1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Spidey conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if I've seen either show actually. I know that I never saw Conan the Adventurer, but I might have seen some episodes of Spider-Man Unlimited. Although, I might be remembering promos for the show instead of actual episodes, but it could have been bother. So, I guess that I'll vote for Spider-Man Unlimited. It's probably the most forgettable animated Spider-Man series, but I feel a bit better voting for a show that I have some vague memories of rather than one I've never heard of.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

The voting has ended for Match #12!

The Winner:

Spider-Man Unlimited!!

Onward, to the next match!

3. wonderfly

Match #14:

She-Ra: Princess of Power!

[video=youtube;wR65P73X5GI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wR65P73X5GI[/video]

Versus:

4. wonderfly

The Maxx!!

[video=youtube;N61dlbDfnSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N61dlbDfnSo[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The Maxx. Much more innovative.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately I haven't really watched much of either show, but I guess She-Ra gets my vote this round. I don't think I ever managed to watch a full episode of The Maxx, whereas I'm sure I watched a couple of She-Ra adventures. Pretty much the same reason why I voted for He-Man in an earlier round - I know more about the plot and characters than with its opponent here.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The Maxx. Possibly the highest-end motion comic ever made. Also MTV's biggest dive into significantly darker-than-normal storytelling (also, it's all available to stream online legally and free).

She-Ra was neat from the standpoint of being a female-led action cartoon in an era when a majority were boys-only shows, but at the end of the day, it wasa rather by-the-numbers production.

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Going to go with The Maxx for this round. Matt makes an interesting point that it is a motion comic years before the term gained widespread usage, but at the time I just thought it was cool for managing to make the animation look like Sam Kieth's comic book art. It was also wacky as hell, although it descended into incoherence pretty quickly.

I remember She-Ra with even less fondness than the original He-Man, and can't remember if it ever pulled out an episode like "Teela's Quest" that stuck with me after years and years.

9. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

She-Ra - Like with He-Man, it was by no means the greatest cartoon ever created. However, I have very fond memories of it. The five part min-series that started the series was the best part of the show. I remember seeing it in the movie theater when the episodes were shown in the theater as the "movie" "Secret Of The Sword". I also loved the He-Man/She-Ra Christmas special which I used to watch every year around Christmas time back when I used to have more free time.

10. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

The Maxx

Sorry Princess. Love the rainbow winged unicorn, but I'm going gritty for this one.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually haven't seen either series. Even so, I think that I'll vote for The Maxx. Based on the opening, it sounds a lot more interesting than She-Ra does and the animation makes it look unique. She-Ra sounds pretty much like a female version of He-Man which seems pretty dull to me.

12. wonderfly

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

13. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

I'll vote for She-Ra.

14. wonderfly

The voting has ended for Match #14!

The Winner:

The Maxx!!

Onward, to the next match!

15. wonderfly

And now, the Next to Last match for Round #1 of the Tournament!

Match #15:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!

[video=youtube;WtZ-cz-3zqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WtZ-cz-3zqo[/video]

Versus:

16. wonderfly

Jackie Chan Adventures!!

[video=youtube;MztD-gooHjU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MztD-gooHjU[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

17. r0derix

r0derix Member

The first two seasons of Jackie Chan Adventures are some great stuff, but I'm going to vote for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The skrull arc alone was some great, great story telling.

18. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I liked Jackie Chan Adventures; I thought it was one of the most hilarious toons I've watched (at the time anyway) and having an all Asian cast is always a plus, but after season two, I grew weary of its tedium. By the time season three rolled, I realized "catch the number of mystical MacGuffins" really was all there would be to the show. Not that a standard formula is wrong by any means, but I couldn't handle it anymore and I slowly stopped watching. Also Jade Chan didn't get any less annoying. I'm also saddened Valmont - once an awesome, noteworthy rival to Jackie - had to be reduced to a two second cameo in the last season. He definitely fell from grace.

The Avengers cartoon has a tighter, better story structure with a great ensemble cast. I wished it had an extra season to answer some questions left behind, but overall, it was a fantastic show.

19. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Jackie Chan Adventures was fun, but I'm definitely going with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. One of the best Marvel cartoon out there and told some big stories with the promise of more to come, that sadly, was unrealized.

20. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Active Member

Second half of Season 2 aside, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was a great show. It gets my vote.