1. Enter for a chance to win "Digimon Adventure tri.: Reunion" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  3. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Bonus Round thread (2017 edition)!

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 27, 2017.

1. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

The Batman. A show I find to be pretty underrated.

2. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

For me I found Prince of Tennis enjoyable during its Jetstream run. Enjoyed MÄR as well. Wish both were popular enough to have their dubs continued. I still haven't seen the last 3 Hikaru no Gos yet either from its time. I believe they never made their way onto Jetstream or if they did I just didn't return at a good time to see them. I recall a delay though. At one point they were only putting up premiers biweekly, but after #72 of Hikaru it felt like months until I gave up waiting.

I've not caught an episode of The Batman so my vote wont go toward it. Given the rare occurrence, I'll vote both The Prince of Tennis & MÄR. It'll always be in the back of my mind why Toonami would do both of those shows that despite their Jetstream appearances, they'd play the first episodes, and skip a number in each progressing week. Didn't make it fun to watch either on TV so I ended up ignoring both after a couple weeks. I don't remember them lasting long anyway TV-wise, but also glad they had a chance - especially The Prince of Tennis in which it'd seem highly unlikely it'd of ever made US television given the type of anime it is. MÄR on the other hand seemed like a more proper fit given its kind of show, just TV-wise possibly the episode skips killed it (possibly the same way for PoT)

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

The Batman, mainly the quality of the show was phenomenal.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll go with The Batman. While it took awhile for it to get going, it was pretty good once it did and I agree that it is pretty underrated. I remember liking what I saw of Mar and Prince of Tennis, but since the Toonami airings started to skip around episodes for some reason, that made it much more difficult to get into them. I don't think Toonami Jetstream worked for Mac computers for quite awhile, so that made it harder for me to watch either series too.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

And now, to finish off the Bonus match-ups...with a CAGE MATCH!!!

EXTRA EXTRA Bonus Round Cage Match:

Martian Successor Nadesico!!

Versus:

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Neon Genesis Evangelion!!

Versus:

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Dai-Guard!!

Versus:

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Gigantor!!

Who do you vote to win?!?

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Yes, it's all anime that aired during "Giant Robot Week", from February 2003. This was actually one of the last events for TOM (version 2), as this was just 2 or 3 weeks before the introduction of TOM (version 3). So arguably this is how Toonami brought to a close the end of the Golden Age era. Unless you consider the Golden Age lasting until the switch to Saturday nights in 2004 (but the last half of 2003 and the first half of 2004 was a bit of a transition period).

Anyway, here's the long promo for "Giant Robot Week":

#229 wonderfly, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the only one of those I've seen, so it gets my vote

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Neon Genesis Evangelion, it is a lot more interesting.

12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess I'll also vote for Neon Genesis Evangelion.

13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wish that I appreciated this one more when it happened, but I think I was getting over giant robots at this point.

But nowadays, I'm only really familiar and interested in the first 2. Nadesico is a spoof of more series mecha series like Evangelion, but still took itself seriously enough to be a breath of fresh air in such a heavy-handed era. That said, I really like Evangelion, more than Nadesico, so that's where my vote goes.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Nadesico is very funny and even has some important and timely things to say about otaku culture - but Evangelion is clearly the best from the four.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

I actually feel the same way! I kind of took it for granted and didn't watch much of Toonami that week. In retrospect, I didn't realize that the TOM 2 era was drawing to a close, and just figured this was the latest special event and it'd be broadcast again. Also, I think I was heavily watching the news during that period (remember, that was on the eve of the start of the Iraq War).

16. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

I remember not watching much that week either and only maybe caught a couple of the episodes they played. I didn't have too much of an interest level.

My vote goes to Evangelion.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess I'll go with Evangelion. It's the only series out the four that I'm slightly familiar with, even if it is primarily through the new movies. I'm still not sure if I can see exactly why it became so popular even through the movie retelling, but it might have been more clear in the original series. I didn't watch the Giant Robot week either since I wasn't really watching Toonami at that point. I don't think I did start watching it more regularly until either sometime before or after it moved to Saturday nights.

18. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Bonus Round threads this year!

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1