"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember that One Piece had one or two marathons, but I don't recall a marathon for Shippuden. There might have been one for the original Naruto though.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

The original Naruto had multiple marathons back during the 2005 to 2008 era.

That's possibly what he's thinking of. Though that's not the same as "Shippuden"...

3. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Hasn't been one for Shippuden, but the original Naruto did have a marathon which the only one that comes to mind at the moment was back in the year it premiered on CN Toonami. They had a Naru-Year's Eve marathon that started roughly at 2:30pm NY Eve, playing the first 17(?) episodes.

4. wonderfly

Yeah, the Naruto-Year's Eve marathon (December 31st 2005) is the most remembered:

But then they started having Naruto marathon's every few months:

November 2006:

January 2007:

April 2007:

And there were others as well, but you get the picture...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, that makes me nostalgic for the days when Cartoon Network treated anime/action cartoons really well. :(

Heck, I wouldn't mind if we got marathons for some of the longer shows once in awhile. Like, Shippuden could really use one to catch up the current English dub.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Naruto had a marathon on the new Toonami block, but I might have been thinking of the marathons from the classic Toonami. That was when Naruto was probably at the peak of its popularity, or at least it seemed to be from my perspective, so that would explain why they had so many marathons. I'm pretty sure there was an all-day Naruto marathon once too.

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Even crazier, it was a three day marathon titled the "Hundo" to hype up the 100th episode of Naruto (which aired on that Sunday evening). They aired 100 episodes from 6am Friday morning to 9:30pm Sunday night, only taking breaks for Adult Swim.

It was a fascinating marathon, primarily because someone royally messed up on the Saturday portion of the marathon. Large portions of Saturday were broadcast without commercials (there'd be the fade outs as normal, but the episode would just keep playing), and there were a few instances where the episode would start up, play for a few minutes, and then the episode would rewind (and I mean it looked like someone rewinding a tape) live on-air and start from the beginning. At random points too, the video feed would crash, and be replaced by a few minutes of Cartoon Network's technical difficulies card, known to some as "The Fence".

[​IMG]

You can read all about it and the live reactions members here had to it in the monster-sized talkback thread we did back then.
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/naruto-hundo-talkback-spoilers.4398771/

#6707 veemonjosh, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

It's crazy to believe that Naruto did see that long of a marathon many years ago.

9. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

It's funny how CN did the same thing with Teen Titans Go! now... Unfortunately, back then they had a ton of variety so it wasn't as annoying to have Naruto air for 3 days straight.

It's also funny how CN always has it's popular show every year. A few of CN's most popular shows from the past decade or two would be; Teen Titans Go! (obviously), Total Drama, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball (maaaybe), Dragon Ball Z, Naruto (Toonami spoiled DBZ and Naruto so much back then), and more.

10. Dan's Revenge

Funny to me to think though in regards to DBZ being the huge hit it was while it still had premiers, never had anything like the 3-day Naruto marathon. At least I don't remember anything like so. Up until they premiered the episodes when Gohan was a teenager, [adult swim] had yet to debut, so they could have used an entire 72-hour 3-day weekend for up to 154 episodes or however much shorter than that (48 hours/2 days = 96 episodes... etc). The numbering system at that time from "Free the Future"'s airing was a grand total of 194, so let's say a 3-day marathon there'd only be 40 episodes not played in a full 72-hour span of what they had. Afaik I think the most DBZ got an a day was no more than 4 episodes. At one time during the Moltar era they did this, but no midnight run yet, and when that eventually came there was DBZ power hour at 6 and also at midnight, which was still only 4 episodes in a 24-hour period. Saturdays eventually since the Teen Gohan episodes had a 2-hour block but again never really seemed to go beyond 4. That's just referring to the CN era of showing it. Obviously Kai has gotten a few marathons that went beyond 4 episodes.

In any case it may not be too bad an idea to marathon Shippuden at some point, but the catch-up I see there is just the previous couple month's worth of episodes - nothing to lengthen us further. Would be a surprise though in the future if they did pull off a night of premiers to just one show if they could pull the right strings to do so. I'll put into the argument of how long it'd take Shippuden to be done before and IF they were to air Boruto. There's still somewhere over 320 episodes of Shippuden they need done first, and with holiday marathons and all, it'd take almost approx 7+ years to end it. By then Boruto depending how long it lasts would be nearing the 400 mark. I really don't see them playing that series at all unless they ultimately stopped Shippuden entirely and went straight to Boruto so it'd be something recent.

11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

12. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

They actually had one time only. That was during a New Year's Evil marathon that Toonami had at one point. It was the Garlic Junior Saga. It aired ten episodes straight from 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM.

And, Toonami aired the first three Z movies back to back a few number times, so that was more than two hours at least (four episodes=two hours).

