1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" FINAL MATCH Voting thread! (Dragon Ball Z vs. Superman!)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

This is the voting thread for THE FINAL MATCH of the Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" tournament!

We've crowned the winner of the Dragon Conference! We've crowned the winner of the Giant Robot Conference! So now, it's time for the main event!!

Voting is simple: Just post which of the two contestants you find to be more awesome! Please, no editing your posts, once your vote is cast, help simplify things for me and don't change it. So be sure you are certain which one you want to vote for when you post! You have 48 hours to cast your votes!

2. wonderfly

THE TOONAMI 20TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND FINALE MATCH:

Superman: The Animated Series!

Versus:

3. wonderfly

Dragon Ball Z!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

4. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

So it's all down to this, huh? Good ol' Superman vs. Goku.

Well, if we were talking about the characters themselves or their legacies or franchises, that would probably be a totally different story. But, as it is, we're only talking about the shows Dragon Ball Z and Superman: The Animated Series.

And with that in mind, my vote goes to Dragon Ball Z.

I don't know. Maybe Superman is objectively the better show, but again, I'm voting with my heart and my personal attachment to the series. Superman is a great show and all, but I actually didn't watch it for the first time until a few years ago. And while it is great and even has some powerful moments, I can't say I have a deep personal attachment to it.

Dragon Ball Z on the other hand, despite its faults, was a huge part of my childhood and I guess my life in general. It was my gateway to action anime and opened up a whole new world to me. And all the memories I have of it and all the years I spent watching it, waiting to see what would happen next, well...it's just something that goes beyond even the mere quality of the show.

So uh, yeah...DBZ

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Definitely DBZ. I will admit it does suffer from filler heavily but it is one of Toonami's stronger shows.

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I love both shows, but I think I'll side with Superman this time.

8. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it's come to DC vs Shueisha. Super hero vs shonen adventure. Comics vs manga.I feel like that's always been one of Toonami's most important factors, that they've been able to combine both eastern and western so effortlessly. Granted, if I was to pick the best representation from either side quality-wise, it would be Batman: TAS vs Yu Yu Hakusho, but hey, I was responsible for voting the former out of here.

Between these two, as important as DBZ is to the block, I think that I'll give one last vote to Superman. I've never been a huge DC fan, and as much as I've tried to rectify that in the years since, Supes still isn't one of my favorites. I've found some stories that I've really liked of his, like All Star, but I'd rather just find a particular Marvel run or go back to Image otherwise.

But S:TAS has always ringed as underrated to me. Like in Timm and co's previous effort, the voice acting on the series was pitch-perfect, while the show was finding a stronger, less bulky character design than B:TAS. Additionally, they found the right color tone to match Superman's more hopeful and occasionally campy adventures, which I feel contrast perfectly with Batman's dark deco. And I admire how true it stays to the comics, giving us a terrific Mr. Mxyzptlk one episode, with a threatening and competent Luthor the next, and then possibly follow that up with a crossover between another DC hero. It's a little more varied than villain of the week, and even that it did well. And don't get me started on the show's take on the New Gods.

To be fair, if you asked me this 15 years ago, right around the peak of Toonami and my dedication, I would have picked DBZ in a heartbeat. I would have also said to pick Batman over Superman, and then it would have been a tough battle. But when I think about it now, the better show should win, and as much as it pains me, I try to keep DBZ as much of a memory if possible. I can get behind the original Dragon Ball and the action, but the anime's just a mess. This one goes to Kal-El.

9. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

There is a part of me that wants to vote for DBZ. Despite my numerous problems with the anime as an adaptation, I do have a particularly strong nostalgic attachment to the series. I will always prefer reading the manga, but for what it is, the high points of the anime still have a big emotional resonance with me. On the other hand, part of me wants to vote for Superman, which wasn't nearly my favorite DCAU show, but definitely had a good run with some truly memorable episodes.

So, we have DBZ, a show with higher highs and lower lows, versus STAS, a show that doesn't quite reach the same emotional impact with me, but is undeniably more consistent in its level of quality.

Well, I know that it's a cop out, but I'll need a bit more time to think this one over before I cast my vote.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Dragon Ball Z for me, but I do love S:TAS, and I'd be happy if it won this tourney, since I feel it was always overshadowed by Batman: TAS.

11. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Dragon Ball Z for me. I've honestly never been a huge fan of Superman (I like Batman a lot more honestly), and Dragon Ball Z is one of my favorite anime of all time.

12. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

I honestly think Superman: The Animated Series is better then Batman: The Animated Series but even so, I'll vote Dragon Ball Z.

13. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

After some deliberation, I think I'll go with DBZ, on the basis that neither of these shows would really be my choice for #1, but I definitely have a stronger attachment to DBZ than to STAS, which as I said the latter of which is a better and more consistent quality series, but DBZ ultimately had a bigger impact on my life and interest in anime and manga.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I figured that DBZ would end up in the finals, but I didn't think that it would come down between it and Superman. It's almost kind of ironic given how many videos there are about who would win in a Goku vs. Superman battle. It is rather fitting the two shows would be an anime and western series. While Toonami is more known for its anime and still primarily airs anime titles, it has been an action block with an attempt to have different action shows instead of just one or the other.

Anyway, I'm going to vote for Superman. I really enjoyed the series back in the day. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among my favorite DCAU shows, but I liked it. It had good action, characters and some really powerful moments, such as when they actually killed off one of the police officer supporting characters and the finale itself was pretty intense. I do associate it more with Kids' WB than with Toonami, but I'm pretty sure I watched it on both blocks anyway.

DBZ is easily the block's most popular show and I can see why it would be so appealing based on the Kai version. I don't think it would have clicked with me if I had seen more of it back in the day, but I can at least see why it did happen for other people. It does have good action and some nice character moments too. Even so, I have a stronger attachment to Superman: The Animated Series than DBZ, as well as more familiarity with it, so that gives it a strong edge in my book.

15. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Really tough, but I'm going with Superman.

16. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Dragon Ball Z for me, but if Superman somehow pulls back, it'll be super for it!

17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Superman for me!

18. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

Dragon Ball Z

19. wonderfly

I think I've given more than enough time for votes (3 days, instead of 2, as I originally said)...

A close match, but in the end...

The Winner:

Dragon Ball Z!!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the tournament this year! I look forward to next year's tournament!

20. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Pretty fun tournament, but I probably preferred the one from last year more. Just because I've probably seen more of those shows than these. And because I have more of a connection to Adult Swim Toonami than Cartoon Network Toonami.

@wonderfly any ideas on what you might want to do for next year's tournament? I think it'd be cool if you did something fully comedy focused. Besides half of last year's it's been mostly action stuff.

Or maybe something Disney.