1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Trailers you've seen with movies?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by CartoonFridays, Dec 17, 2012.

1. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

This is a thread to tell what trailers you saw attached to the main feature, in complete or partial lists.

For example, I heard that the teaser for Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace was released in November 1998 attached to A Bug's Life and Meet Joe Black, with the second trailer released in March 1999 with Wing Commander. I also heard the first trailer for Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones was released in November 2001 attached to Monsters, Inc. and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and that the "Special Edition" trailer for the original trilogy was released in November 1996 with Space Jam, Jingle All the Way and Star Trek: First Contact.

Other examples include the teaser for Batman released in December 1988 with Tequila Sunrise, a trailer for Where the Wild Things Are released in November 2000 attached to How the Grinch Stole Christmas, (with the film going through development hell and being released in 2009) and a trailer for Brother Bear released in May 2003 with Finding Nemo (where Rutt and Tuke make a passing mention to the film).

There was also a special trailer for Monsters, Inc. attached to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone where Mike and Sulley play charades and make a reference to the film we're about to see and also make a joke that Monsters, Inc. might be playing in the same theater we're in.

This thread can also include special trailers for TV shows and networks, like a promo for Cartoon Cartoon Fridays placed alongside Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Big Daddy, a dual promo for Mike, Lu & Og and Courage the Cowardly Dog attached to Pokémon: The First Move and another CCF promo attached to The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Here's what I saw with Wreck-It Ralph:
    • Monsters, Inc. 3D
    • Oz: The Great and Powerful
    • Despicable Me 2
    • Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
    What did you see?

#1 CartoonFridays, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In can confirm the trailer. I saw Wing Commander with some friends, and the Episode I trailer ran with it. I remember it was a big deal, with an official announcement in the days prior that the trailer would be attached to it.

I saw the Special Edition trailer (the one with the small TV screen that then explodes into widescreen) with several movies, including, I believe, Independence Day.

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Interesting trailer stories?

The only one that comes to mind is that I went into Superman Returns' advance night in hopes of seeing the Spider-Man 3 teaser (final cut aside, I still like that ad) only to not receive it, nor any of the action/sci-fi blockbuster ilk like SR: instead, there was Ant Bully, The Nativity Story, Barnyard, Accepted and Beerfest. Save 'Nativity', none were terribly pleasant to view with surround sound.

I had no luck with 'big' trailers that year, really: for example, both Transformers teasers. I was also disappointed never to hear a 'WTH' reaction to the ATHF movie trailer in an audience, since that didn't get a theatrical release outside the USA.

Any truly positive memories? Well, sharing the absurd amusement with a crowd of seeing the R-rated mannequins that were to come in Team America (attached with the first AVP, oddly). Then some underage kid quoted a line loudly right after the trailer ended and the moment was then lost.

4. Blipsy

Blipsy Tara's been a bad girl

Did that trailer ever actually exist? I've seen it mentioned a lot online, but I've never seen any concrete evidence of its existence. And every mention I've seen of it came from within the last few years, so I think it may just be a big rumor that somehow got spread. I think a teaser for a hugely popular book playing before the top-grossing movie of 2000 would have stirred up a lot of press at the time, none of while I've found online.

But speaking of Where The Wild Things Are, I do remember seeing the teaser trailer before Monsters Vs. Aliens. I loved the book as a kid, and had heard about the movie, but I wasn't really looking forward to it. I didn't know who Spike Jonze was, so I assumed it would just be a dumb Hollywood blockbuster like the movie versions of The Grinch and The Cat In The Hat. But then, I saw the trailer, and I instantly fell in love with it. It became my most anticipated movie of the year, and it's now one of my all-time favorite movies.

When I saw Ted a few months ago, one of the trailers before it was The Odd Life Of Timothy Green, which was really weird. I don't know why the theater decided to play a trailer for a feel-good Disney movie before an raunchy R-rated movie. Though it was kind of interesting that both movies are about the main characters coming to life due to a magic wish.

I remember seeing Toy Story 2 in theaters, and Disney going all out promoting their upcoming movies. I remember them showing trailers for Fantasia 2000, The Tigger Movie, 102 Dalmatians, & Dinosaur. The trailer for 102 Dalmatians surprised me a lot, since I had no idea a sequel was being made, and the trailer made it look like some sort of prison drama until the very end. And I remember being awe-struck by the Dinosaur teaser, but also a bit confused, since it lasted a whopping 5 minutes. And while I had no way of knowing this at the time, the Tigger Movie trailer was somewhat infamous for featuring the song, "Semi-Charmed Life", which is about crystal meth addiction. Surprisingly, Disney still used that song in recent trailers for the Blu-ray!

Anyway, the last movie I saw was Rise Of The Guardians. They played trailers for Despicable Me 2, Monsters Inc 3D, and Oz: The Great And Powerful before it. Surprisingly, there were no trailers for Epic or The Croods.

#4 Blipsy, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  5. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Here are a few memorable ones I remember:

Tarzan (1999): Had a teaser for Toy Story 2.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001): Had a teaser for Scooby Doo (2002).
    Scooby Doo (2002): Had a teaser for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
    Happy Feet (2006): Had a teaser for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007). I remember Warner Bros. waited as long as possibly a week before releasing the trailer online, as a way to get people to see Happy Feet.
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009): Had a teaser for Despicable Me (2010).

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

On the topic of seeing a trailer for something that ended up getting delayed, I saw the trailer for The 13th Warrior when I went to see Deep Rising in January 1998. I was excited because I'd recently read Michael Crichton's novel, but of course the movie was ultimately not released until August 1999. That trailer might have had the original title, Eaters of the Dead (same as the novel), because I think it didn't change after sometime after it was delayed, but I can't remember exactly.

7. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

In 1999, I remember seeing Star Wars Episode I and catching the teaser trailer for South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. It was the one with the computer rendering an elaborate wireframe model that turns out to be Cartman in the end. The whole audience burst out laughing when they revealed it.

In 2003, I came in a little late to Finding Nemo, and I missed pretty much all the trailers. Which disappointed me greatly, because I'd heard that the trailer for Looney Tunes: Back in Action was debuting with it and I was all hyped up to see it at the time. (Then I actually saw the movie months later and was horribly disappointed, but that's another story.)

When I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 last year, all the trailers were for serious PG-13 rated films like Abduction and The Three Musketeers and Apollo 18... and then the trailer for Happy Feet Two comes on. You've just seen an astronaut get devoured by some unseen moon monster, and then boom, dancing penguins singing LL Cool J. There was an incredibly awkward silence in the theater after that one.

8. bobbybop

bobbybop Member

Saw rise of the guardians in UK cinema
    trailers were
    Parental Guidance
    Despicable me 2
    All stars
    The Hobbit

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Kind of a broad topic, but anyway...

I forget what movie it was before, but I remember seeing one of those movies with a bunch of previews before the film. After about the sixth or seventh trailer, I was getting restless and when the final trailer started, I was thinking, "Oh come on. Just start the movie already!" But then it turned out to be a trailer for Star Wars Episode III and I changed my attitude real quick. :p

Speaking of Star Wars, one of my favorite trailers of all time was for Ep. II: "Breathing". Talk about an effective trailer: You have nothing but Vader's distinctive breathing and some faint-but-building drums over extremely brief footage of the film, separated by fades to and from black. Nowadays the "fade to black" effect is overused in trailers, but in this particular case I think it was effective for giving tantalizing glimpses at the film, in the age just before the internet casually spoiled every plot point about a movie before its release. I must have watched that trailer dozens upon dozens of times when it debuted.

I think the record for most previews before a film was The Nightmare Before Christmas, with ten, IIRC.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jeez! I think there should be a limit on how many trailers run before a film. I saw something over the summer, and there were so many trailers it was nearly 30 minutes before the movie started. I've gotten in the habit of checking my watch when the first trailer starts and when then movie starts, to see how long it's taken, and this particular instance it was something like 27 or 28 minutes. Insane! I love the rush of some cool trailers, but after a handful even I start feeling, "Just get to the movie already!"

A friend of mine who works at a movie theater said that, at least per their policy, it's up to the theater to decide which trailers and how many to show. The only mandate is that the studio sends one of its own with the film and that one has to be shown, but the rest are up to them. With theaters always wanting to get in as many showings of a film per day as possible, you think they'd be more restrictive on how many trailers they put before a movie.

11. FeedMeMore!

FeedMeMore! Member

I do remember seeing the Pokemon the First Movie teaser in front of Mystery Men as well as the Mission Impossible II teaser in front of Pokemon the First Movie itself.

Also remember seeing promos for Cartoon Network's Teen Titans on movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Hulk, Lord of the Rings the Return of the King, SWAT, Along Came Polly, 50 First Dates, Shrek 2, Spider Man 2, Harry Potter 3, The Incredibles, Oceans Twelve, The Phantom of the Opera, Meet the Fockers, Robots, Star Wars Episode III, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Just Like Heaven, Chicken Little, Wallace and Gromit, Harry Potter 4, Fantastic Four, and King Kong, as well as a promo for Trouble in Tokyo on World Trade Center and Talladega Nights.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay. I don't remember which movie it was in front of....but I remember one trailer being the entire five-minute opening to the first Ice Age movie (the first Scrat sequence). And it wasn't called Ice Age. The title at the end was "BC."

No, really. I swear I saw it. The end shot was the 20th Century Fox logo and then the letters "BC" in stone landed in front of it, leading me to believe they were making a movie out of the BC comic strip.

Obviously, Ice Age has nothing to do with the BC strip, so I have no idea what that was. Were they calling it "BC" at one point before the holders of the rights to the strip wouldn't let them?

