1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Round #1 Voting thread (Giant Robot Conference)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Johnny Quest! It brought that old property into the modern era. I wish more toons went the adventure story route the way that one did.

2. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

I'll go with Ben 10: Alien Force. I really liked the aspect that Ben was more mature the first two seasons. Meanwhile, I haven't watched Johnny Quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it really holds up that well at all, especially in comparison to the original, but I'll let nostalgia get the better of me and vote for The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest. Primarily since I associate Alien Force with the awkward end of Toonami back in 2008.

Not the show in particular, but repeats of it were among its last lineup, which aside from Samurai Jack returning, I consider pretty underwhelming and sad, as well as giving me not-great memories of one of my favorite blocks in its prime. Plus, I'm just not a fan of the Ben 10 franchise. :p

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to vote for The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. I'm not sure how well it holds up overall, but I remember liking it. I thought it was a cool way of updating an older property without making it feel extremely dated, aside from the use of CGI at least, and even the promo had a bit of nostalgic charm for me. I usually had fun watching the episodes whenever I watched the series.

I liked the first two seasons of Alien Force. Ben actually felt like he did get older and I thought that the more serious tone generally worked for the series. Then the last season became so awful, I didn't care for Ultimate Alien all that much and Omniverse had a similar problem where it started off good and turned lousy by the end. It's kind of hard to me look back at Alien Force with much fondness after the other series. Plus, in terms of Toonami itself, they did have Alien Force reruns after the block was cut in half. I think that the only premieres they had at that point were for Naruto. That was a pretty clear indication that the block was on life support by that point, so it doesn't have the best association with the block either.

5. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I guess I'll go with Ben 10: Alien Force.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

I pretty solid victory here...

The Winner:

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest!

We will now take a one day break before the next match!

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Let the games resume!

Match #5:

Thundercats! (80's version)

Versus:

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Blue Submarine No. 6!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't care much for Blue Submarine No. 6, so my vote goes to the Thundercats, even if I haven't seen much from the original show.

10. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Last time I tried I couldn't even get through the first episode of Thundercats. So, Blue Submarine No. 6 for me.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Thundercats, it is another show that manages to be very well in the action department I like how fun it was.

12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Stalemated

13. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Blue Submarine No. 6 for me. The old Thundercats never appealed to me.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't say that it's still among my favorites, but I did enjoy the original Thundercats as a kid, and it felt like probably the only 80's classic to fit in with the block, so I'll side with that.

Additionally, I've never been able to watch Blue Submarine No. 6 all the way through. It's like a sleeping pill for me.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well I guess I'll go with the original Thundercats. I only barely remember watching a bit of it and the clearest memory I have of it was the ending credits, but that's still more than what I've seen of Blue Submarine No. 6. I never saw it on the block and I didn't hear about it until a couple of years ago. Based on the promo and what I've heard of it, it doesn't sound like it would be my cup of tea anyway.

16. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Wait, what's Blue Submarine No. 6 about?

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

A submarine. And monsters. ;)

Sorry, but I never watched it. It was one of Toonami's first experiments ("let's toss this anime out, see what people think").

That's about how I saw it - one of the 80's action cartoons that actually works on Toonami. GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers were a little too high profile, He-Man was a tiny bit too cheesy, but Thundercats and Voltron were perfect fits for the block.

18. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

A somewhat close match, but in the end...

The Winner:

Thundercats!

Onward, to the next match!

19. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Match #6:

Transformers: Beast Wars!

Versus:

20. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans!!

Who do you vote to win?!?