1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Round #1 Voting thread (Dragon conference)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

One Punch Man. No contest.

Pokémon was a blight on Toonami--bad-tasting reminders from the Kellner era that we didn't want to remember.

2. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I'm going for One Punch Man. Pokemon Chronicles wasn't the best of the series, nor did it feel like it should have been on Toonami.

3. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I like Chronicles, but I love One Punch Man.

So, One Punch Man.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I admire Chronicles for showcasing characters who weren't called Ash or Pikachu, but One-Punch Man may be one of the best Shonen Jump anime of all time. Clear winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Death Controller

He only needs one punch to end it, so One Punch Man.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, this match up makes me just laugh. I wouldn't have expected that given how the shows are totally different from each other.

While the outcome for this round is pretty obvious, I'm going to vote for Pokemon Chronicles. It wasn't the best thing that has come out of the anime and the dub quality is more along 4Kids' One Piece than their usual work for Pokemon, but I liked it. It was a cool idea to have specials featuring Ash's friends and minor characters. I kind of wish that they did this more often. They do tend to give the previous traveling companions at least one special during a new series, but I feel like they could do that more often. I'd love to see what May and Dawn are doing for example. As much as people complained about Misty being replaced back in the day, she got quite a few specials centering around her new role as a Gym Leader. That provided a bit more closure than just seeing them go off to work towards their dream and if we saw more of that for all of the other characters working towards their own goals, I think that would make a lot of fans happy. I do remember liking most of the specials in Chronicles. There were a few that I thought were weak or too silly, mainly due to the dialogue, but it was fun to see some more adventures in the Pokemon world beyond just what Ash and his friends see and do.

I do remember people complaining about Chronicles and a few other shows being on Toonami back them. I can understand feeling that it shouldn't have been on Toonami, especially compared to the shows they usually had, but that never bothered me. It helped that I wasn't really huge into Toonami when the block was at its prime and of course, I love Pokemon. I watch the show almost every day. There's honestly not a whole lot of the Pokemon anime that I don't enjoy to at least some extent. There is some stuff that I don't like, but Chronicles wouldn't be one of them. Plus, just watching the promo made me feel nostalgic, so that was nice.

I like One Punch Man and I'm sure it will move ahead, but I wanted to give a vote for Pokemon Chronicles. I still feel like it was more entertaining before the Hero Association stuff took center focus. It was necessary for world building and providing some sense of conflict when the main character could literally defeat his opponents with one punch, but it felt like it was played too straight for my tastes. Although, I think it was because I thought it was going to be a comedy series with some good action pieces thrown in rather than the other way around. Still, it was pretty enjoyable and one of the best shows for the Adult Swim era of the block.

7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that I'll also give a vote to One Punch Man.

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, Toonami also aired "Pokemon: Battle Frontiers" (which I really think is just "Season 7" of Pokemon, or something like that). And I considered that show to be "the adventures of Ash Ketchum", which is more "Kids WB" then Toonami material, in my mind...

And so with limited slots to fill in the tournament, I chose "Pokemon Chronicles" as the Pokemon series to include here. But it's a tall order for the series to stand up to "One Punch Man"...

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

It appears to be a pretty solid knock out blow, this round...

The Winner:

One Punch Man!

Onward, to the next match!

10. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Match #3:

Kill La Kill!

Versus:

11. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Yu Yu Hakusho!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

YYH, KLK just irritates me, while this one was more better in comparison.

13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Never watched Kill La Kill, so my vote goes to Yu Yu Hakusho, a show I have watched and really enjoyed.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yu Yu Hakusho. Despite having some friends who are really into it, KLK is not my thing.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I think KLK is fun, but YuYu Hakusho is just a very cool 90s Shonen. It also may be the only long-running Shonen that had no filler, which is very impressive.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot that Toonami aired the Battle Frontier season. I thought that it only aired on Miguzi. I think that was season nine instead of season seven though.

Anyway, I'm going to vote for Yu Yu Hakusho. Even though I haven't seen it yet, it sounds interesting and I've heard nothing but praise for it for years. I'm not sure if I ever saw clips of it on Toonami either. I saw the first three episodes of Kill La Kill and I loathed it. It had the crazy energy of Gurren Lagann pushed up to level but with none of the heart that series had with its story and characters. I know that some people like it and that's fine, but I just couldn't get into it. I still should have dropped it at the beginning of the second episode given the "joke" they had with the unconscious teenage female lead and the perverted grown man. Most of the defenses for the show's fanservice also don't tend to work for me, especially when the show is not equal opportunity with both male and female characters. There is male fanservice in the episodes I saw, but it was ten percent at best compared to the focus on the female characters.

It was awful and easily one of the worst shows Toonami has picked up in my book. I try to avoid voting for shows that I haven't even seen yet, but there are some shows that I would just refuse to vote for and this is one of those cases.

17. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Never seen YYH, and I think Kill la Kill is decent enough, so it gets my vote.

I'd probably like YYH, since I like HxH.

18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Death Controller

I'm gonna vote Yu Yu Hakusho because I've seen it and remember liking it.

19. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Check out Hunter Hunter, I also vote Yu Yu Hakusho

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow, this is......one sided.

Kill la Kill is a lot more than it seems on the surface, and what it pulled with Satsuki's machinations and ultimate character arc was genius. But I guess I'd have to go with Yu Yu Hakusho too, as for my money it was & is the best shonen anime to ever run on TV. Lots of these have lots in common, but Yu Yu Hakusho had:
    • A non-bloated, thoroughly likable cast
    • Lots of episodes without feeling too long
    • Battles that were usually resolved within 2 episodes (no DBZ-esque padding!)
    • A storyline that was actually, 1st and foremost, about the road to maturity for Yusuke and company. As early as the business with Toguro and the Dark Tournament, the show was being loud and clear about being the strongest or the best whatever NOT being the ultimate good. Strength was just a means to protect what was really important. The show really delivered on themes in addition to action, in a way rivaled only by Rurouni Kenshin.