1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's Cartoon Network 20th Anniversary: 2009 -- Talk about CN Real

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Scrappy-Fan92, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

The title says it all.

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I hope they dumped the master tapes in the incinerator.

That about sums up my thoughts of that mess. CN's deluded attempt at getting into the live-action game when they have zero business being in it. The people who decided to do it should feel terrible for thinking it was a good idea. Absolutely zero redeeming qualities beyond steeling my resolve that reality TV is one of the worst innovations in broadcast history.

3. getbackinyourtac

The name may be dead, but the idea behind it still persists. With Level up still taking up ad space, along with the upcoming shows Team Toon, which consists of nothing but actors with photoshopped cartoon heads on them, and that one sketch comedy show starring Nick Cannon (Did Viacom get sick of him or something?) It's pretty clear that the people in charge are still trying to shove live action in our faces, when in the past fives years, the viewers have constantly shown to not care anything about.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It was truly their darkest hour, and thank goodness today's children had enough taste not to buy into it.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was a dumb idea that died like we all hoped it would.
    I remember when Cartoon Network reps came to my art school, telling us about CN's plans and whatnot, and they told us that he reason for the live-action is because kids can relate to real people more than cartoons, and that they're a business that puts kids first.
    I guess they don't know their kid audiences as well as they thought.

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It's almost as if they forgot that kids LIKED to watch cartoons or something...

7. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

CN Real. A horrible mess with a blatant knock off of Cash Cab set in a roller coaster, a survival show that distastefully exploited the misfortunes of a bunch of teenagers, a weird ghost hunting show, a lowest common denominator vehicular construction/demolition show that also served as a massive kick in the family jewels to little brothers like myself, some black Ray William Johnson wannabe making dumb observations on random stock footage, and hippies who tried to mix MythBusters and that MTV show with Steve-O and failed miserably. All on a network specifically called Cartoon Network.

No freaking wonder why they're trying to bury it.

8. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

Two words: A disaster.

9. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

It sickens me to know they made a character specific promo for the block...

Also, I only enjoyed two shows that were live-action. Those two shows were Unnatural History and Tower Prep. Both good shows, just on the wrong network, unfortunately.

10. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

CN Real: Proof positive that today's kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

CN Real was a prime example of Stuart Snyder and Rob Sorcher trying to force feed its' audience something which they neither wanted nor asked for in the first place. Not surprisingly, no one ordered seconds.

Not only did Team Snycher have the audacity to try running live-action shows on Cartoon Network, but they weren't even good or original live-action shows. They were lame and creatively bankrupt knockoffs of reality and game shows: The Othersiders (Ghost Hunters), Survive This (Man VS Wild), Destroy Build Destroy (Junkyard Wars), Bobb'e Says (The Soup), Dude, What Would Happen? (Mythbusters/MTV's Wildboyz), etc.

If the shows on CN Real had at least been decent, well-made concepts with high production values and had been cartoonish in nature (like something along the lines of Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Far Out Space Nuts, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, The Aquabats! Super Show! or H.R. Pufenstuf), combined live-action with animation (like The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! or Cartoon Gene) or were loosely connected to cartoons (like Man VS Cartoon or Toon Heads), then the block might have survived. But if CN Real had succeeded, then we'd be seeing a lot less cartoons on CN than we are now, so it's just as well that things happened the way they did.

12. DuckTwacy

DuckTwacy French phone.

Completely agree with this. If CN could be creative with their live action shows and make them cartoon related or cartoon-like (or at least rerun shows like that), then I'd be all for it. I'm fine with them running more cartoonish live action movies as well, although there is still some irony in this: [video=youtube;-adG9pcRhrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adG9pcRhrA[/video]

13. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Bumped for discussion in the 25th anniversary.

As I mentioned in the other thread (http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/toonzones-cartoon-network-20th-anniversary-2009.5255971/) in 2009 Cartoon Network did not premiere any new original animated series. The majority of the channel's focus this year from the summer onward was dedicated to live-action series.

CN Real came with the following series:
    -Bobb'e Says (promo):

-BrainRush (promo):

-Destroy Build Destroy (promo):

-Dude, What Would Happen? (promo):

-The Othersiders (intro):

-Survive This (promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4CWKslgHg)

14. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

That year, I was petrified. Even though I didn't live in a country with CN Real, I just knew that this happened in the USA and this was very sad for me. Luckily for us, we never had it.