Toonzone Talkback - "Wreck-It Ralph" Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Astrolupine, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Formerly the mysterious Reboot Ralph. Granted, Ralph's rumored plot has been out for a few months now, but now that we know he's a former villain character, the concept sounds more interesting than before.

Walt Disney Animation Studios released this press release today:

PR: Walt Disney Animation Studios Introduces New CG Comedy Adventure "Wreck-It Ralph"

NOTE: If the site receives this press release as well, feel free to edit my post to the official link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Why are we getting so many "bad guys want to be good guys" movies all of a sudden? Coincidence?

Are there any pics of this? I'm finding it hard to visualize. When they mean 8-Bit, is he going to be a mess of pixels, or what?

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

The only movie Disney Animation is doing that I look forward to seeing, and they're doing that as a plot.
    I'm so disappointed.
    Well at least they're keeping the video game plot to it. I can't wait to see a trailer or something.

4. EHH123

EHH123 Member

The synopsis says the villain wants to be a hero, so it isn't all that similar to Despicable Me or Megamind. Look, we all saw Bolt and the similarities to Toy Story and The Truman Show yet that still turned out to be a good movie. I just hope the movie will not just be a bunch of Pac-Man jokes from people who haven't played video games since the 16-bit era. Still, I do admire that Disney hired an outsider like Rich Moore to direct. He directed some of the best episodes of The Simpsons and Futurama. And if I can praise Disney for one thing, they are not celebrity crazy like Dreamworks is. Sure the cast is hardly unknown but they seem like the kind of comedians who can bring in good vocal performances. To sum it all up, I'm optimistic but cautiously optimistic.

5. PaperBritt

PaperBritt New Member

This is, by far, the weirdest thing to come out of Disney for awhile. John C. Riley voices an 8-bit bad guy who wants to be a hero so he teams up with a FPS super solider to do it and falls in love with a glitched karting character played by Sarah Silverman, directed by someone who wrote the Simpsons and Futurama. The only thing that would make it weirder would be if they actually confirmed it was being animated with gamesprites.

That said, It sounds like something that can atleast be fun to watch.

6. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I'm pretty interested mostly due to Rich Moore, who I'm sure is pretty up on all the video game trends, retro and modern.

7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

So, his problem is he's in one of the half dozen preschool games (I suppose) where you actually fix something, and not in one of the million game where wanton destruction is rewarded.

Is that even a legitimate video game character trope, or meme or whatdoyoucallit?
    Sounds kind of "Wicked" if you ask me. Which is just an awful take.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I am interested in seeing how it looks. Will it really look like an 8-bit game?

9. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

The only thing mildly attractive about this film is Rich Moore.

10. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

It sounds kind of cool to me, but it all depends all the execution.

11. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Originally I didn't like how the movie was sounding, but it's starting to sound pretty good now. Wish that I could see some images to visualize it better, but I'm looking forward to hearing more info.

12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Done. Also converted this thread into the official Wreck-It Ralph pre-release talkback thread.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

D23 going on this weekend, so we get a bit more info about the movie (and get taunted with an arcade game you can't play unless you're there).

The cabinet captures that classic arcade look perfectly.

14. Astrolupine

Is it me, or does Ralph look very much like John C. Reilly himself?

I'm glad that they've managed to capture the classic arcade art well, it just makes me even more curious what the characters will look like in finished form, and how 8-bit and CG models are going to interact.

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

Same here. I'm really curious to see how they'll make this look like a movie worthy of being on the big screen while also capturing that 8 bit feel correctly.

16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Ralph reminds me of the guy from "A Year Without a Santa". I don't remember his name.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. He looks Heat Miser from A Year Without a Santa Claus.

18. Astrolupine

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

If Pixar can get Mr. Potato Head and Barbie to appear in Toy Story, then I don't see how Disney would have any trouble.

I was worried at first about hearing a movie where the bad guy wants to be a good guy (like Megamind), but this movie is back up on the list of Disney films I'm looking forward to seeing.

20. Rainbow Sharpie

Rainbow Sharpie gonna bury you with my sound~

Is it just me or does Sarah Silverman's character look like she walked right out of a Scott Pilgrim book?

Anyway, seems like an interesting idea and theme. Yeah, it seems that the “bad guy wants to and/or becomes good” plot has been used often in the past year or so...but hopefully this movie gets good mileage out of it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.