Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Voting Thread (Bat conference) Round #1

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 9, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

This is the voting thread for Round 1 of the Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" tournament (for the "Bat" conference - which will focus mostly on DC animated cartoons, among other oddities)!

Voting is simple: Just post which of the two contestants of the day you find to be more awesome! Please, no editing your posts, once your vote is cast, help simplify things for me and don't change it. So be sure you are certain which one you want to vote for when you post! Feel free to debate it amongst yourselves for a while before casting your votes, but remember: each match runs no more than 24 hours!

2. wonderfly

Match #1:

Superfriends!!

[video=youtube;zhMr4hBwWGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zhMr4hBwWGw[/video]

Versus:

3. wonderfly

Thundarr the Barbarian!!

[video=youtube;SaB19auvjc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SaB19auvjc8[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

4. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Thundarr the Barbarian

It's hard to vote against the Superfriends, because they are so super and stuff, but Thundarr was a can't miss cartoon for me. Magic, mutants and sunswords!

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Thundarr, by a very big margin. Both of them might suffer from some clunky writing and sub-par animation (especially when compared with even the lesser modern cartoons on the air now), but I enjoyed Thundarr a whole lot more. They could sustain a full half-hour episode without needing to make anyone a complete idiot, the individual characters had more distinct personalities, and the show just generally showed so much more creativity.

I rambled more about Thundarr when I reviewed the complete series set, and I still hold out hope that someone picks up the pitch from Tad Stones that I linked to at the bottom of the review, or that the long-rumored DTV from Warner Bros. (which Stones hints at) comes to fruition.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah, this is the tipping point that makes me vote for Thundarr. There are Superfriends plots that are so silly and contrived that Batman 66 comes off better in comparison, while Thundarr was about as good for fantasy adventure as you could get in the context of the time. My kingdom for more "old school" stuff that was like this.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

My vote goes to Super Friends. It's camp, but fun camp, plus I'm not crazy about post-apocalyptic future settings.

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

My vote goes to Thundarr the Barbarian. A fun adventure/fantasy/sci-fi animated show with some pretty creative characters, designs and stories. It's not perfect, but as a whole I guess I find it more entertaining than the majority of Super Friends episodes.

I like the Super Friends as well, but I think some of the episodes haven't really aged that well. While I still find some episodes enjoyable, others are kind of hard to sit through.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I don't care that much for Superfriends, but I'm giving it my vote because I haven't seen the other show. :p

10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Two strong contenders duking it out in the first round?

Sorry, Thundarr, but my vote goes to Superfriends, a show that would introduce many to the world of DC Comics (and many memorable heroes and villains).

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'll go with Thundarr the Barbarian. I remember watching this pretty often back when it aired on Cartoon Network. I haven't seen it in years, but just watching the intro made me feel so nostalgic. I do remember it being pretty good sci-fi/fantasy for the time it was made, so that's another point in its favor. I think that I watched Superfriends around that time too, but not as often and it wasn't the show that got me into superheroes.

12. wonderfly

Just a reminder: You have around 2 hours left to vote!

13. r0derix

r0derix New Member

Voting for Superfriends, probably purely for nostalgia and not logic.

14. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Two shows I haven't seen nor care about? Time to flip the coin. It's heads, so Superfriends.

15. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

I've seen/grew up with both shows, but voting Superfriends easily. One of my introductions to Superman/the DC pantheon.

16. wonderfly

Voting has ended for Match #1! And holy cow, right out of the gate, we've got a show rallying at that last minute to win!!

The Winner (by a narrow margin):

Superfriends!!

Onward, to the next match!

17. wonderfly

Match #2:

Superman the Animated Series!

[video=youtube;p6gyTq-k5ng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p6gyTq-k5ng[/video]

Versus:

18. wonderfly

Aeon Flux (both the shorts from Liquid Television and the full series)

[video=youtube;7UQyPXbjL-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7UQyPXbjL-A[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

My vote goes to Superman TAS. It's a great show, which I think did a pretty amazing job at depicting Superman, most of his supporting cast and his rogues gallery. Brainiac, for example, got a new origin and I'd say he became much more interesting than he was in the comics by that point. Plus, can't forget Darkseid and his great story-arc spread throughout the show's run which had some pretty intense moments.

I only watched a little of Aeon Flux, and to be perfectly honest I couldn't understand anything of what was going on. It seemed a little too bizarre - I like some science-fiction stuff, but this one I guess was just too much for me.

20. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

I'm voting for Superman: The Animated Series. Still holds up well, and the best Superman show yet.