1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Transformers: More than Meets the Eye (2012, #50 - Beyond)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by JoeMabbon, Feb 29, 2016.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Megatron's past catches up with him...

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #50

[​IMG]

Written by James Roberts
    Art by Alex Milne & Brendan Cahill

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT—PART 1! Since joining the Lost Light, MEGATRON has rejected everything that once made him the most feared and hated Cybertronian of all time. But penitence has a price, and before the ex-Decepticon can find true redemption he must first confront his darkest legacy—the Decepticon Justice Division.

Comments?

• Like Like x 1
    #1 JoeMabbon, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is something I have been waiting for. Megatron vs. the DJD. I'm mad excited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

Waaaay back in the Costa era, the first issue was titled "Things Fall Apart." I think that may be more apropos for this story.

Things haven't looked this bleak in a Transformers story since the second season finale of Transformers Prime. Action, suspense, betrayal, death, lite romance, redemption. Its all here like you'd expect from More than Meets the Eye, but grander as is befitting a season finale. Even more than Remain in Light before it, this is setting the series up for major sea change. Bravo, Roberts. Another 50. Then write the next set of live-action movies.

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I really enjoyed reading the fiftieth issue. The expanded page count means James Roberts had the means to stretch his wings and revisit the primary cast. The beginning grabs your attention because the Transformers we loved made last minute wills and that is so screwed up that it could only come from MTMTE.

However, for a 48-page special, I was expecting more than just a build up. Yeah, the DJD are coming for them, but I was expecting them to knock on the Lost Light's door by the halfway point and end it on a cliffhanger. (Yeah, yeah, I know the issue had two stories.)

But it is a beautiful setup and presents a big snafu for Rodimus' crew. Getaway is a jerk, but he has a big point: why should they give Megatron a second chance? After all that he's done, after all he could still possibly be capable of (Defend if all you like, Megatron, but you punched Dominus), Megatron's bucket list of death was plenty evident in Necrobot's garden that some of the crew are apprehensive and desperate enough to cry mutiny and I don't blame them.

But Getaway is a jerk and it's hard to like or agree with him after the stunt he pulled on Tailgate in the last couple of issues. Now he goes and does this to the current crew. It's the idea that he can just dump these guys just because they're in Megatron's party wagon when some of them haven't done anything to earn it. Nautica? Sweet little Tailgate? Freakin' Ten? The bot who barely has sentience and makes sculptures of the LL crew?! It says something that in spite of the rational of ugliness in both their past actions (because Megatron has a doozy over Getaway), Getaway ends up a far more despicable character (right now anyways) and oh man, it is great. This whole issue was great.

Now I need to wait another month and worry who's going to die this time. My heart will not take it if it's Cyclonus or Tailgate. Or Nautica. Or Perceptor. Or Swerve. Or Ten. Or Rewind and Chromdome and-oh my god i'm doomed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeMabbon

Roberts likes to leave his readers with the implication that the characters are already doomed.

I'm eager to see if Getaway was bluffing about "everyone" backing his little putsch. Remember, he and the others are now in rebellion against not only Rodimus, but Autobot High Command as a whole. I have a hard time seeing Perceptor or Thunderclash going there, let alone throwing Autobots to the DJD. Nudge guns can do more than erase memories...

6. JoeMabbon

The big moral dilemma! The return of the exiled! Great stuff, but all in all very much a middle chapter. Its a literal calm before the storm, as Tarn intends. I think it says alot about Team Rodimus that they've kept their heads in the face of this and demonstrated that for all their flaws and faults, they are true heroes.

I wonder if Censere's pods have anything to do with the mystery bots from issue #46?

7. JoeMabbon

Drift and Ratchet's new designs are looking really good. I'm glad to have them back, hopefully some other Lost Light allies will arrive to bail them out, though the prologue ruled alot of characters out. I thought Drift and Rodimus may have reconciled a little to quickly and conveniently. I know it was in character for Drift and they don't have the luxury of time, but it still feels rushed is all.

Of all the returners, I was not expecting Overlord to come back now. I knew he wouldn't stay dead forever (especially with a toy teased), but I was worried he would overfill an already villain stuffed story. Thankfully, his wit and banter are still fully intact and he plays so well off of Tarn.

8. JoeMabbon

The big revelation was actually quite the shock. It fits in with everything else Roberts has done this season and confirms that he simply doesn't believe in filler in the slightest. Every idea, concept, or plot point introduced has a payoff somewhere down the line, often in the most unexpected of ways.

Other than that, more build up and character development. Nautica bares her spark, Brainstorm earns the greatest weapon designer title, and we finally move into the final battle.

Ravage only has one line this issue, but that along with his expressions are really something.

9. JoeMabbon

I loved the fight scenes in this issue. There were some great one-liners and references. This series is alot more like Star Trek than a traditional Transformers series, we rarely get to see the cast cut loose in a massive pitched battle. Seeing Rodimus do his overheat move was a treat. I think we've only seen it once in the entire IDW run. Someone had tell me that it was a reference to a Michael Bay meme from years ago.

[​IMG]

I was so prepared for the Fool's Energon to be something sinister, that I didn't even think it could be psychosomatic.

We were warned that we'd see some deaths in this arc, I highly doubt we're out of the woods yet.

10. JoeMabbon

So, both The Dying Light and All Hail Optimus represent the end of an era that began when Roberts and Barber took over the IDW Transformers line. The line was facing uncertainty. We didn't know it at the time but, we had just seen the last of the movie tie-in books, the Generations line would come to shape and be shaped by IDW, and we were getting two authors who would go on to become the two most successful Transformers authors since the '80s. I think both do an admirable job of closing off old story threads and providing closure while also opening the door to new narrative stories. Barber and Roberts expertly pull in plot points from years ago that were set up and foreshadowed throughout their runs. If their is an underlying theme that connects both story arcs its of course change and transformation. We get heroes who've grown and developed pitted against villains who haven't. Now, it just feels weird looking ahead and wondering what comes next.

11. JoeMabbon

12. JoeMabbon

In two weeks, the stupidest Decepticons in the universe team-up with the stupidest G.I. Joe agent on Earth in...The Really Final Issue of More than Meets the Eye!

#12 JoeMabbon, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016