Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Spidey conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 10, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

This is the voting thread for Round 1 of the Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" tournament (for the "Spidey" conference - which will focus mostly on Marvel animated cartoons, among other oddities)!

Voting is simple: Just post which of the two contestants of the day you find to be more awesome! Please, no editing your posts, once your vote is cast, help simplify things for me and don't change it. So be sure you are certain which one you want to vote for when you post! Feel free to debate it amongst yourselves for a while before casting your votes, but remember: each match runs no more than 24 hours!

2. wonderfly

Match #1:

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends!

[video=youtube;98FJHaZXSoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=98FJHaZXSoY[/video]

Versus:

3. wonderfly

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 version)

[video=youtube;BvHq7lqkc30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BvHq7lqkc30[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

4. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

Easy choice. First of all, it's Spider-Man. Second, I love the amazing friends. I like that Peter got some friends for once that he didn't have to hide his powers from and they got along not just to fight crime but also in a normal way too.
    I've been fascinated by the ice super power. Of all the Batman villains it is Mr. Freeze that really caught my imagination. So Iceman, as a good guy using his ice powers in creative ways was super cooooool.
    Firestar, in my mind, showed exactly how fire powers should be used.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Going to have to go with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, since that was the show I watched as a kid. Never got into the Turtles until the latest Nickelodeon reboot, and the 2003 series was way too late for me to have picked up on 'em.

That said, I remember tuning in to a Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends re-run when I was an adult and being deeply appalled at how bad the show was.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

My vote is for TMNT 2003 by a mile. It ran for too long and its quality is inconsistent, but on its best day it was a highlight of action animation that compares well against other reboot attempts (including its contemporary He-Man 2k3, I have to say). Amazing Friends, on the other hand, does show its age in more ways than one.

7. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

I'll go for TMNT 2003 as well. I do like Amazing Friends, but TMNT was excellent when it was done correctly.

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

TMNT 2K3 by a long shot. It wasn't perfect and it definitely ran for too long, but it was well executed (save for Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers). Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends hasn't aged well, and what I saw of it wasn't that great to begin with.

9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

My vote goes to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. It's a fun show, with some likeable characters and plenty of guest-stars. The stories are entertaining enough and I think as a whole it's a pretty awesome series. Plus, it introduced Firestar.

I never really got into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (any version, to be honest though I do remember enjoying the 80s show when I was younger, and I've been meaning to give the current show a chance). I only watched very few of the 2003 series, but I don't remember being terribly impressed by it.

10. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

TMNT 2K3 is an easy choice for me too. During the early seasons it was one of the best shows around for me, but it started falling apart towards the end.

One of my favorite moments was the very first cold open of the show where The Purple Dragons have the turtles cornered in an alley with Leo describing the dire situation in narration and the Dragons making fun of them. The leader of the dragons eventually says "no one messes with the purple dragons, especially wearing stupid turtle costumes." And Leo says, in narration: "He's wrong. We're not wearing costumes." Right before the turtles start to fight, leading into the theme song. I just thought that was the best possible way to open a series ever.

It's too bad this show isn't on DVD.

11. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

4Kids 2003 TMNT - It's easily one of my top ten favorite cartoons of all time. It was exactly how I like my action cartoons. It was a little more serious, but could still be fun at the same time. It had a great continuity with enjoyable season story arcs. It was far superior to the original TMNT cartoon or the current Nickelodeon series. I think people are a little too hard on the Fast Forward episodes. While they weren't as good as the first five seasons, they were by no means bad episodes. The Back To The Sewer final season was very bland. I'm not really sorry that the show came to an end afterwards, given that the show had a very nice 7 season/150+ episode run.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I haven't watched too much of either, but I'll go for the 2003 TMNT series. Seems more my style.

13. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

I'm sorry but TMNT 2k3 flatout curbstomps Spidy and his amazing friends with its backgrounds fight scenes and characters

14. Gatordragon

Gatordragon This ain't no Kong!

I'm going with TMNT 2003. I grew up watching that show and I barely remember Spidey and Friends.

15. wonderfly

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

TMNT 2K3 wins by a wide mile for me. I remember watching most of the series on Cartoon Network's Miguzi block and I got really into it. The characters were fun, it had a strong group dynamic among the turtles, the action was terrific, Shredder was a really intimidating villain and it could get surprisingly dark, especially for a show that 4Kids made. Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers weren't as good as the other seasons, but they weren't terrible. It had a great run with a pretty satisfying conclusion and Turtles Forever was an even better note to end the series with. It's my favorite TMNT series at this point. I only watched a bit of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends back when Jetix was on ABC Family, but I couldn't get into it.

17. r0derix

r0derix New Member

TMNT 2K3, one of the most underrated recent action cartoons in recent memory. I would say airing on 4kids really hurt its popularity, but it did have 155 episodes.

18. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Going for TMNT 2k3. It aged better than Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends in my eyes.

19. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

TMNT 2k3. I still consider this cartoon the best TMNT Cartoon we'll ever get. I still can't believe we got a true to the original TMNT comics show out on aSaturday Morning slot.

20. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

Voting for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Childhood nostalgia yes, plus wasn't a big/regular viewer of any of the post-original series TMNT shows, I guess.