1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Round #1 Voting thread (Dragon conference)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jackie Chan Adventures is still pretty fun too, but even I can't deny the importance of DBZ, even if most of the anime doesn't hold up that much.

2. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I love both, probably DBZ a little more, but I think DBZ will win, so I'm gonna vote for Jackie Chan Adventures.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Dragon Ball Z since it managed to do a lot during its big run.

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Adventurer

Dragon Ball Z gets my vote, Jackie Chan Adventures is still a great action cartoon.

5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Jackie I love you but my vote goes to DBZ

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

6. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I like Jackie alright, but Dragon Ball Z is my vote. I mean, this is the Dragon Conference...

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey, Jackie Chan Adventures has Dragons! ;)

[​IMG]

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Adventurer

Well, demon dragons...

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Dragon Ball Z, which still has one of my favorite casts of characters in any anime.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll vote for Jackie Chan Adventures. While I associate it with Kids' WB more so than with Toonami, it was a pretty fun action show. Granted, I do think that the last two seasons were kind of weak, but I'd still tune into it for fun whenever it was on. Even seeing the clips in the promo felt nice and nostalgic. Oddly enough, I was just thinking about the series earlier this afternoon.

Despite its importance, I don't think I saw much of the original DBZ back in the day. I think I saw some bits here and there and I remember my older brother recorded the episode where Freeiza kills Vegeta in Japanese, although I forget how we were able to get a channel that played anime in its original version, but that was about my exposure prior to DBZ Kai. It does have a big impact on the block and anime in general, but it was never my cup of tea. Getting to see more of the series though DBZ Kai, I can easily see why it became such a hit back in the day, but I still think it's generally okay with some good character moments here and there.

11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

We're talking about non-Kai DBZ, right? Hmm, I think I'll go with Jackie Chan Adventures since it never really dragged its heels.

12. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Originally, for the purposes of the tournament, I considered "DBZ-Kai" the same as the original DBZ. I mean, I always just considered "Kai" a shorter condensed version.

But now I'm thinking of having "Kai" as a bonus contender in the upcoming "bonus round" thread. So yeah, the focus here is on the original "DBZ", as aired on Toonami.

Unlike some of the other contenders in the tournament, there were several promo/intros for DBZ throughout the years, so I'm just picking out some of my favorites. The promo above is from "Season 4", which is about where I started tuning in to DBZ on Toonami (before that, I was actually content to just buy the VHS tapes and watch it that way). So the "Season 4" intro was kind of my full fledged Toonami immersion into DBZ, and it's a favorite of mine. :)

13. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

It wasn't a complete blowout, but in the end...

The Winner:

Dragon Ball Z!

Onward, to the next match!

#73 wonderfly, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  14. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Match #6:

Duel Masters!

Versus:

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

16. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Weird match up, but I think I'll go with Duel Masters.

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm voting for Duel Masters even though I haven't seen much of it. I never really got into Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo.

18. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Bobobobobo (how ever many times do I have to put them many bo's) is my pick, I found it really funny.

19. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'no, I'm not sure where to go here. I remember enjoying Duel Masters' spoofing of toyetic anime, which aired on Toonami when I was at an age when I could really appreciate this kind of satire, despite being a fan myself. But I'm not sure how much of it would hold up to me today, since dubs like that tend to be hit or miss for me.

But on the other side, I sat Bobobo out during its initial run, since it didn't look to my taste. Seeing some of it now, sometimes the show's a little too out there, but I do admire its refusal to follow any sort of storytelling conventions. I respect it, but I don't feel too strongly to pick it against something that I could potentially enjoy as much, if not more.

So I think that I'll sit this one out, but depending on what wins, I might check some more of either out in preparation for the next match.

20. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Bobobobo

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk