1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's Cartoon Network 20th Anniversary: 2001

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Scrappy-Fan92, May 7, 2012.

1. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

#1 Scrappy-Fan92, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  2. DuckTwacy

DuckTwacy French phone.

To promote :sheep:, CN created one of the greatest ever commercials for a cartoon:

[video=youtube;u2jOH8Q1DKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jOH8Q1DKk[/video]

As one of the comments on the video page says, it's ironic that such a high-budget ad was made for a show that didn't last too long.

Also, it's good to see that Aqua Teen Hunger Force, one of the very first Adult Swim shows, is still running. Oh, and by the way, I think the PPG movie came out in 2002, not 2001.

3. Jazz

Jazz Member

Yeah the PPG movie was in 2002. I remember seeing Time Squad when it first premired, with robots eating people and what not- good times :) . Robot Jones, I recall it being decent enough, but it just couldn't make it, very sad it only got to thirteen episodes.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Just a minor nitpick: Sheep came out in 2000 and Robot Jones came out in 2002.

Anyway, I really loved this year's Big Pick Weekend. It had KND which later became one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

5. Scrappy-Fan92

Sorry about the airdate errors, I was too lazy to consult all the correct info and just went off of memory. On an unrelated note, here's a semi-Scrappy-Doo hating, semi-funny CCF commercial from circa 2001/2002:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6juEOmOaYVk

6. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

This was kinda the beginning of the end of me an Cartoon Network proper: Adult Swim began, and since I was then a teen it became more... err, socially acceptable to just watch that and forgo the "juvenile" cartoons (stupid teen me), and the new Dexter's rubbed me the wrong way, probably only watched half a dozen of those all the way through.

7. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

This was also the year that Justice League premiered. One of my all-time favorite cartoons to come out of Cartoon Network.

8. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Same here, but it was also the year they had the only other show (aside from Avatar:TLAB) that was as cool as JL... Samurai Jack!!! :)

D.

9. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

Another fun, brilliantly structured, awesome year in CN's timeline.

I actually remember watching this Big Pick Weekend when I.M. Weasel hosted. Besides the Kids Next Door and Grim and Evil pilots, what were the other shorts? For that matter does anyone remember the shorts that were apart of Big Pick 2000 (sans Longhair and Doubledome)?

10. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

Big Pick 2000
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Lucky Lydia
    Trevor!
    Nikki
    Prickles
    Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?
    Foe Paws
    Lost Cat
    Sheep in the Big City
    Miller
    Uncle Gus

Big Pick 2001
    Captain Sturdy
    Yee Haw and Doo Dah
    Imp, Inc.
    The Kids Next Door
    A Kitty Bobo Show
    Ferret & Parrot
    My Freaky Family
    Major Flake
    Swaroop
    Utica Cartoon

11. Scrappy-Fan92

Bumped for discussion on the 25th anniversary, it's 2001! Samurai Jack, Grim & Evil, and Time Squad premiered, while Dexter's Laboratory returned. Also, the Scooby-Doo special Night of the Living Doo premiered. Feel free to discuss.

12. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh, no wonder I forgot to reply to the 2002 thread!

I remember how big of a deal Dexter's Lab's return was. The show was in repeats for 2 years and still brought in great ratings. While the industry is obviously different today, I do think this is proof that kids don't forget about shows so easily. Although I do think that the show's original run ended at its height of popularity, so that was kind of on CN and Genndy.

As for the series that premiered this year, I have to admit that I wasn't a Justice League fan at first. I watched the first few episodes and thought that it was boring, so I dropped it. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I tried the show again and really got into it. I still don't care much for the first season, although it gets a little better as it goes along, and I think Unlimited is inconsistent, but the second season is wholly excellent. In hindsight, I do regret not sticking around.

Samurai Jack is another one that I didn't really love, but I watched most if not all of it. It's a little too much style over substance for me, but what style! I recognized the terrific art design and dug the action and variety of storylines, but I did get bored with it at specific points. That said, I am really liking this season.

And I forget what I wanted to win the Big Pick last year, but "Meet the Reaper" seemed like the most agreeable short that aired, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed to see it win. Grim & Evil was pretty cool, and I think I liked both segments about equally... until they split up, and it became apparent that Grim was the stronger one. The first season of Billy & Mandy doesn't do much for me anymore, but I do enjoy the show as it goes along. Evil Con Carne, meanwhile, had some good stuff when it was combined with Grim, but I don't think it had what it took to survive on its own.

