1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Spidey conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Avatar: The Last Airbender. This is about as no-contest a choice as you can get.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Aladdin could be all right for a Disney TV series but let's be honest, there's the original movie and then there's everything else. Nothing is as good (except maybe that broadway musical? Hmm). On the other hand there is Avatar. I could say a lot about it, for now I'll settle for this: that was an action toon that, in its way, pushed boundaries just as Batman TAS did, and its reach didn't exceed its grasp.

Also, it delivered Zuko. His story is brilliant. This show would not be anywhere near what it is without it.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Avatar the Last Airbender. Still easily one of the best animated series ever made, with a second season that I still think is one of the best single seasons of television, regardless of medium. Aladdin would have to work awful hard to top what Mike & Bryan managed to achieve with this show.

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Avatar, Avatar, Avatar. It is an engrossing tale that respects its audience and delivers in just about every field: animation, character development, action, plot, etc. It's one of the few shows I still regularly watch over and over.

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to go with Aladdin, since I think I'm the only person who doesn't really like Avatar that much at all. Aladdin was far from a perfect series itself, but it did have some solid episodes and animation at times.

6. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Wonderfly, you seriously put a show that's not only regarded as one of the greatest animated action cartoons of the modern generation, but one of the most critically-acclaimed cartoons EVER......against Aladdin: The Animated Series?

Eh, not every match can be a slobberknocker I guess. Avatar: The Last Airbender gets my vote.

7. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Active Member

Well, this is easy. Avatar: The Last Airbender.

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, they can't all be knock down/drag out/tooth and nail fights. ;) Having said that, I know there is a diehard community of fans of the Aladdin TV series (it was at one time the pinnacle of the Disney afternoon), I just wondered if any of those fans would show up here at Toonzone. Plus, you have people like Darklordavaitor who think Avatar's overrated. (Stone him, not me!!) ;)

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Definitely going with Avatar: The Last Airbender! Such a great cartoon!

10. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Gonna have to go with Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's up there for one of my favorite series all time. It did so much right.

My favorite part about this action show was the comedy. It just made me laugh so much. I think that was probably based more in loving the characters than the actual jokes too. It was just so well done, in my opinion.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed the Aladdin cartoon. But it's nowhere near as great as Avatar:TLA, a show filled with great characters, fun action, an imaginative setting, heavy themes, and a well thought out story that rewards viewers to tune into every episode. Avatar gets my vote, one of the best cartoons I've ever seen.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Avatar: The Last Airbender. No contest. It is a fantastic show that delivers in practically every area. The characters have fleshed out personalities with solid development, Zuko's storyline in particular is excellent, the storyline is paced quite well, it does a great job with its worldbuilding, the action is great, the humor is a good balance to the action and serious moments and it had a really satisfying conclusion. While I can see why people would find it overrated, this is one of the few series that I think deserves every praise it gets. It was terrific and easily one of the best animated series in recent years.

I remember watching Aladdin: The Animated Series back when Disney Channel aired it and I remember having a lot of fun with it. It had some good adventures and it was engaging, but I don't know if I'd still feel that way if I watched the series now. Even if I did, it would have had to be extremely good for me to vote for it. As it is, Avatar: The Last Airbender gets my vote.

13. wonderfly

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

14. Cookiefication

Cookiefication ¯\(º_o)/¯

Nice to have a couple of easy ones.

gets my vote. I still find myself watching the reruns whenever they're on. Such a great series, and the votes are well deserved.

I remember watching some of the Aladdin series, but I don't think I ever really cared for it. The theme song is rushing back to my mind, though.

15. wonderfly

The voting has ended for Match #16!

The Winner:

And that brings us to the end of Round #1 of Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets!" Look for a new thread for Round #2 to premier soon!

16. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I'm glad we get the opportunity now to discuss the first round after the fact. There really wasn't any big surprises on the "Spidey" side. Pretty much all of the shows that I expected to win their battles, won their battles.

17. wonderfly

Hmm, I had meant for the main Tournament discussion thread (where I'm housing the current standings in the tournament) to be the place for people to discuss the results of voting (stuff like "My show didn't win!" or "I'm glad that show won the vote!", or "C'mon, people vote for my show next round!"), but I won't oppose if people want to discuss it here as well.

I don't want to sway votes, but as far as shows that have fallen out of the tournament, I will say I was surprised to see Powerpuff Girls do as well as it did. And what, no love for the original "Max Steel" series? And "Conan the Adventurer" vows bloody vengeance for having been eliminated so early. ;)