Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets": FINAL MATCH!! "Batman: The Animated Series" vs. "Avatar: The La

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Apr 17, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

[​IMG]

This is it, folks - the grand finale of Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets", the winner of the "Bat" conference" versus the winner of the "Spidey" conference - winner take all!

Two legendary shows, both are winners in their own respective divisions, but now, there can be only one grand winner!!

A reminder:

Voting is simple: Just post which of the two contestants of the day you find to be more awesome! Please, no editing your posts, once your vote is cast, help simplify things for me and don't change it. So be sure you are certain which one you want to vote for when you post! Feel free to debate it amongst yourselves for a while before casting your votes, but remember: each match runs no more than 24 hours!

2. wonderfly

The Winner of the "Bat" conference:

Batman: The Animated Series!

[video=youtube;oQVC2zCC5qA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oQVC2zCC5qA[/video]

Versus:

3. wonderfly

The Winner of the Spidey conference:

[video=youtube;szKZ0keja-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=szKZ0keja-g[/video]

Who do you vote to win?!?

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

My vote's going to Avatar: The Last Airbender.
    I've never been a huge fan of Batman, nor this series. I mean, it's a pretty good show, but Avatar kept me glued to the TV for every new episode. Plus I love the characters, the world, the story. It's just one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I'm voting for Batman: The Animated Series. Even a 'bad' episode wasn't so bad when we still had a mesmerising art-deco depiction of Gotham, the first-rate music of Shirley Walker and her team of composers, and the unsurpassable voice talents of Kevin Conroy, Erfrem Zimbalist Jr., Bob Hastings etc. who were perfectly suited to their roles. Even episodes with clunky animation and weak stories didn't lack those qualities, which shouldn't be taken for granted. Most of the characters were extremely well-defined by the series's stellar writing, even if there were some skippable episodes here and there which didn't really add anything to the series. It was pretty much the definitive Batman cast of characters and the definitive Gotham, and a show that had no shortage of brilliant moments.

6. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator Administrator Moderator Reporter

My votes goes to Batman: The Animated Series.

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My vote goes to Batman: TAS. An impressive show, even today 20+ years after it's premiere, and a cartoon I still enjoy watching from time to time (maybe even more often than I should), with some incredible stories. Sure not every episode is all that great but even those have some redeeming qualities. Avatar was a pretty awesome show (perhaps even better than Batman as a whole) and I enjoyed it a lot, and still go back to certain episodes once in a while, but I just can't bring myself to vote against Batman: TAS.

8. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Batman: The Animated Series - I just want to make this clear. My vote is not a vote for Batman: TAS to win this tournament, it is only a vote for it to win this particular match. I am a fan of Batman: TAS. I own the entire series, as well as all three of the movies, on dvd/vhs. However, I don't consider it to be as great of a cartoon as others do. There are several action cartoons that I would vote over it: Beast Wars/Machines, Justice League/JLU, (4Kids) TMNT, Transformers: Prime. That being said, my vote in this match is for Batman: TAS/TNBA.

9. r0derix

r0derix New Member

My vote goes to Batman: The Animated Series, though both of these shows would be worthy champions.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

Batman: TAS. Its excellent. And I haven't seen Avatar.

11. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator Moderator

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

I'm throwing in a vote for Avatar. These are both amazing. Batman TAS has some of the greatest episodes ever done in animation, Avatar TLA has an exemplary serialized story going for it. This is also a very competitive matchup on most counts. I have a bias toward Avatar, though, because Batman TAS was this exemplary case of adapting & expanding on the idea of Batman. That a thoroughly original creation like Avatar can compare so well against it and many of these other excellent toons that it came up against in this tournament is super impressive to me, regardless of which side one might happen to come down on in any specific matchup.

Also, a hypothetical: is there any question that the stronger action scenes belong to Avatar?

[video=youtube_share;ZiEX2OL5o-M]http://youtu.be/ZiEX2OL5o-M[/video]

13. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

BATMAN. So much for a more "interesting"/"harder" to decide final match up (picking between Batman or Justice League, Batman or 90's Spider-Man/X-Men, etc).

This March madness idea seemed like a success. Any chance of doing a bonus Superfriends only voting thread after this is finished? ;)

14. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!! Moderator Reporter

Going for Avatar the Last Airbender. Mostly, I love BTAS as one of the finest action cartoons ever made, but Avatar had a whole lot more going for it than just action. It built up a truly epic story with romance and honest-to-goodness philosophical discussion at a depth that would be surprising for a show for grown ups let alone boys 6-11. And those action scenes were truly spectacular, especially once Joaquim Dos Santos wrapped up on JLU and moved over to Avatar. I also still say the second season of the show is one of the finest single seasons of serial TV anywhere ever.

Also, worth pointing out that one common element between the shows is Andrea "Rockstar" Romano. Don't really think that's an accident, cuz the voice acting in both shows was just spectacular.

15. wonderfly

Any Last Votes?!?

16. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

This is a really tough decision, but I'm going with Avatar for the same reason GWOtaku and Ed pointed out: it did more and was far consistent with it. Its themes and character development are exceptional. It's an original show that wasn't a product of an already known name brand and it managed to stand on its own. I find myself watching Avatar much more frequently than I do Batman (although both are very, highly watchable.)

Avatar gets my vote, but it's a real close call.

17. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Batman: The Animated Series, here. It may not have the grand, epic story of Avatar, but it's episodic nature works in its favor as there are plenty of superb episodes that highly add to this show's re-watchability value. As always, Avatar is a great contender, but I was never as huge a fan of it as most other people are. As far as consistent quality goes, I felt that both series faltered at certain points, so I can't personally say that I find Avatar to be any more consistent in quality than BTAS, so I use re-watch value as my measuring stick for quality, in this case.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I'm going to vote for Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. I love both series. Batman: TAS has aged really well, has great storytelling and characters, has nostalgic value for me and deserves its classic status, but I think that I'm going to give Avatar an edge here. It has a fun cast, complex villains, terrific action, balancing out humor and serious tones, deals with complex themes and issues, has a satisfying conclusion and was a successful original series. Both series had weaker episodes, but even some of the weaker Avatar episodes usually had some redeeming quality to them.

It's a tough call to make due to how much I love both series, but I think that Avatar barely edges it out for me.

19. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme Moderator

VERY difficult, ultimately I'll go with Avatar: The Last Airbender, if only because it built up a great world and mythology from the ground up, as opposed to using existing stories and characters. Not that B:TAS is less impressive, but I do respect successful original IPs a bit more.

20. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney! Moderator

Batman: THE Animated Series

We ended with a really good match-up.
    I was thinking how Avatar tells a complete story through the entire series. That seems to be what people want most from a show these days. But I kind of feel like the book is closed on Aang.
    We've seen Batman go through his Justice League years and his beyond years and his epilog but Batman, and I mean The Animated Series Batman, feels more like he is always out there. Like we haven't seen half of what made him Batman.