Toonami

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Jeff Harris, May 7, 2009.

1. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Discussion thread for Toonami. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Okay. I'm going to have to get back to this one . . . that's all we've got for the block?

2. Alshoff

Alshoff Member

I've filled it out somewhat, but it could use some fact checking and more details.

3. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Looking over this, it seems to be written in a fairly informal and biased style. Whilst we don't want to go into full on dull text book like some Wikis, this really needs to be cleaned up. Our intent is to provide people with reliable, factual information :)

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Mmm. In fact, the X Bridge itself and still-living Toonami fansites could be very useful. I even have a magazine article from Newtype USA that could offer some insight, possibly (I'm thinking at least a quote or two from actual staff). Maybe I'll sort through my dozens of issues and find it.

For the timeline, we definitely need to mention the programming that was on the block every year. A lot of the stuff currently there could be moved into a section specifically for the special events and other features of the block.

5. Alshoff

Alshoff Member

How could it possibly be biased? Everything about Kids' WB in that article is true... from a certain point of view. :sweat:

#5 Alshoff, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  6. Lazerboy5000

Lazerboy5000 Catch 'ya Later!

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

The death slot section should probably make note that Gundam SEED, Cyborg 009 and .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet were not always in the 5AM hour. All three were in the 1AM hour for a time.

As I recall Gundam SEED replaced Cyborg 009 in the 1AM hour then eventually SEED and .hack//LotTB moved to to the 5AM hour. Then when Yu Yu Hakusho returned and took 5:30AM, SEED and .hack// shared the 5AM slot alternating airing one or the other each week.

You might include IGPX which aired at midnight on Friday/Saturday overnights when it was removed from Toonami but that isn't exactly a death slot.

D.I.C.E. also ended up at 6AM on Saturday mornings when it flopped on Toonami.

A thought regarding the show page. Why not change "Other series" to "Western Animation" or something like that. Granted Fantastic Four is technically French but then it could be "Western and European Animated series".

Lastly the paragraph describing Saturday night Toonami is pretty bad. "The previous incarnations of Toonami concentrated mostly on action shows. The new Toonami added shows revolving around card or video games such as Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, D.I.C.E., and Pokemon Chronicles."

Yes they did air those shows but Saturday night Toonami certainly wasn't only toyetic anime. The emphasis was always on action. That's like saying the Hamtaro airing on Toonami when it was on weekdays made the block any less of an action animation block. It was a hick-up and nothing more. Same goes for Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, D.I.C.E., etc. 7PM-8PM was not what defined the Saturday night block.

Here's what really set Saturday night Toonami apart from weekday Toonami

Saturday night Toonami was Cartoon Network's premiere action block between 2004 and 2007. For the first time ever, Cartoon Network's original action series and the likes of Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited were premiered episodes on Toonami. Previously Toonami was only given acquisition premieres and original series reruns because prime time blocks always got the premieres of shows such as Samurai Jack and Justice League. It was only at this point in Toonami's lifespan that the block aired IGPX, a full 26 episode animated series produced for Toonami.

Saturday night Toonami was the first Cartoon Network block to regularly and unashamedly air TV-PG programming before 10PM with PG-V Naruto or uncut DBZ airing as early as the 7 hour for a time and PG-V Naruto's regular premiere slot being 9PM with encores in the 8 hour.

There was much more to Saturday Toonami than the addition of mon shows. When they lost two hours in 2007 they got rid of the mon shows (aside from a one week airing of Bakugan which clearly didn't work out) making the block only their heaviest hitters (Naruto, One Piece and DBZ) and replaced the latter with Blue Dragon (soon to be replaced by Ben 10: AF reruns) and Samurai Jack when CN gave up the rights to One Piece and DBZ. Infact, mon shows barely came into the picture at first. Duel Masters was a parody of the genre. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! weren't regular fixtures on the Saturday night block until 2006 which was around the time Toonami was losing it's purpose as CN's premiere action block due to their original action shows moving to Saturday morning premieres.