1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone Talkback - "Wreck-It Ralph" Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Astrolupine, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BagOfMagicFood

BagOfMagicFood New Member

I too have been addicted to that game, which is why I feel I should inform you that there was no "beat the game" in the original version, or at least I never encountered anything new as far as I got, which was about level 256--funny coincidence, that number. :) And the number of screens it takes to see the level-end scene in the second version varies early on: For the first building, it's only 3; but the second, it's only 5; for the third, it's 9; and for the rest of the game, it's 10 screens per building, making the win scene the rough equivalent of the "Two free pies, keep it up Felix!" screens in the old one, where the game goes back to being easy for a while so it's not difficult to score your lives back. I do agree though that it gets tedious and annoying how the majority of each building is so easy for so long, only getting a little bit scary near the top where flying ducks can occupy all 3 rows at once now. Yeah I can stay in the game longer, but it also feels like a waste of my time when nothing changes but the ducks all reaching maximum speed by building 43 and the Nicelanders taking as long as they ever will to offer a pie.

Some other things version 1 has in its favor:

- Ralph truly feels like the bad guy of the game. It may be a little unbalanced, but with his lightning-fast bricks that frequently take out whole columns of windows, he can pose a serious threat to your chances of fixing every window in time. In contrast, the newer version's biggest threat is the nasty formations of ducks and walls you can run into in the top levels, hazards which probably weren't even imagined for the game as portrayed in the movie. Ralph can actually be helpful if you let him break more windows to give you more points to replenish your lives before moving on to a harder level, too.

- The lighter mortar color makes the blocker walls easier to see, especially the left-right blockers if you have any sort of red-green colorblindness.

- Waiting for pies can be an interesting gamble, as you gain an additional 1000 points from each (the equivalent to saving 20 seconds), but the number of pies per level isn't guaranteed, and the time you're forced to wait for pies on the later-ish levels varies greatly too. On very high levels, though, the pies seem to always take so long that you can only collect them just as time runs out, or if you take 2 deaths and are on your very last window, or are playing with a lot of lag on your PC. Version 2 is nice in that you can almost always receive 1 pie on floors 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10, but pretty soon it takes so long to wait for one that it's almost never worthwhile or helpful enough, and though the power-up effect is cool, it can in fact lower your score because you don't get points for the second windowpane when you fix two at once.

- A couple of features still point to the first version's design, like that big empty space where the timer used to be, or that airplane that tells you what building you were on, when level number could be indicated in text that appears over the fallen Ralph as in the arcade version or in a pop-up box as in the iOS version. The plane was more useful for telling how high up you were.

- A few hilarious glitches, like the word "REACHED!" hanging off the bottom of the banner once you get to triple-digit levels, and pushing P (to pause) during Game Over and seeing how the status bar looks when you start a new game. On the downside, both versions have the bad glitch where if you fix a window at the exact same time Ralph breaks one, it can mess up the game's detection of all windows fixed and never let you move on to the next floor, which means Game Over by time-up in the first version. In the second version it just makes for a very boring game, as you have to wait for Ralph to break windows with bricks to get any more points, but it's also less likely to happen as Ralph's brick range is a little narrower and you're not rushing to get everything fixed within one minute. Still, be careful. I also found a glitch in the second version where if you press P to pause during the win cutscene, the pause box will never disappear for the rest of the game no matter how many times you pause and unpause again, obscuring your view of the top row.

And generally it's more exciting for the whole game to be timed, but it's also unfair that the timer often continues while your PC is overloaded and has to stop gameplay to reshuffle its memory, so the update made it a little fairer to everyone.

What's nice is that Disney brought back the first version to play on the new home page, with only a few minor alterations: A grain video filter, a personal high score board with ten slots, and updated copyright information. Yet if you visit other sites that host the game, like the Disney arcade zone, or this Facebook app, you can play the second version and compete for score with everyone on the site. (The disney.go.com leaderboard seems to be down for me today, though... :sad:)

So far it looks extremely unlikely that Felix would turn villainous; it looks more that he's just a nice guy who has to gain some perspective and learn what true heroism is. I did get this idea that they could have Mr. Litwak repair the game by installing a new Wreck-It Ralph in the original Ralph's absence and have that new Ralph be part of the big threat to the game world as he doesn't yet know that it's just a game, and after it's all resolved, our Ralph could start a new life in another game. That's also starting to look unlikely though, as so far all the previews indicate they're actually going out of their way to avoid making clone characters, despite how easily justified that would be in a video game world. (The repeating backgrounds you get as you browse Game Central Station on the new home page might constitute one exception. ;)) The thought there may have been, "They said Bolt was too much like Buzz Lightyear; don't make another Buzz Lightyear!"

Still, even if Ralph goes back to his old job, it doesn't mean nothing's changed for him. It might be more of an emotional victory, where he forms better relationships with characters like the Nicelanders. It's all in the execution, I think.

Rainbow Dash? I didn't think of that. Although, Snowanna Rainbeau's design did remind me of Rainbow Dash, but it's probably just someone with a multi-flavored snow-cone theme going on.

2. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

"Hey team, just so you know, we can display the cameo characters on the one-sheets along with the cast. Just remember, the guys like Sonic and Bowser are just cameos, so don't display them front and centre, 'kay?"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

[​IMG]

Great. Now I want a Sonic CG movie :sweat:. IGN has more posters here.

4. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

You gotta love the fact that a few of the cameos are front and centre. Just make sure the gun's not aimed at your foot, Disney.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, great. Now people are going to think Sonic's the star of the movie.
    *looks at the copyright on the bottom*
    Huh. I didn't know Columbia (Sony) owns Q*bert.

6. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I think that's the point... Let's hope Sega decides to make a movie and game for Sonic's 25th, or at least one of those shorts like Night of the Werehog...

But, I was already looking forward to the movie, especially when I heard the rumor that Eggman could have a part in the movie all those moths ago... And then I heard of Sonic, and now I have a feeling he will at least appear more than once or twice in the film... Maybe two cameo-like appearances and then he comes up at the end and tells Ralph he's a good guy now? You know, Disney/Sega wouldn't pay Roger to just read out simple Sonic Sez-like lines (who actually pays him for the movie? Disney, right?) they'd want to get more out of it, and Sonic's multiple appearances could be the equivalent to Ralph's inclusion in Sonic & Allstars Racing: Transformed... Yeah, I'm just hoping...

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to this, they still got a little bit of work left on the film.
    I mean, it's okay, they only got 13 days till it's release.

Looks like the credits are going be worth sticking around for. Can't wait to see it!

EDIT. Dang I forgot November's not for another month!
    Yeah, they have plenty of time to finish this then.

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

People are going to see that and think it is a Sonic the Hedgehog movie. I can't believe Disney actually made this.

9. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

You know thinking about it, this sudden partnership between Sega and Disney certainly makes Sonic Underground's appearance on DXD make a LOT more sense.

10. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

Yeah I'm not agreeing with how Disney is promoting the movie either, but as Dudley said several posts back, whatever gets people to come and see it.

11. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

One of my friends dates an animator on this film. She said they're way behind and going to cut it very close.

12. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

Well, the movie won't be released until the beginning of November. So I'm sure they can be finished before then.

13. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that was taken into consideration.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was upset about the way they were promoting this, prominently featuring characters who only have a cameo. But I remember that Disney has a tendency to promote films in ways that don't accurately represent the product. Like how Tangled was advertised in a way to get a larger male audience (even changing the name from Rapunzel to "Tangled").
    And don't get me started on "The Bridge to Terabithia"....

15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Other Disney international divisions like Disney Australia wouldn't do the same thing with all the cameos for their posters, right? Nope, Stitch Kingdom has an article showing the new poster. A big version of the AU/NZ poster can be found at The Daily Blam.

16. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

It's A Meet Sweet Of Sugar Rushians

The Wreck-It Ralph Facebook is full of new content.

Here's all the Sugar Rushians and their rides. Pimp My Go-Kart indeed.

http://www.buzzsugar.com/Wreck--Ralph-Sugar-Rush-Characters-25154791

BTW, the Vanellope Von Schweetz talking doll is in Toys R Us. Boy does she talk too much. She has 30 phrases, 5 of which you can hear in the store. One of however is a huge spoiler, I had already spoiled myself on that plot point. But beware if you see her in stores.

The DJ Skillrex is going to have a cameo in the Fix-It Felix party scene. If nobody says "It's Hammer Time" when everyone starts dancing. I'll be forever disappointed:quinn:.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/wreck-it-ralph-s-skrillex-cameo-revealed

MTV's Blog has 5 new Hero's Duty pics.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/09/27/wreck-it-ralph-heros-duty/

Here's a little more about Fix-It Felix's world.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09...x-it-felix-jr?abthid=50647806eeeb996324000074

The official Disney site has updated a lot. You can now explore more of the different worlds and see more of the characters.

Then & Now Comparsions of the cameo video game characters- including Zangief, Q-Bert, and.M. Bison.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/then-now-the-classic-video-game-characters

In the latest trailer you can hear a tiny bit of Owl City's "When Can I See You Again". This is the song thats going to get a music video.

http://www.videostatic.com/vs/2012/09/in-production-owl-city-matt-stawksi-dir.html

Love this mock up of the stands where the fans can cheer on their favorite Sugar Rushians.

17. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

18. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

We all know about Sonic's little PSA in the movie about the dangers of game-hopping. In a new interview, Producer Clark Spencer mentioned that there will be another Sonic cameo in the movie..
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/wreck-...cameo-revealed

19. Elrohir

Elrohir Member

This is more common than you think. I know LOTR: The Two Towers was finished like a few days before the release.

20. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From AllThingsD.com, Disney has redesigned their website. On a new Disney Games page, you can now play Sugar Rush! It is the third selection dot on the main page. Included is a sample of AKB48's Sugar Rush theme on the title screen. The Sugar Rush theme is very catchy IMO.

As for any sequel talk, it's way too early for that. You can't have a sequel without the first movie doing well, so let's see how Wreck-It Ralph does at the box office next month first, now exactly one month away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.