"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Naruto(manga wise) lost a lot of popularity due to the stuff that happened in the story near the end, and Shippuden near the end was pretty much just filler. Seriously, the manga had ended and filler was still going on.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it helps that Dragon Ball has been around longer and has more of a nostalgic appeal for fans. That's one reason people were excited for DB Super when it was the first new TV series for the franchise in years. Naruto have been going on pretty much non-stop since the original series began. The original series is probably nostalgic for its fans, but it hasn't survived the test of time like DBZ has. Plus, I don't know how well received the series was after the time skip. It seemed kind of mixed at best based on what I've seen and heard about it.

That would be probably the best solution if they really did want to air Boruto sooner rather than later, but I don't think I'd want that. The main reason airing DBZ Kai and Super together works is because has a clear ending point. They'd only have two DB series airing at the same time for a little over a year and it was better than waiting another year to air Super. Considering how ridiculously long Shippuden is and how there isn't a clear indication of how long Boruto will last, I don't think it would work out that well. Plus, I don't think Shippuden is popular enough on the block to warrant that kind of treatment like DB is.

I remember how popular Naruto was back in the day too. I'm still not sure if it reached DBZ levels of popularity by the general public, but it was at least pretty close to that level of popularity during its heyday. Kids wanted those headbands and do the Naruto style of running. While I don't know much about the source material itself, I have heard that the series became much more well known for having long stretches of filler by a certain point. After the manga ended, they kept the series going for at least another year. Even the filler near the end of the original series' run had become pretty infamous to the point where people asked Jason to skip them after they started airing the original Naruto on Toonami again. That might have turned off some of the more casual fans of the series and Naruto's popularity was already fading by around the time Shippuden started, if not earlier than that. Not to mention the airings on Toonami are far behind the Japanese version and probably the DVD sets too, so that wouldn't help the ratings either.

In spite of doing that, the series still seems to be pretty successful, at among the hardcore Naruto and anime fans in general. While keeping the series going long after the manga finished its run was an odd choice, it probably showed the demand the general audience had for Naruto in Japan. It didn't take them long to dive into a sequel series either, so despite the issues people have with the series, it hasn't prevented the series from being a success on some levels at least. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good or bad thing, but rather that people still really seem to like Naruto in spite of it not being as popular as it once was.

3. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

I think it was purposely supposed to be funny. :p

Toonami was off daytime since April 2004 and has been permanently moved to Saturday nights to this day. And Naruto aired during 2005, so it couldn't never aired on daytime Toonami. But, if I recall, Naruto aired on Miguzi for some time, so if you want "daytime Toonami," then you got it.

4. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Correct. It did indeed air there which I thought was odd in terms of the violent content. Miguzi was obviously a lot more tame in such (at least there wasn't much fantasy violence) though Toonami has aired tame plenty of times as well, and adding Naruto there made it feel like it was out of place to the point where "why not just add shows we had there from Toonami?" I don't remember how long it lasted though. At the same time though at least Teen Titans had it's premiers Sat nights during Toonami. A lot of confusion about the shows kind of both broadcast maybe only because of Miguzi's choices. If not mistaken as well they [Miguzi] also aired the 4kids One Piece for a time plus I think I recall Zatch Bell being there. It was like Miguzi was slowly turning back to Tooami... and as I type all that, I feel like I'm regarding anime action as the least tame and considering western animation more tame. Perhaps that's how/why I explain what I do.

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

It's a bit bewildering Naruto aired on Miguzi, considering it was meant to be younger-skewing and it was one of the few TV-PG/clearly older-skewing shows on the network at the time.

(Though Miguzi had a lot more oddities...Code Lyoko would've definitely been edited for fanservice as an anime on Toonami.)

6. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Code Lyoko had fanservice?

7. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

It was shocking at the time to see blood outside of Adult Swim (Dragonball Z uncut also aired around the same time, but they switched to the censored version in a hurry. I think that had to do with the bigger shock of seeing Gohan's genitalia on a children's channel). I can't imagine ever seeing blood on Cartoon Network again. How did Naruto get away with that?

8. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I recall Naruto was still edited for blood, but if the blood didn't move or if it was something minor like a character getting cut on their hand, it wasn't edited.

I'm guessing the early sagas of Dragon Ball Z got away with much worse violence, because the draw was that it was supposed to be as uncut as possible compared to the Saban-era episodes. Pretty much everything was allowed, but the Princess Snake episode was supposed to air edited because of a scene where Goku takes a bath. However, the uncut tape was accidently aired making the whole first run of the Saiyan and Freeza redubs completely edit-free.

#6728 SpaceCowboy, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

So they originally intended to not show the episodes with nudity uncut, but accidentally slipped up? I know they toned down blood, but having any blood at all was still shocking. As for Dragonball Z uncut, I wonder if that would have lasted longer had they aired that episode edited (or the nude Gohan episode, but the nudity in that was fleeting enough that parents might or might not have caught it). Would Cartoon Network Toonami have done a special presentation of the Android Saga uncut?

10. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Rurouni Kenshin got away with a good amount of blood on daytime Toonami, with similar rules about blood not moving/cuts and wounds. Sean Akins later admitted the show would've been a better fit for Adult Swim.

11. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

CN is a little more edgy nowadays but not edgy in the way it used to in regards to anime.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

12. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, CN doesn't even really have action cartoons nowadays, so there's nothing to be "edgy" about, when it comes to action cartoons (or anime). The CN comedy shows, sure, they get to insinuate more "adult" material, more emotional development for the characters, etc. If CN did show more action cartoons these days, I'm not sure if "more blood" would be allowed. Would Rurouni Kenshin (or something like it), if it were to air on Cartoon Network (not Adult Swim) these days, would it be uncut?

(we'll never know, because CN doesn't want to dabble in action cartoons/anime)...

This is going off on a side tangent, sorry...

13. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Correct. Referencing this thread. It seemed like the "Ultimate Uncut" line Funimation was doing only covered the first two sagas.

Uncut DBZ on CN wasn't that shocking considering Telemundo, a Spanish-language network in the US, had previously aired the same episodes mostly uncensored on weekday mornings before (with a Y7 rating). In some parts of the US, the network was easily available over-the-air and the show followed Nicktoons programming like Rugrats.

#6733 SpaceCowboy, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

It's probably the most popular show that Toonami's aired post-2012 rebirth (at least in terms of pop culture). Except for maybe Samurai Jack Season 5 or Dragon Ball Super.

Yes, it's still relevant.

18. superkeegan9100

But it's been years since they aired it, you'd think the popularity died down by now...

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They did air season two earlier this year. The popularity of Attack on Titan has definitely died down, but they still aired the second season and the chances are excellent they'll air the third season sometime next summer too. It was arguably one of the block's most popular shows since moving to Adult Swim during its first season though.

20. superkeegan9100

Oh, right. Sorry I forget things sometimes.