1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's Cartoon Network 20th Anniversary: 1999

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Scrappy-Fan92, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Alright, today we're going to look at another big year for CN!
    At the turn of the millennium, The Best Place for Cartoons had:
    -Introduced T.O.M. 1.0 to Toonami
    -Premiered I am Weasel, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Mike, Lu, & Og and Courage the Cowardly Dog
    -Renewed Johnny Bravo for its second, slapstick-oriented season
    -Started Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (only with reruns)

JB Season 2 Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YxOWXXY3k
    Courage Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xVPhIUfvA
    EEnE Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujL4lr-7edI
    ML&O Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmz1diDfWMY
    CCF 1999 Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAN6WNzjiA&list=PLC4F13618FB1A3607&index=16&feature=plpp_video
    Toonami Intro w/T.O.M. 1.0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5zGJTWgR2k&feature=related
    I am Weasel Intro (from Cow & Chicken): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoipXASNyc

2. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

This was when I started watching Toonami. I was only vaguely aware of it during the Moltar era.

EEnE and Courage weren't as immediately impressive as Dexter or Powerpuff Girls but it turned out they both had major league staying power.

3. Scrappy-Fan92

Bumped for discussion during the 25th anniversary. For those of you who had CN at the end of the millennium, what did you think the network would be like in the 2000's? How much were you wrong/right?

4. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the last thread, I mentioned that I knew right away that Powerpuff was going to be a hit. When I first watched EEnE, I didn't care if it was or not- I knew that this was going to be my show, and that's all that mattered. While the show never became as big of a cash cow as PPG (if you ask me, I don't think CN really knew what to do with the show), it definitely held its own, even against rival cartoons, and its end signaled the end of an era. We can talk about that later, though.

The other premieres I wasn't expecting that much from, but Courage was clearly no slouch, itself. Even though that wasn't my favorite at the time, I really liked catching it and others each week on CCF, which even with Toonami at the prime of its life, was still my favorite block in the network's history. Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, etc were very good, special cartoons, and having an outlet to catch them, often with at least one premiere, sometimes multiple in the same night, was really exciting.

Even though Dexter's Laboratory was in repeat mode at the time, and Cow & Chicken would follow suit by the end of the year, adding them to the lineup still felt complete. Samurai Jack repeats added a few years later was similarly a good touch. But that's nothing compared to when The Big Pick came around. But I can get to all of that when those threads appear.

This was a really good year for Cartoon Network. CCF was a perfect addition to the lineup, Toonami was continuing to innovate and stand out, and you could easily still catch the best of the classics among these awesome new cartoons. To answer your question of what I was expecting from the new millennium, I guess just more new cartoons of equal or higher quality. To be honest, I didn't want too much to change, and I don't think much did change right away.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Cartoonfan15

Cartoonfan15 Banned

This was a great year. Honestly, I enjoyed 1999 for Nickelodeon more, but that might just be my bias with Nickelodeon, as i've always been more of a Nickelodeon fan than a Cartoon Network fan. That being said, great year.

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays came that year and that was a great block. Most of the shows on that block were great. Even though Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls are the only shows on that block back in 1999 that are favorites of mine, shows like Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, and Courage the Cowardly Dog were great shows in their own ways.

Also, this year is notable for the debuts of The Eds and Courage. While I wouldn't say I love those shows, they are fantastic shows. Ed, Edd n Eddy is a hilarious show that has really good chemistry with the characters, the music is nice and jazzy, and the characters are well, funny. It also had one of the most satisfying finales in a cartoon and is very quotable.

Courage the Cowardly Dog was a very artistic cartoon. The visuals and music were outstanding and the show had powerful messages and episodes. I'm surprised that the episode "The Mask" got passed by the censors. It was also one of the most solid Cartoon Network shows of all time. I don't think there was a bad episode at all, unlike Ed, Edd n Eddy, which had a few bad episodes (I actually don't find If It Smells Like an Ed a bad episode though).

Also, there was some fantastic Powerpuff Girls episodes this year, including Mr. Mojo's Rising, Bubblevicious, The Rowdyruff Boys, Just Another Manic Mojo, Uh Oh Dynamo, Supper Villain,Los Dos Mojo, etc. It was a great year indeed.

6. Scrappy-Fan92

Good posts, everyone. A lot of the things I appreciated about CN in the 2000's got their start in 1999. Something that I got wrong back in 2012 was assuming that Dexter's Ego Trip (TV movie of, end of Genndy Tartakovsky's involvement with, and original finale of Dexter's Lab) premiered in 2000, but that was also this year :). I believe 1999 was also when Funimation premiered their in-house dub for Dragon Ball Z, meaning 1999 was when Cartoon Network got the first "new" episodes to air in the United States.

7. mqg96

mqg96 Member

I didn't start watching Cartoon Network yet, but I think 1999 was the year Cartoon Network finally reached its peak, because it was the year Ed, Edd n Eddy and Courage the Cowardly Dog premiered, which meant by fall of that year the 6 most popular Cartoon Cartoons (Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, PPG, EE&E, and Courage) were all airing at once. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays premiered which was one of the best blocks in CN history, although the cartoons didn't start hosting it until 2000. It was the year TOM 1 debuted on Toonami and like someone already mentioned the Funimation dub of DBZ premiered which is when the craze of anime on Toonami truly began. Then of course by 1999 there were many Kids WB reruns on the air too. Fall 1999 seemed like an exciting time to watch CN.

#7 mqg96, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some more things to note about 1999:

I've gotten into Ed, Edd n' Eddy before (spoiler alert: it's one of my favorites), but besides all of the reasons that I think it works, one way that it was important for Cartoon Network was how different it was- the right kind of different, in fact. While most of their other originals took from their Hanna-Barbera roots, EEnE was seemingly far more inspired by classic animation, as well as the sensibilities of Ren & Stimpy, independent animation, and Peanuts. I feel that it took enough to make a good show, all while sticking enough to Antonucci's guns that it came and still comes off as totally unique, being nostalgic and relevant at the same time. In the years since, I've seen other shows take things from it, but there's nothing else like it.

I Am Weasel is a case where I'm not sure if it would have done better if the first season was comprised of the original segments, or if there just wasn't that much more to do with the characters. The second season, which comprised of new episodes, I recall being good, but I feel that was it for them. Just like their mother show, Weasel and Baboon wouldn't make it too far into the new millennium, but I enjoyed the ride while it lasted. Neither Weasel nor Cow & Chicken are among my favorites, but I'd buy their sets. That said, there just isn't that much to it.

Mike, Lu & Og
    is interesting for being their first outright failure. While I would say that Nickelodeon had some weak cartoons until then, it took a good decade for a show to be considered a total failure (I wouldn't count Invader Zim as one though), but CN didn't even make it to the millennium before finding a show that didn't click. And seeing how they handled the show before ending it for good was interesting- if I recall right, they switched it to Saturday or Sunday premieres somewhere in season 2, then only aired it during weekend mornings. And it was also one of the first Cartoon Cartoons to air on Boomerang.

The funny thing is, I did actually like the show as a kid. It was a nice little thing, and I thought that the characters were fun. Looking at it now, I can see why ML&O didn't catch on. It's a little too nice, totally edgeless in comparison to the other Cartoon Cartoons. If you had said that this was a Klasky-Csupo show with a new look, I would have bought it, especially since Lu is a dead ringer for Angelica. Humor and story wise, there just isn't that much to it. I think that the show might have done better a few years later, but I don't think it would have been a better series.

Courage, meanwhile, was a welcome addition, and closer to the original Cartoon Cartoons. Like EEnE, it's pretty far removed from the earlier series, but this was also its own thing, combining its own classic influences with a distinctly modern aesthetic. If anything, it was a perfect antidote to Mike, Lu & Og's blandness.

I also want to talk about Johnny Bravo, as it returned almost entirely a new thing. I'm not sure how much of the belief that it was reformatted after the first season underperformed with kids is true, but the series did change showrunners, and it did change its sensibilities. Dexter's and Powerpuff also played with pop culture regularly, but Johnny deliberately stayed a little too old-school in its first season, which the next part of the show all but avoided.

And its reformatting worked- they got three season's worth of material from this change, and kids got into the show and character more than before. For the record, I like both runs of the show equally, and I even have good memories of the last season when Partible returned, but I haven't seen much of that in a while.

This was also when Powerpuff Girls was becoming a big deal, but Powerpuff mania wouldn't hit everywhere until the end of the year, tops. From what I've heard, a lot of companies were calling at CN's door to market it very early on, but I guess they weren't sure how to market it right away.

And right around when its original run ended, Dexter's Lab was also gaining peak ratings, doing well enough for CN to reconsider letting it end just because its creator wanted to do other things. if anything, Dexter's was proof that kids could stick to repeats for a long time, as even though new episodes wouldn't air for a good two years, it was still constantly among their highest rated series. Yet nowadays, when a show's on its last stretch, it's usually all but left for dead.

• Like Like x 1