1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Toonami 20th Anniversary Edition!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

With 2017, we have now reached 20 years of Toonami!!
    To celebrate, we're going to have:

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament (2017 edition!):
    Battle of the Toonami shows!!

Welcome to the 4th Annual Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event! Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic Toonami shows against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

For the 1st year's main tournament thread, click here. (Theme: American Action Cartoons)
    For the 1st year's tournament results, click here.
    For the 2nd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Animated Action Movies)
    For the 2nd year's tournament results, click here.
    For last year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Adult Swim 15th Year Anniversary)
    For last year's tournament results, click here.

How it works:

The tournament is broken up into 2 conferences, which I will call "The Dragon Conference" and "The Giant Robot Conference".

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the Dragon conference, and one for the Giant Robot conference. I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.

For current tournament standings, click here.

"So what's eligible to appear in the tournament, and what's not?"

1. The focus is primarily on shows that aired from the original Toonami run from 1997 to 2008. Many of the shows from the 2012 (to present) rebirth were featured in last year's "Adult Swim 15 year anniversary" tournament, and so most of those won't be included, though there will be a select number of shows from the last 3 or 4 years that will be included here. But no shows that started within the last 12 months or less (Sorry, no "Dragon Ball Super" or "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure", as it's too soon to form an opinion on them, as far as how they compare to other shows in the history of Toonami).

2. No shows that aired online only, on "Toonami Reactor" or "Toonami Jetstream" (sorry, no "Starblazers" or "Record of the Lodoss War").

Some of the more noteworthy franchises will be broken up, allowing for votes for the individual shows (Gundam, Dragon Ball, Naruto) but other shows will just represent their entire franchise (A vote for "Transformers: Armada" includes voting for "Transformers: Energon" and "Transformers: Cybertron", and "Zoids" is a vote for all Zoids series).

But beyond that, is there a show you feel that was overlooked? Drop a line here, maybe that show will get in as a "Bonus" addition later on in the tournament!

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Round #1 of the Dragon Conference!
    Round #1 of the Giant Robot Conference!

#1 wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Cool that you're doing this again.

A few things to note:
    1. It says no Kids WB shows, but they're still listed in the tournament. Which I'm cool with. If Batman TAS and Superman TAS are here Beyond should be too.

2. Ben 10 Alien Force is listed twice.

3. Why include Shippuden but not HxH or Dragon Ball Super?

4. Lastly, even though they were in the tournament last year, I think you should include some of the 2012 shows and on. I think they'd make better choices than some of the stuff on here. But, that's just personal preference. But, they have just as much of a place in Toonami's history as some of the other shows here. If not more in some cases.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's that time of year again. Sweet. These tournaments are always pretty fun and I get to think back to shows I've watched before and look into some new stuff.

I can understand wanting to focus on the show's from the block's original run, but I also think that including some of the shows they've aired during the revival period would be fair too. Not including shows that are still running new episodes is reasonable, but I think including some shows that have finished their run would be nice. The Adult Swim era is still part of Toonami's history and I think that should be included to some extent. Maybe including some shows in bonus rounds with a couple of shows possibly being included in the main tournament at some point could be possible. Or if it would be easier, just having the bonus rounds featuring Adult Swim era shows without trying to work them into the tournament would be fine too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wonderfly

That's because what you read was the initial "rough draft" which I accidentally didn't update. :oops: The correct version should now be listed in the first post above. "Batman Beyond" is in the tournament.

My goal first and foremost was to include "Pure Toonami broadcast" material (no "online reactor" stuff, no "Adult Swim Action" leftovers, like "Bleach"), but the Kids WB material was an important part of the block from 2000-2004, so I decided to include it.

Thanks. It's now corrected.

Shippuden's been on the air in America (on one channel or another) since 2009, I think? HxH and Dragon Ball Super (and JoJo) have been on the air less than a year, and are still unfolding. Hard for American viewers to form an honest opinion of them, just yet. But I might consider adding them for the Bonus round this year.

