1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Bat conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Dungeons and Dragons

It may be a nostalgic choice on my part since it's been so long since I've seen it. I'm a 1st level D&D fan with a gelatinous cube up my nose.
    I liked Static Shock. It was a decent cartoon but it's not one of my favorites.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Static Shock definitely gets my vote. It was a really fun show. I liked the characters, Virgil/Static himself was really likable, the action was pretty good, the different superpowers among the heroes and villains were pretty cool and it did have some good emotional moments, especially with the Christmas episode and the episode where Virgil goes back in time to see his mother. That song definitely made the whole episode sad for me as well. While it did seem to have way too many crossovers in retrospect, I think that the crossovers with the DCAU were pretty good. It was the crossovers with the celebrities, like with a member of the Backstreet Boys and that superpowered basketball team, that were really bad.

Plus, I have a lot of fun memories of watching it on Kids' WB, so it has a bit of nostalgic fondness for me. It was a good show with fun characters and had a pretty satisfying conclusion from what I remember. I'd love it if there was another Static series at some point, but that's pretty unlikely unfortunately.

I've never seen Dungeons and Dragons, so Static gets the vote by default anyway.

4. wonderfly

Disney aired it, possibly as part of Jetix. The D&D show had a lot of returns to TV - it originally aired on CBS from '83 to '86, was brought back for a few months in 1989 (on NBC), then it returned yet again in the summer of 2000 on Fox Kids, for a few months. And then finally, it aired as part of Jetix and/or Toon Disney, from around 2006 to 2008, if I recall right.

Totally agree about it being ahead of it's time, which I think contributed to it being brought back on the air so many times. And yes, if you can't tell, I was one of those die hard supporters who helped make the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon into a cult favorite back in the mid to late 90's online (there were a group of websites, and we vigorously traded VHS tape recordings of the show...those were the days).

As a bonus, here's the second season intro:

#244 wonderfly, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. wonderfly

The voting has ended for Match #13!

The Winner:

Static Shock!!

Onward, to the next match!

6. wonderfly

Match #14:

Star Wars: Clone Wars! (2003 - 2005)

Versus:

#246 wonderfly, Mar 25, 2014
  7. wonderfly

Superman!! (1940's movie serial version)

Who do you vote to win?!?

#247 wonderfly, Mar 25, 2014
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Superman, since I've see it. Want to see Star Wars, though.

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Superman. See this possibly going deep in future rounds.

10. Nobuyuki sama

Nobuyuki sama Simply Irresponsible

*Bud Collyer voice* "this looks like a vote... for Superman!"

11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really love both series, and each one had a pretty unique style which made it look even more amazing. I guess in the end I'll vote for Superman, given just how groundbreaking and influential these cartoons were, and I find myself re-watching them from time to time. The stories are fun, but the feel of the cartoons, coupled with the great animation and voice acting is what I think makes these Superman animated shorts feel so timeless.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: Clone Wars was lots of fun as well, and probably some of my favorite Star Wars-related stuff so far. I liked the art-style, and I thought it was a neat approach how it presented a longer story broken up into short segments, rather than be completely episodic as the aforementioned animated shorts. I'll still vote for Superman, though.

12. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Another close one, but I'll have to go with the Superman shorts.

13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

My vote goes to the Superman animated shorts.

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I love both of these, but we won't be intimidated by criminal threats. Superman gets my vote.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Unlucky matchup for Tartakovsky's Clone Wars shorts. They are really cool and everyone should have them, but Fleischer Superman is rightfully considered classic animation in the best sense. Official uploads for the shorts can still be seen here.

16. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do enjoy both, but I'm going to have to side with the majority and go with Flesicher's Superman shorts.

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Very, very tough break for the Tartakovsky Clone Wars shorts (which I love to death), but the Fleischer Superman shorts were so seminal in the development of the character and of American action animation in general that there's just no comparison. In a lot of ways, they still haven't really been topped, at least in terms of technical prowess. I thought they're one of the very few rotoscoped cartoons that looked really really good (as opposed to the weird uncanny valley effects you get sometimes), and the influence they had on the look and feel of BTAS 50 years later speaks for itself.

Guess I'll have to be happy that Sym-Bionic Titan managed to advance to round 2, since it would be sad if none of Genndy's action 'toons made it past round 1.

18. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I enjoyed what I saw of Genndy's Clone Wars, but (and I know I'm going to sound blasphemous) I don't give a lick about Star Wars. The Fleischer Superman for the win. I remember seeing it vividly as a child and boggling over the fluid animation and the pulp-like settings. Since GWOtaku linked an official place to watch 'em all, I think it's high time I revisit these little gems.

19. Cookiefication

Cookiefication ¯\(º_o)/¯

I actually discovered the Fleischer Superman shorts sometime last year and soon came to love them While some of the animation was rotoscoped, I'm sure that not all of it was, and what wasn't was also animated with great skill and fluidity. Don't even get me started on the background art! There were some gorgeous colors and fantastic use of lighting in those shorts.The eruption parts in Volcano come to mind. I also liked Superman's design. It was simple, appealing, and functional. The stories themselves are pretty simple compared to today's stuff, but are still fun to watch.

I haven't seen Genndy's Clone Wars in a long time, though. I was quite a bit younger, but I remember liking the shorts, certainly more than the more recent Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I definitely have to give to give it another watch again soon, this time with a new appreciation for Genndy's flair.

This was a tough one... But for now, Fleischer Superman gets my vote.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll vote for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. Despite how I also don't care for Star Wars at all, I thought the Clone Wars shorts were engaging with terrific animation, especially in the fight scenes. I do remember watching the Fleischer Superman shorts pretty frequently when I was little and the animation is really good for the time. I haven't seen any of them in years, which is why I didn't feel comfortable choosing it. If I was more familiar with the impact the shorts had, then maybe I would have voted for it, but I'll give a vote to Clone Wars.