13. wonderfly

From that link:

"Does Toonami still have any special plans for Daylight Savings Time this year?"

Jason DeMarco: "No. We will run as normal like we did last year".

Umm, apparently he forgot that last year Toonami aired the movie "Children Who Chase Lost Voices"?

Really, c'mon, it's become a special event the last few years, just plug something into that spot already (even if it's the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie)...

14. wonderfly

Good point. Those that say "Naruto was never as big of a hit as DBZ" - this is evidence to the contrary. Naruto was HUGE on Cartoon Network for a while.

I think the comparison between the two is hurt by Shippuden actually hurting Naruto's legacy of being a ratings sensation, while DB Super is actually increasing the legacy appeal of DBZ (and people seem to be able to easily ignore Dragon Ball GT).

Maybe eventually they can do like they're doing with Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Kai, both airing at the same time. Do the same thing with Shippuden and Boruto.

15. Dan's Revenge

Thanks for the info. I wasn't a Toonami watcher yet so I missed out on that marathon but would have likely enjoyed it (if I could manage to stay awake anyway). I suppose the movies can be counted tv-time length. I don't remember if I was around then depending when it was. Probably if it was any time April 2001 or prior then no I hadn't seen. If later then I don't remember watching at all or simply missed it.

Wonder if that would work well for two long-running series. Probably wait until one other current long one ends... which probably would be HxH... put Boruto there but keep Shippuden late then it could work out. That's still a long time for mainly one [conjoined?] franchise to appear on the block though. DB I'd say gets a slide since we know Kai has an end, and we'll just have Super in the long run. As long I guess as they have plenty of shorter series to cycle through it'd be decent.

16. wonderfly

The Toonami "President's Day" marathon (aired February 21st, 2000):

Those first 3 DBZ movies started airing in 1999, and that President's Day marathon was the first (only?) time they aired all 3 back to back (it took 3 hours to broadcast all three movies - from 4pm to 7pm). The 3 movies were broadcast sporadically throughout 1999, 2000, and on into 2001 (with "The Tree of Might" airing in November 2001 being the last time those 3 movies aired). As I commented in the info section on one of my Youtube videos, that broadcast in November 2001 (of "Tree of Might") was the last time we heard Sonny Strait as the voice of TOM (due to them rerunning the old promo of "Tree of Might").

17. Dan's Revenge

"Thanks to some dead presidents... you get the day off" ... woooow - is it bad I laughed at that?

I believe I at least remember watching Tree of Might as I was actively watching that fall's DBZ premiers, but with so much going on for a week daily basis I draw a blank in most cases - even for the other movies which I honestly don't remember watching anyway else. Ought to sometime.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

It's weird how Shippuden wasn't anywhere near as mainstream as OG Naruto. Shippuden is beloved by the hardcore Naruto fans and has more crossover appeal than 80% of anime, but it wasn't the massive phenomenon that Naruto was. I remember how crazy popular Naruto headbands were in the 2000s. and how it was cool to like Naruto in high school even if anime as a whole wasn't cool (wow. I'm dating myself, aren't I?). Attack on Titan in the '10s seems the closest in popularity to Naruto in the 2000s. I'm just wondering what happened? Shippuden failed hard on Disney XD. Of course, Disney XD felt very uncomfortable with violent shonen and censored it to death, but Dragonball Z Kai on Nicktoons was huge around the same time and it was censored too. Naruto being on daytime Toonami during the 2000s probably made it a hit. As for right now, Shippuden's towards the back, but it gets stronger ratings than Lupin, but it still isn't the frontrunner Dragonball Super/Kai is. I think it could outdo JoJo and Gundam and take the honor of first non-Dragonball slot, but it doesn't seem like Toonami is willing to do that for some reason? Probably because the rerun portion would fall into the 200,000s without Shippuden's help? The point is, Shippuden isn't the Toonami killer app that Naruto was and I wonder why?

19. wonderfly

Dan's Revenge, You started watching Toonami in April 2001? Spring 2001 is when I started watching Toonami faithfully as well, I had just gotten cable around January 2001. This was when they were still airing the Cell saga reruns. I watched Toonami prior to that, but it was always over at friend's houses. It wasn't a daily ritual for me until spring 2001.

20. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Around 2000, it wasn't uncommon for Toonami to have marathons of some of their anime shows to promote new episodes. They had a marathon of Dragon Ball Z's Saban-era episodes, which was in anticipation of the then-new in-house dub (Freeza saga). The two-hour block during that week had all its shows pre-empted for DBZ reruns.
    Also, the same was done with Sailor Moon. A previously unaired half-season (second half of R) had a marathon one Saturday, where non-Toonami programming was pre-empted.

#6720 SpaceCowboy, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017