1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" News & Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by ShadowGUN, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaJack

NinjaJack Active Member

I wish I could mute and fast forward Megan Fox:yawn:

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

You know you're surrounded by children when they rather post pictures of robots than this:

[​IMG]

Now, watch a mod come over and start complaining about the photo. ;)

3. SuperDudeX

SuperDudeX Active Member

[​IMG]

Optimus Prime is not amused by your joke.

4. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So did Bumblebee lost his voice again? I notice he didn't say anything at the beginning nor did the sound he made sounded like his voice so I am curious about that.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Eh, you can't really fault Transformers fans for wanting to see more of the robots. Fan service is nice and all, but the franchise is called Transformers, after all, not Megan Fox's Lady Parts. Let's face it: Megan Fox has no character; she's there to be hot for the male fans, nothing more.

People haven't been clamoring to see this sequel for the human characters.

6. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

But isn't that why we have the cake in the first place? :evil:
    Exactly. It's quite the opposite in fact :p

7. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Well, he's still working on getting it back, actually. When Sam walks in he tries talking normally, but only manages to cough out a 'Sam'.

8. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

It does look like there is more focus on the Transformers this time around. Sure Spik...er I mean Sam is still the main character but this time it looks like the robots will show up more often.

9. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

My only complaint is you acting like a disrespectful jerk whenever you do something you don't think we're going to like. Keep it to yourself. It's about creating a thread where it seems it's only puprose is to post a bunch of pictures of Fox or some other such woman and that is not what this forum is for. One can be okay. If you post 10 of her slowly getting off the bike, then we have a problem again.

10. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

That's like saying people don't order pizza for the cheese. Love them or hate them, the human characters were essential to the success of the first movie.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

What? Since when? I didn't go to the first one for Sam. I went to see Optimus on the big screen. Without the Transformers, what is Sam?

12. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Did not Beast Machines teach us that you should have organic and technological in harmony?

I can already see the third movie poster:

*Megan Fox's arse looms over Cybertron* "Beyond bad, beyond poor, beyond your worst nightmares..."

13. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Since Bay's first Transformers movie was a huge hit and made stars out of LeBeouf and Fox.

That's probably true for some people, many of whom were disappointed with the fact that Optimus and the Transformers had to share screen time with the humans, but I assure you, the movie would not have been the success it was, had it purely been about about big robots kicking each other around for a couple of hours.

I think you missed my point. I'm not saying the humans themselves could carry a movie, I'm saying Bay found the perfect balance between humans and robots.

Exactly what Bay achieved, despite some diehard Transformers want wanting it to be all about the robots.

#473 mr.happy, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I agree with that, though I'm not nearly so sure that a perfect balance was reached. Also, the prospect of Sam being the same as he was in the first movie also annoys me. It's not like he was a deep character but in the first movie he was justifiably overwhelmed, but at the end he has the guts to shove the allspark into Megatron. If he regresses into not wanting to be involved at all, then Bay will be retreading the same ground.

It's possible to focus on the Transformers while giving the humans their due. I'm just not confident that's what he's doing.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Well, it's a film 23 minutes shy of three hours, I think there's plenty of room for the TFs to shine. Bay was never quite fond with throwing out ALL of the special effects in the trailers.

16. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

I suppose there's always room for a bit of tweaking, but in terms of what was required to launch the franchise, I don't think anyone could have asked more of Bay.

I wouldn't judge the characters purely on the trailer. It seems like Sam is involved in plenty of heroics, and I wouldn't say his his defeat of Megatron suggested he had truly embraced his inner Chuck Norris. It was a do-or-die situation, which I'm sure he'd rather not find himself in again. The idea of a reluctant hero is hardly evidence that the character has regressed. Everyone from Jack Bauer and Batman to Superman and Indy have had moments where they'd rather be doing something else.

17. HellCat

Disliking the human's treatment and heavy focus in these films doesn't mean all a person wanted is a robot slam fest. If anything, I found the robot fights dull because they just seemed to treat the robot characters as oversized weapons. The problem I have is that these movies are treating the concept heavily as 'Humans discover a secret war between giant alien robots'. Some of us don't care for that. The original Optimus and many others are beloved because they're layered characters. I'm not going to lie and call them masterpieces of fiction, but the bots had clear character in all the various TV shows and comics. It was their story, they interacted with humans and behaved as equals. Bay however can't seem to get his mind off the idea that 'We build machines to service humans' and treats the bots as either snarling monsters or your personal vehicle suddenly getting an AI update.

18. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

I know, it was just a throw-away comment in the same vein as the "Bayformers fans just want explosions and T&A". The point is, it would have been extremely difficult to make a successful movie with the same sort of focus on the robots as the cartoons and comics had. The comic books in particular only have a very small niche market, and there are many good reasons to suspect this approach would not work with a mainstream audience. It's a little bit like how Watchmen, despite its diehard comic book fanbase, just didn't interest a mainstream audience at all.

I think what you have to remember is that, as a film maker, Bay is given a particular mission statement: Make a huge, kickass movie on a relatively small budget. If you've read Bay's comments, it seems to me that he has plenty of affection for the robots, but that he has to be realistic about the kind of movie he can make, and I would imagine the robots will get a bit more of the spotlight in the sequel, although I wouldn't expect a significant change in tone from the first one.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

You think that people would have gone to see the movie if the robots hadn't been in it? Right ;)....

GOOD GOD! That sounds interminable.

I don't really think that it's so much that (though given Bay's endless military fetishism, that's certainly a part of it). In all honesty, the central idea behind human being caught up in the war between the robots makes sense. Basically, the movie is about the humans, and the Transformers come into their world and their lives. It's just a part of the approach that the film takes, which, in all honesty, is probably the only logical way to approach a story like t his in this format.

What worked in the animated series and the comics is probably not going to be effective in live action anyway.

This argument gains further credence when you consider that Snyder essentially photocopied the graphic novel onto the screen. More to the point, a literal translation from the comics to the screen would probably be totally ineffective anyway.

[​IMG]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

OH MAN THAT'S A GOOD ONE MAN!

150-200 million dollars is a "relatively small budget?"

A talented indie filmmaker could make a hundred films for that amount of money.

The expectation of one of these movie to revolve entirely around the robots is quite frankly ludicrous.

20. HellCat

I agree that the angle of humans finding out about the Transformers being here in disguise fighting a covert war is a good one and I fully understand these movies have a massive task in having to appeal to the mainstream. But I still feel that they seem to be failing to treat the bots as equal genuine characters. They're either monstrous antagonists, fairly useless loyal protectors or gimmicky CGI sidekicks when by all rights the logic should be that they're an alien race that just happens to be transforming giant robots. That's how it's been in all other continuities and what defines it as Transformers. I know that it's a very Spielberg trait, ordinary people reacting to extraordinary events. But that shouldn't be the focus. I looked at the recent trailer it's all about Sam and Mikeala, with either the Decepticons trying to kill them in savage ways or the Autobots being subservient to them. It's Transformers, not The Fabulous Adventures of Sam Witwicky. I personally don't want another movie of the Autobots bumbling around and being treated as glorified special effects. Look at Peter Jackson- he made Kong and Gollum into key, emotive characters who happened to be CGI because it was the only credible way to do them. These movies aren't following that. In the first film, Jazz dies and Prime half heartedly acknowledged it before going into a speech about how great it is the humans and Earth survived. I was actually willing to let some of my misgivings go because I assumed the sequel would correct them but that isn't looking to be the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.