1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Transformers (2012, #50 forward)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by JoeMabbon, Feb 23, 2016.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Optimus Prime leads humanity into a new era...

Transformers #50

[​IMG]

Written by John Barber
    Art by Andrew Griffith & Casey W. Coller

ALL HAIL OPTIMUS—PART 1! Backed by an army of zealous followers, OPTIMUS PRIME declares Earth to be a part of CYBERTRON’S Council of Worlds—and the DECEPTICONS and the people of Earth won’t take it laying down! The story starts here, but the repercussions will last forever.

Comments?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking at the preview, for once I have to agree with Galvatron, I've been waiting for him and Prime to really tussle since post-Dark Cybertron :cool:.

Too bad it looks like Fairebone is going to interrupt the big Autobot vs. Decepticon fight, but at least it's confirmed she cares about Thundercracker in the process :sweat:.

3. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The cover is interesting because it makes Optimus look like his decision will be a dominant one, something that is a stark contrast to his philosophy that freedom is the right of all sentient. I'm not as into The Transformers comic as I am MTMTE, but I can't remember Optimus ever getting to that point where he'd act that way anyway. My guess is that he's really only offering and the humans/Cons aren't too happy about it, but guess we'll wait and see.

If anything, this just proves I really need to find time and reread the entire series again. Both that and MTMTE.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I think IDW is promoting this as a jumping on point, but man is there alot going on in this issue. I think it all ties together well and the new arc going forward certainly has my attention. Optimus's decision is the main driver of the story of course, but Barber does an excellent job zeroing in on everyone involved from Arcee to Witwicky.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I think the lower page count was noticeable in this one. Other than that, it was a pretty solid followup. We get a good look at the character dynamics on the human side and a solid bit of characterization for Sunstreaker. Aileron's little stunt was over the top, but it still feels reasonable after everything she's been through and how naive she is about the outside universe. Hopefully, we'll get to explore the Aerialbots now that they've gotten to split up for a bit. Feels like they never got much screen time or development.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I'm not sure what Optimus expected to get from his meeting with the council. He barely offered an explanation, let alone a defense. Arcee's meeting with Galvatron didn't seem particularly fruitful either. She states that she didn't plan to kill Galvatron, but she didn't really get any useful information from him either.

I wish I could say I was surprised about the Mistress of Flame's revelations. Or even that Earth is the thirteenth colonies, but those were pretty obvious reveals. Earth really is the center of the universe. I think she's jumping the gun on Optimus being the planet's ruler, though.

Soundwave and Optimus's meeting was the main event. I never thought I'd see the day where Optimus blackmailed the Decepticons into working with him to conquer Earth, but here we are.

Buster in a spacesuit? Huh.

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Galvatron's hypocrisy was actually pretty surprising and adds a little depth to his character. He devoted so much time to purist propaganda and talking about his honor as a warrior, I wasn't expecting him to be a complete opportunist.

So now he have some more Combiners born from fusing any Transformers that just happen to be around. Eh...okay. That's how the toys worked in the Generations line. I can't say I'm thrilled having them all show up so suddenly. "Galvatronus" is just a name slap for the most part. Hopefully, they'll get some development before the interface is shutdown. I can't imagine Galvatron will get to keep this game-breaking power for very long.

Priscilla Tramontano's art was excellent, especially the expressions. The layouts were a little lacking in detail, though.

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Okay, now this is what we were building to! I thought last issue was a little lacking in character interactions once the action got started, but it came right back around in full force. Banter, shifting alliances, revelations, desperation—all the things that make this book great!

Blackrock finally manages to take control of his situation and regain his "arrogant, smartest guy in the room" charm. I was slightly worried that he might mope about his situation forever.

Superion, man that's pretty rough, but he still made it out better than I was expecting. I thought for sure that he was gonna be killed off quickly to make room for Victorion as the series's primary combiner. At least this leaves room for a return at some point down the line and his final act was suitably heroic.

Oh, Starscream. You can scheme and connive all you want, but you can't plan for everything. Prowl learned that the hard way. Speaking of, when's he gonna make his presence known?