1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Bat conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 9, 2014.

1. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm giving this to Young Justice. No question about it!

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's definitely Young Justice.

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Young Justice for me. While I'm not as big of a fan of the show as others around here, I have to admit it was pretty amazing. The story-arcs were well planned and the characters for the most part were pretty great. I liked the first season more than the second, where I thought things were a little too unnecessarily over-complicated, but it was still good. It's too bad the show was cancelled though, since it looked like it still had plenty of potential for future story-lines. And the way it ended, pretty dramatic stuff.

I remember relatively little of Captain N: The Gamemaster; I 'm pretty sure I used to like it, but I haven't watched it in years.

4. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

Young Justice is among my top 10 favourite animated properties at the very least, and so it gets my vote... Plus, it had Nightwing in Invasion, so I'd give it two votes if I could :D

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Young Justice has so many disappointing aspects, but no matter how cool it was what Captain N managed to do (having all those video game characters in one show together was amazing to me as a little kid), it just can't top this show.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Captain N because of the princess and that one episode where Kid Icarus met his idol, Wombat Man. That was truly a classic episode with something meaningful to say about how you're really only as old as you feel. Also Captain N had a NES zapper, how cool was that?

.......yeah, no, Young Justice. Even though I wish there were more episodes, you know, the end of season 2 ends with this expansive team of young heroes growing up and coming into its own, whereas the entire story starts out with a small group of teen heroes rashly acting on the feeling of "hey, where's my respect?" For my money the road taken to get there runs through some of the best plotting in any action toon, period. Just about everything that happened in that show happened for a reason. Looking back, you can see just how well they thought it through.

One quip with Captain N...how do you draw on Metroid to make a big bad for this and not have Samus around? Then again, now I'm remembering how they wrote Simon Belmont and Mega Man (he sure was MEGA ready to say "Mega" huh? Get it? That's the MEGA joke!), so I guess they did her a favor.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Young Justice. Another show that was good enough that I feel OK voting for it even though I never saw Captain N.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the easiest match so far. Cheesy-80s cartoon vs one of the best written action cartoons of all time. Hmm. I'm going with Young Justice.

9. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I only saw like two episodes of Captain N (somehow I missed this one despite absorbing the Super Mario Super Show toons as a kid), so Young Justice wins by default. I'm fairly sure it would have won even if I did watched a lot of Captain N. Young Justice does overwhelm me with its extremely tight continuity (more so than I felt other story-driven shows like say, Avatar did), but it's good at what it does. They managed to balance the ensemble cast beautifully, the action scenes were fantastic, and the plot was gripping. Man, I wished this had a Season Three; the series finale ended on a tease that;ll never get solved!

10. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Young Justice wins this, no contest. Looking back though, season 2 felt like a step-down when it came to the writing of the show.

11. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Active Member

Young Justice. I wasn't quite as excited about it as most people here, but there was a lot of great stuff in that show and it didn't deserve to be cancelled.

12. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Young Justice is an easy call for me too. I didn't see too many episodes, but what I saw I liked. Everything about it seemed so well thought out. I hope I get a chance to watch the full series eventually.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Young Justice easily gets my vote. While I have my fair share of problems with it, the show had an engaging storyline, showcasing a lot of different DC heroes, the action was solid and I liked how the group of young superheroes had really become a strong team by the end of the series. Personally, I prefer the first season over the second season. The first season had a lot going on too, but it felt a bit more organized, there was a better amount of focus for the team and most of the characters felt pretty fleshed out. Season two's storyline was good and engaging, but they just tried to put way too much on their plate with all of the different subplots, introducing a bunch of new characters, most of which weren't even important or weren't fleshed out that much, and ending with a cliffhanger was a pretty bad decision. I probably would have liked that season more if it was a third season instead with a different season before it being used as buildup to that storyline and taking more time to introduce the new characters, instead of having them appear out of nowhere. It's still a good show, but I don't think it's that great either.

I've never seen Captain N, so Young Justice wins by default, despite my issues with the later.

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

15. Cookiefication

Cookiefication ¯\(º_o)/¯

PFFFFFFFFFFF

[​IMG]

.....Young Justice
    . I don't think I've ever been as excited for and captivated by an Western action cartoon series in my life (Korra season 1 is the probably the next closest thing).

As for Captain N, I've watched a few clips in the past just to see what it was. I quickly decided that they were all I'll ever need to see from that series.

16. wonderfly

The voting has ended for Match #16!

The Winner:

Young Justice!!

And that brings us to the end of Round #1 of Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets!" Look for a new thread for Round #2 to premier soon!

17. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I'm glad we get the opportunity now to discuss the results of the first round. It's unfortunate that Beast Wars had to go up against Batman: TAS in the first round. Beast Wars had the potential to, and deserved to, go deep into this tournament.

18. wonderfly

Hmm, I had meant for the main Tournament discussion thread (where I'm housing the current standings in the tournament) to be the place for people to discuss the results of voting (stuff like "My show didn't win!" or "I'm glad that show won the vote!", or "C'mon, people vote for my show next round!"), but I won't oppose if people want to discuss it here as well.

I don't want to sway votes, but as far as shows that have fallen out of the tournament, I will say yeah, "Beast Wars/Beast Machines" might've fared better if it went up against another opponent, but alas, that's the way the distribution of opponents went...also: I'm surprised more diehard Star Wars fans didn't show up in support of Gendy's Clone Wars (not saying it deserves to win, just that I'm surprised that were not more votes for it)...