1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Round #1 Voting thread (Giant Robot Conference)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, okay...consider me shocked. "Gundam Wing" is the anime Toonami chose to launch what many consider the Golden Age of Toonami. It was March of the year 2000, they had "Tom" Version 1, the weeknight Midnight Run was starting up, and it was time to leave the 80's reruns (like G-Force) behind! The anime boom was just starting up, and they needed fresh material! Not just fresh episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon (which had been syndicated before moving to Toonami), no, it was time for Toonami to take the leap of faith and introduce their own hit anime! And "Gundam Wing" was the start of that.

I wonder, with the voting here - is it just that there were arguably better Gundam series later on, or that the forums here have loyal "DC Animated Universe" fans? I guess the next few rounds of voting will reveal...

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

It (again) appears to be unanimous!

The Winner:

Superman!

Onward, to the next match!

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Match #3:

Transformers: Armada!

Versus:

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

SD Gundam!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Transformers those bots always were the awesome bots of surprise.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Haven't seen much of either show, but I'll vote for Transformers: Armada.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy I should really change my avatar...
    Staff Member Moderator

Armada by default.

And @wonderfly I think almost everyone who has seen it loves Gundam Wing. It was just bad luck that it went up against, IMO, one of the best superhero cartoons ever made. But I don't think it's a testament that people dislike Wing or anything.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I also just think it was in a tough match-up. There aren't a lot of anime series that I could have seen beating Superman. It doesn't necessarily mean people don't like Gundam Wing. I can't speak on the quality of that or a lot of other series in the franchise, but Wing does seem to be pretty popular and I don't losing in the previous round means that people dislike it now.

Anyway, I'll vote for Transformers Armada. I remember watching it and most of the other Transformers anime series that aired on Toonami. It was fun to watch for the heck of it, although I remember being confused with the continuity for the other series following it. I never saw SD Gundam, but it looks and sounds pretty bad.

9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Stalemated

I'll cast my vote for Transformers Armada.

Takara and Hasbro were never fully in agreement over whether Armada, Energon, and Cybertron were in the same continuity or whether they were separate shows.

10. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Armada.

As for Gundam Wing, it probably would have advanced far if it hadn't faced Superman in the first round. In tournament words, it was like a 1 vs a 2 or 3 seed in the first round. Which never happens.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, that would explain a lot. No wonder I was confused when I watched the sequel series. I remember seeing the main three human kids from Armada make a couple of guest appearances in at least Energon, but I was still confused over some of the Transformers appearing despite what happened in Armada. I only vaguely remember Energon and Cybertron, so that doesn't help in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about that, if only because I personally don't think that Wing holds up at all, and I've seen others share that sentiment. I was definitely a fan when it was first on Toonami, but I don't really care for any of the characters nor the story now.

That said, if S:TAS was against the original Gundam, that would be a much tougher call for me.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I was never that into anime Transformers, but SD Gundam really left no mark for me. Nothing wrong with it, not all that memorable to me either. So, Transformers Armada.

As for Gundam Wing, it'll be interesting to revisit when the retelling manga Glory of Losers comes along and it's out on Blu-ray. It indulges in some conceits, but actually I think there's still plenty to like even if what it wanted to say was a bit beyond its grasp at times. Critics often liked to talk as if it's this power fantasy of Gary Stus stomping all comers, but actually much of the story is about underdogs fighting the power and the Wing boys trying to find their way and their place in the world against the backdrop of global chaos. You don't even need to buy into the pacifism rhetoric of the show to find that angle worthwhile.

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

I just remember the days when people would discuss who the best character is on "Gundam Wing", and because it was the first Gundam series to air on Toonami, "Mobile Suit Gundam" was looked down upon, for a while (or so it seemed, to me)...because it supposedly wasn't as "cool" as Gundam Wing. o_O

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

It (AGAIN) appears to be unanimous!

The Winner:

Transformers: Armada!

Onward, to the next match!

16. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Match #4:

Ben 10: Alien Force!

Versus:

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

18. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Tough call but I will go for Ben 10 Alien force, I really like the show and it was awesome follow up to Ben 10.

19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I never really got into any of the Ben 10 series, while I'm a pretty big fan of the Jonny Quest shows (maybe except for the 80s version). My vote goes to The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest. I have some nice memories of watching the show like two decades ago.

20. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest