1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Animated Sci-Fi/Fantasy Films!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 1, 2015.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament:
    Battle of the Animated Sci-Fi/Fantasy Films!!

Welcome to the 2nd Annual Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event! Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic animated films against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

For last year's main tournament thread, click here.
    For last year's tournament results, click here.

How it works:

There are two divisions that will have daily battles, which I will call "The Dragon Conference" and "The Robot Conference". As you can tell, one conference is dedicated to Science Fiction animated films, the other to Fantasy animated films.

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the Dragon conference, and one for the Robot conference. I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.

For current tournament standings, click here.

"So what's eligible to appear in the tournament, and what's not?"

Last year, we did "American Action cartoons". This year, we wanted to do animated action films, but that's perhaps too broad. To narrow things down, we have films that fall into Sci-Fi or Fantasy categories. So to be eligible here, the first thing is that the film has to have some sort of science fiction or fantasy element.

Films that don't qualify: films with personification and anthropomorphism of animals/objects - but contain no other fantasy/science fiction element. "Charlotte's Web", "Lady and the Tramp", "The Lion King", "A Goofy Movie", "Cars", "The Brave Little Toaster", if it's got talking animals/objects in it, that's not the type of fantasy we're looking for!

Also, it needs a measure of action to it. Fantasy films that are just fairy tales ("the Prince falls in love with the magical girl"), that's not what we're looking for here! And just to help narrow the field even more, films with a mixture of live actors and animation are also not included ("Cool World", "James and the Giant Peach", "Twilight of the Cockroaches", "Space Jam", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"). Finally, the list of contenders includes no films released since the end of 2013 onward ("Frozen" is such an industry game changer, it made sense to make that the "line in the sand").

And yes, it's not a perfect list, but it's what I came up with, (special thanks for input from fellow moderators Ed Liu, GWOtaku, and Neo Yi!). Outside of Sci-Fi shows in one conference, and Fantasy shows in another conference, placement of films in the tournament was rather arbitrary in nature.

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Division 1 (aka "The Dragon conference")
    Division 2 (aka "the Robot conference")

Be sure to place your votes for your favorite American Action cartoons!

2. wonderfly

It's Dragons vs. Robots!! Robots vs. Dragons!!
    Use this thread to discuss the overall tournament! But beyond that: Was there an animated sci-fi/fantasy film that you felt was overlooked that should've been included? Give that film a shout out here!

This year we will see the return of the Bonus Round thread! This year we will have 8 animated films (of your choice) battle it out for a chance to break into the main tournament! Choices can be drawn from films released in theaters, or from anime films, or from DTV's here in the USA. Look for that thread to start next week, so get your nominations in now!

3. wonderfly

Copied from one of the voting threads:

Just FYI, when I was making the list of contenders, as far as what films ended up getting included, and which didn't: preference was given to films that have actually aired in theaters. Following that, preference was given to anime films or American DTV films that aired on TV (so the classic stuff from the days of anime on the Sci-Fi Channel, to the animated films that aired on Toonami or Adult Swim, those often were included). But beyond that, a few DTV animated features (that never got aired on TV) that were felt strong enough were still included. That just goes back to the changing format of animation - we will probably see more stuff head directly online (like Netflix) in years to come.

In the end, I hope it makes for a diverse list of contenders. :)

"The Batman Vs. Dracula" did air on classic Toonami, so that's why it gets included here.

EDIT: Just for discussion, here's a list (from 2009) of the top "Straight to DVD" animated films. (some of which are in this tournament).

I think this opening paragraph from that article says it best:

And that was from 2009, so you know the "direct to video" market is only getting stronger since then.

4. wonderfly

As mentioned above, I was hoping to have some nominees for the "Bonus Round" thread (which is coming as soon as maybe next week)!

Here is the list of current contenders in the tournament.

Are there any animated films that you feel were overlooked and could stand to be in the tournament? Choices can include theatrical releases, anime films, America DTV or OAV films, etc...

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

On sci-fi:

Star Chaser
    Gandahar aka Light Years

On fantasy:

Corpse Bride

6. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

We have a great Tournament going. I guess I have a few more suggestions.

For sci-fi:

What about that movie with the genetically engendered super soldier that is a threat to the entire galaxy. When he escapes to planet Earth they need to hunt him down, even if it means destroying the planet. Lilo and Stitch is a surprisingly good sci-fi story.

Interstella 5555 is not the usual but loved.

Fantasy:
    Puss in Boots (2011) I may have recommended Shrek but Puss is a much better film then any of the Shreks in my opinion. Also it has more action.

The Princes and the Goblin I don't know if it can win against most Disney movies but something to consider.

TV based movies:
    It was done as a two part episode but "The Birth of Evil" of Samurai Jack beats things I've voted for, like "Trouble in Tokyo" and "Sword of Storms."

Then again Futurama had those "movies" that were good but a bit of a mess for being made as half movie/half multipart episode. I guess 'Benders Big Score" would be the one to pick.

Movies I can't really recommend because I've never seen, but I hope to some day. Maybe others have opinions on.

The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon A Tōei influence on Samurai Jack.

Abra Cadabra Sounds optimistic and in 3D (probably not available anywhere)

The Mystery of the Third Planet" I don't know if it's great, but it's Russian.

The Princess and the Robot I don't know what category it falls in but it looks cute.

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I have two more fantasy suggestions:

The Thief and the Cobbler (has a storied history, but . . .)
    The Yellow Submarine (fantasy or experimental)

8. wonderfly

Remember, it has to have at least somewhat of an action element to it (we were originally going to go with just "Action" animated movies, then decided to narrow it to sci-fi/fantasy animated films...). I don't recognize some of the nominations above, but I'm always willing to look into animated films I haven't heard of before... :)

9. wonderfly

Ladies and Gentlemen: Your "Sweet Sixteen" for the "Battle of the Brackets" tournament!!

The Hobbit
    Aladdin
    Sleeping Beauty
    The Secret of Kells
    Spirited Away
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Secret of Nimh
    Coraline
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    The Incredibles
    Akira
    Robot Carnival
    Wall-E
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    The Iron Giant

So that's 4 Disney films, 2 Pixar films, 2 anime films, 1 Miyazaki films (yes I'm grouping his in a category all their own), 1 DC Animated Universe, 2 "Tim Burton" films, 1 Don Bluth film, 1 European oddity (Secret of Kells), 1 90's oddity ("The Iron Giant"), and 1 70's/80's "anti-Disney" film ("The Hobbit" - though throwing it in as "Anti-Disney" like the other stuff from that era isn't quite accurate. "Hobbit" is it's own unique entity).

10. wonderfly

Ladies and Gentlemen: Your remaining Top 8 contenders in the "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament!

Aladdin
    The Secret of Kells
    Spirited Away
    Coraline
    Wreck-It Ralph
    The Incredibles
    Wall-E
    The Iron Giant

11. wonderfly

Sorry I didn't post the next round thread last night, was feeling a little under the weather. I'm about to post the next round threads here momentarily (will have this round of voting run till tomorrow night - Saturday at close to midnight). So here's what's remaining over the last few days of the tournament:

Today/Saturday: Top 8 contenders - Match #1
    Sunday: Taking this day off
    Monday: Top 8 contenders - Match #2
    Tuesday: Semi-Finals - The Top Two in the Dragon Conference battle!
    Wednesday: Semi-Finals - The Top Two in the Robot Conference battle!
    Thursday: The Final Match! The Winner of the Dragon Conference vs. the Winner of the Robot Conference!
    Friday: The Winner is declared!!