And of course, there was [adult swim]. No kids in the pool. I remember The Brak Show being my favorite from when I could stay up and watch it, but pretty much all of it entertained me at the time. Except for Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was just anime characters standing around and smoking. A few years later, though, and it became one of my favorites.

13. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Again, didn't start watching CN until very late in this year. However, from what I've heard and researched it's pretty clear that 2001 was the quintessential year of the Powerhouse Era.

The Bugs vs. Daffy Big Game aired which was the last of the 4 cartoon Super Bowl specials. They even had a tailgate special for it on CCF too, and speaking of CCF, 2001 was definitely the peak year of the block overall when the cartoons hosted it, and as someone already stated it was a great year for the Big Pick Weekend when Codename: KND won. A lot of big premieres happened in 2001, like Time Squad, Samurai Jack, Grim & Evil, and Justice League. Dexter's Laboratory reruns were so popular that it was revived for a 3rd season. All the other Cartoons Cartoons were airing regularly of course. 2001 was the start of Primetime block during weeknights which had jazz music mixed with colorful backgrounds of cartoon characters inside the bubbles. 2001 was without a question the peak of Toonami on weekdays with TOM 2 in its prime with shows like Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Outlaw Star, Mobile Suit Gundam, Zoids, Sailor Moon, etc.

2001 was the final year Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures reruns were on the air. Even though I don't care for a lot of Hanna-Barbera or classic MGM cartoons, 2001 seemed to be the last year those were more noticeable on Cartoon Network as well. Adult Swim premiered this year. So 2001 was a gigantic year for Cartoon Network. A lot of the shows that started in 2001 carried on throughout the late years of the Powerhouse Era. However, a lot of classic shows or reruns you'd see often the earlier Powerhouse years stopped airing or began playing less around 2001. So 2001 was like the bridge year between the 1st and the 2nd half of the Powerhouse Era.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot to mention the Primetime lineup, but I really liked the bumpers for that. Check this out. The variety in particular is what I liked about this block, that The Flintstones and Tom & Jerry could still air at peak hours alongside Powerpuff Girls and Courage. I'd love for something like that now, but ah well.

But yeah, this is when CN was increasingly starting to focus on their originals, give or take blocks like Toonami, and the most iconic classics. Like how the Warner comedies were being bought back up by Nickelodeon to air. Cartoon Network was in a place where most of their originals were hits, and they could air some of them daily.

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

2001 was my favorite year as far as CCF is concerned. As I said five years ago, I loved the Big Pick Weekend. I loved the new hosts. I loved the fact that KND won the contest.

I also liked the primetime. That jazzy music is still stuck in my head.

16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

A very true observation. Powerhouse era runs from July 1997 to July 2004. Toonami was in the middle of it's Golden Age, which I consider to be from March 2000 to March 2003 (though others go from July 1999 to July 2004 - aka the start of TOM 1 to the transition to Saturdays for Toonami).

My point being that everything good about Cartoon Network powerhouse era was in full swing that year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BlooMac

BlooMac Well-Known Member

I think this was the all-time peak of Cartoon Network. Great originals, there were plenty of classics, including in peak hours, Toonami had great shows too, Adult Swim started, a lot of awesome events (Big Game, June Bugs, Big Pick) and the branding and promos were top-notch. It really felt like an all-ages cartoon channel, the schedule offered programming for everyone from kids to adults. After that the channel slowly started decaying, it got up a couple of times, but it never managed to reach where it was in 2001.

Of course, I'm not saying the channel died in 2002 and everything that came after was horrible. There were a lot great things, but it felt there was always something missing.

18. Scrappy-Fan92

Here's the opening to Night of the Living Doo, a Scooby-Doo parody/homage to The New Scooby-Doo Movies (and alongside 1999's The Scooby-Doo Project, the first Scooby material made specifically for Cartoon Network):

Also worth noting is that Cartoon Network allegedly had an event where Kids WB! programming (including Pokemon) was aired for several weeks.

19. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I might have watched CN before, but this is the earliest I remember of the channel with any given clarity. For all that I know, I remember that the channel had British ads one day and then, suddenly, gone.

This is from the second half of the year: