a "legend", and he even has the traditional "Autobot" insignia, but that doesn't mean this show is in the same continuity. One scene had Optimus referring to their "medic", but still. His talking in computer sounds is simply a shout out to Prime (and by extension, The Hub, which also airs Prime). Moreover, if 'bee was the Prime version, then he would be a full-sized bot towering over the other rescue bots (as would Optimus).

As for the episode itself, I liked how Cody got to meet Optimus.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Toon Zone.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the episode, and for the record, I also like Bumblebee, but I felt that this episode spent too much time showing how much more awesome BB is compared to everyone else. Blades was mostly an idiot, the other robots were mostly out of commision, the humans were mostly useless, etc.

Bumblebee stole the show here.

20. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I think anything involving Bee's size is really more artistic license than anything else, though I think the size is fine - the Burns family seems to be about the same height as the human kids would in comparison to Bee, so this didn't bother me.

It's in very broad strokes for the sake of making both Prime and Rescue Bots their own thing, but Jeff Kline has confirmed that both shows are in the same continuity.

I'll have a lengthier review on this particular episode. I have been anticipating this one for a while and unless a rewatch will change my mind, I liked it.