Not at all. In a topic like this the most memorable trailers we remember will be brought up, so it's actually kind of fascinating.

I went to Grinch in the theaters; I do not remember "Wild Things Are" being promoted. Usually by the time the first teaser starts rolling out, production is far enough that cancelling it at that stage would be too costly.

You saw a different 102 Dalmatians trailer. I must have gotten the teaser; it was just a dog darting around while spotted paint blotches rained down all around it and "Bow-wow, yippie-yo, yippie-yay" played. Then Glenn Close, in full Cruella makeup appeared and said "I'm baaaack" before laughing. I'm still not sure we needed 102 of them. Disney sure milked those dogs back then.

Aw man, I didn't get that one. Fox attached something I've never seen again to Episode 1: a combo-trailer hyping every movie the studio had coming out for the next six months, separated by searchlights wiping the screen. They also squeezed in a 20-second mention of Titan A.E. which was more than a year away (but they must have figured Star Wars, why not).

Well, if you want to see less trailers, see the film later. That seems to lessen the amount. I've noticed the opening weekend flicks seem to be packed with more trailers, but maybe that's just me.

13. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I'm not sure if you're right with that memory. First, the trailer debuted in December 1998 and was probably seen mostly in early 1999. By the time Phantom Menace came out, the trailers had actual scenes from the movie. Second, I don't think a trailer for a South Park movie would be shown before a PG movie that kids would most likely be watching.

14. Blipsy

A lot of trailers for comedies use a joke where they make the movie look like something it's not before revealing the main characters. For examples, the teaser for The Simpsons Movie made it look like a CGI rabbit movie, The Muppets trailer made it look like a romantic comedy, the Scooby-Doo teaser made it look like a Batman movie, etc. But the movie that did it most memorably, in my opinion, was Chicken Little.

The teaser for Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy showed a shot of Earth while "What A Wonderful World" played, until the Earth exploded. When I saw the actual movie in theaters, it looked like they were playing the teaser again. I thought, "Either the movie is beginning just like the trailer, or the projectionist messed up." Then, halfway through it, the screen "falls" on Chicken Little! I thought that was pretty clever and very unexpected.

15. Printzen

Printzen Member

Free Willy had Don Blut's Thumbelina on VHS.

16. FeedMeMore!

FeedMeMore! Member

Here are some trailers I remember seeing in the theaters:

Dreamgirls teaser: Narnia, Glory Road, Ice Age 2
    Santa Clause 2 Teaser: 102 Dalmatians and Recess School's Out
    Tarzan Teaser: Star Trek Insurrection
    The Iron Giant: Star Wars Episode 1
    Rugrats Movie teaser: Titanic
    Godzilla teaser: Men in Black
    Toy Story 2: Tarzan, Austin Powers, and The Bachelor
    Les Miserables 1998: Anastasia
    Star Wars Episode I teaser: A Bug's Life
    Digimon the Movie: X-Men
    Atlantis the Lost Empire: Meet the Parents
    Charlie's Angels teaser: Pokemon 2000
    Monsters Inc: Emperors New Groove, Zoolander, Shrek
    Shrek teaser: Meet the Parents
    Chicken Run: Wonder Boys
    Dinosaur: Toy Story 2
    Wallace and Gromit Were Rabbit: Madagascar and Just Like Heaven
    Jurassic Park III teaser: Pokemon 2000
    Harry Potter 1: Osmosis Jones
    Pearl Harbor: Pokemon 3
    Evolution teaser: Shrek, 102 Dalmatians
    Scooby Doo: Harry Potter
    Star Wars Episode II: Monsters Inc
    PPG Movie: Star Wars Episode II
    The Two Towers: PPG Movie
    Star Wars Episode III: The Incredibles
    Treasure Planet: Star Wars Episode II
    Transformers: Superman Returns
    the Dark Knight: The Simpsons Movie
    Superman Returns: Chicken Little and Harry Potter 4
    Spider Man: Atlantis the Lost Empire
    Batman Begins: The Incredibles and Spider Man 2

Also saw KND promos before Phantom of the Opera 2004 and Star Wars Episode III.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FeedMeMore!

FeedMeMore! Member

Also remember seeing a rare 2001 teaser to The Time Machine with prints of Pokemon 3 and Shrek.

18. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of trailers, did the spider-man teaser trailer ever air in theaters, or was it pulled before it even got a chance to run (it had two bank robbers trying to escape in a helicopter, only to be caught in a web between the WTC towers). I know it was pulled after 9/11.

19. Blipsy

The teaser premiered with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in July 2001, so it played for a couple of months before being pulled.

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

If you mean the one that was kind of like a car commercial only it was describing the features of the time machine, I wouldn't call it "rare." I saw it as well, despite seeing neither of those movies in the theaters.

Yes, it did run. I don't know which films it appeared before, though.