1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" - Adult Swim 15th Anniversary edition!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by wonderfly, Mar 16, 2016.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

With 2016, we have now reached 15 years of Adult Swim!!
    To celebrate, we're going to have:

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament (2016 edition!):
    Battle of the Adult Swim shows!!

Welcome to the 3rd Annual Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event! Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic Adult Swim shows against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

For the 1st year's main tournament thread, click here.
    For the 1st year's tournament results, click here.
    For last year's tournament thread, click here.
    For last year's tournament results, click here.

How it works:

There are two divisions that will have daily battles, which I will call "The Comedy Conference" and "The Action Conference".

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the Comedy conference, and one for the Action conference. I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.

For current tournament standings, click here.

"So what's eligible to appear in the tournament, and what's not?"

1. No live action shows. This is a celebration of animated shows first and foremost.
    2. Some Toonami (post-2012) shows are included, as they are technically part of "Adult Swim". I may at a later date do a full-fledged "Toonami Tournament" (like, oh, say...maybe next year in time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Toonami?) ;)
    3. My preference is to NOT include shows that are still relatively new (so no "Mike Tyson Mysteries) and to NOT include shows air still airing current episodes (so no "Dragon Ball Z Kai, Parasyte, etc") but some iconic shows still airing new episodes (like "The Venture Bros.") are in the tournament.

But beyond that, is there a show you feel that was overlooked? Drop a line here, maybe that show will get in as a "Bonus" addition later on in the tournament!

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Division 1 (the Adult Swim Comedy shows conference)
    Division 2 (the Adult Swim Action shows conference)

#1 wonderfly, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. wonderfly

To match previous years, this thread (the "Main Tournament Announcement/Discussion" thread) will be hosted here on the General Animation forum, while the actual voting threads (as linked to in the post above) will be housed on the Adult Swim/Toonami forum.

Be sure to place your votes for your favorite Adult Swim shows!

3. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I've got one I was a tad disappointed not seeing on here. Bob's Burgers for the comedy conference. It's still airing new episodes, but so are Family Guy and American Dad. It hasn't been on Adult Swim long, but it's a marvelous show and should be on here over other choices, IMO.

Is that just Fullmetal Alchemist for the first series or Brotherhood?

4. wonderfly

I was hesitant at first to include shows that are still airing new episodes. But Family Guy and American Dad are such a part of the history of Adult Swim, they had to be included.

I just checked, and apparently Bob's Burgers has been around since 2011?!? Well, I guess that's not so new after all. I might throw in "Bob's Burgers" into a bonus voting thread.

The similarities are such that I consider it a vote for either. If you preferred "Brotherhood", consider it a vote for that version, and vice versa.

5. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Yeah it's been on TV for a while now, but only on Adult Swim since either 2013 or 2014. It's a really amazing show IMO.

6. wonderfly

A Note from your "Battle of the Brackets" Game Manager:
    I will be gone on a trip for the next 3 days, leaving tomorrow morning. In the meantime, fellow moderator GWOtaku will be taking over the posting of the day's winners and the launching of the next matches.

Please be aware that he is allowed to vote in the threads if he so chooses (I'm the only one who purposefully abstains from voting).

I will be back Sunday evening in time for the next round of voting!

7. wonderfly

I'm very happy that the Semi-Finals starts tomorrow. That's right - this is the last week of the tournament! Which means we're dealing with the "best of the best" in Adult Swim shows, from here on out. I'm excited to see who wins! :)