Well, even with 64 slots in the tournament, there's still not enough room for everyone. Stuff like "Eureka Seven" and "Casshern Sins" got a chance to play last year, in the "Adult Swim" tournament, and I'd rather let in newcomers like "One Punch Man" and "Kill La Kill". But still, look to the Bonus threads, and everyone feel free to chime in with what you feel was overlooked!

#4 wonderfly, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. StorytellerMJ5

I understand that not everything can be in the tournament, but I just think that some stuff that was in last year deserves to be here more than stuff like D.I.C.E. or Storm Hawks.

But, I'd say Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Space Dandy and Attack on Titan deserve to be here.

6. wonderfly

"Cowboy Bebop", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Bleach", and "Inuyasha" (and maybe some others) are more closely linked to Adult Swim, compared to Toonami, and so I'm not going to include them in the tournament this year. Some others that you mention, well...we shall see what's in the Bonus Rounds.

I need some opinions though:

For space reasons, I've lumped all of "Transformers: Energon/Cybertron" in with Transformers: Armada. I'm also lumping the two Zoids TV shows together.

But I was also going to lump in "The 08th MS Team" and "Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket" in with the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" in the tournament. But would those 2 extra series be worth separating into a Bonus Match? I mean, they're all "Gundam Universal Century" storylines, so they're all in the same universe...just wondered if people considered them together, or separate?

Are they 1.) Distinctive enough and 2.) Popular enough to warrant a Bonus Match?

7. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I'm glad I found this out now as opposed to later. I feel like I knew it was coming a bit ago but then just 'forgot' - and the fun part, is after voting for today's, I wait an extra day :p

I'll just assume the losers faint like Pokémon do after being defeated in battle. They then get Pokémon Center treatment ... "Hellloooooo nurse!" ... then train and prepare for the next time they're involved in a tournament.

In addition to this being like a NCAA style, numerous of these series involve traveling which I'm pretty sure is not allowed when playing b-ball, surprised numerous of these series aren't already penalized because of that ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. StorytellerMJ5

I understand what you're saying about those shows connecting to AS more, but you included Beast Wars, which has a very little connection to Toonami IMO. It just kind of seems like you favored old school Toonami over the AS era even though a lot of those shows were in your very first tournament. But, its your tournament. I still want to see Space Dandy in the bonus round though.;)

As for Gundam, I guess I'd say to separate them if you really want them in the bonus round. But, I'd prefer if you didn't because I don't think we need more Gundam clogging up the tournament. They don't seem to be doing too well outside of IBO. But once again, it's your tournament.

9. wonderfly

Well, yeah. Because of historical importance to the Toonami block (granted, my sense of what's important in Toonami history may be a bit skewed). And even if some of these choices were in the first tournament from 3 years ago, much of what you're advocating for (like Space Dandy) was in last year's tournament.

But stay tuned, I've got more "extras" planned.

That is perhaps what's been most surprising, but the first round of the tournament's not over yet, and there's still some other Gundam series to come.

I'll stick with my initial judgement to just attach "08th MS Team" and "Gundam 0080" to the original "Mobile Suit Gundam", I just wondered if anyone considers them separate and distinct enough from the original show to warrant handling them a different way.

10. wonderfly

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present unto you the "Sweet Sixteen" of Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets", celebrating the 20th anniversary of Toonami!!

In the Dragon Conference:

One Punch Man
    Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
    Dragon Ball Z
    Naruto
    Zatch Bell!
    Batman Beyond
    Teen Titans
    Dragon Ball

Here's the link to join in the voting for the Dragon Conference!

In the Giant Robot Conference:

Superman: The Animated Series
    The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
    Megas XLR
    Star Wars: Clone Wars
    The Big O
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    Outlaw Star

Here's the link to join in the voting for the Giant Robot Conference!