"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Devil is a Part Timer is the show where the actual Devil ends up on earth and gets a part time job at a fast food restaurant right? I think it might also have harem(a genre that is irritatingly popular) antics.

Why not Miss Kobyashi's Dragon Maid? I haven't seen it, but I do know that it has female leads.

Or RE: Creators.

2. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Dragon Maid isn't an action anime, and I don't imagine Toonami wanting to broaden out. I don't know where fantasy slice of life comedy can find a home on TV. I guess Crunchyroll is the best home one can hope for in terms of the genre.

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, I think it's more that both are from 1998. Even going by the U.S. broadcast, Outlaw Star aired prior to Cowboy Bebop in 2001.

I think the conversation went something like this:

Jason DeMarco: "To keep the ratings up, we don't want the current Toonami to air anything broadcast prior to the New Millennium."
    And fans responded "Cowboy Bebop was broadcast before the New Millennium, and you broadcast it"
    Jason DeMarco: "Umm, yeah, but that was 1998. So 1998 and 1999 are allowed"

At the end of the day, what they really mean is: "no 'retro' anime". No anime that look older than Cowboy Bebop.

4. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought I read before that if it was a part of classic Toonami and has an HD remaster, it's not out of the question to return.

You know what would be nice to see come back on? Batman: TAS. The series just turned 25, and is as great as ever. But I'm not sure if DC still has weird demands for their series, like how Young Justice wasn't allowed for Toonami, but Beware the Batman was a-okay.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My default assumption has been that anything from Warner Bros Animation is off the table since ThunderCats, Beware, etc went away. I'd love for that to change though. No one's being done any favors by the lack of synergy.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It certainly would be nice if they could air Batman: TAS series. I still kind of wish that WB would be open to making animated series aimed towards an older audience, especially when they've been doing that with their animated direct to DVD movies for quite some time. There's clearly an audience for it, but since they'll have their own streaming service with the new season of Young Justice airing there, I don't think that they'll be interested in making a series for Toonami.

7. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Streaming has taken over. It seems like there's so little we can get. It seems like we'll be stuck with long runners and reruns forever. I don't know if we'll ever get a popular new short-running show ever again. The Space Dandy-One Punch Man renaissance era is over.

8. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Just a heads-up, my town got a really bad thunderstorm today which caused a lot of damage to the town, my neighborhood especially. Among other things, half of our neighbor's tree fell in our driveway, tearing down the powerlines connected to our house. I'm fine (I was a few towns over doing work-related things when it happened), but the power is obviously out and may not return for several days (I'm typing this on my phone by candlelight).

I'll see what I can do about the JoJo/HxH/Lupin talkbacks, but if the power isn't back by Saturday at 10:30pm, whoever else has my permission to post those.

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Stay safe, veemonjosh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Okay, the power lines are hooked back up, so I have electricity again. I'll have my talkbacks ready on schedule per usual.

On another note, Adult Swim has launched a quarterly box service similar to Loot Crate. The first box is a Toonami-themed package.

[​IMG]

It's $50 per box ($45 if you pay for a year-long subscription) and only 2500 Toonami boxes will be made. The second box will be Robot Chicken and the third box will be Mr. Pickles.

• Like Like x 1
    #6650 veemonjosh, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

If they had better synergy with Warner Bros, they could air The Killing Joke.

Edit: I noticed in this new airing of Cowboy Bebop, the sound effects are different from the version aired before. Also, it seems to be uncensored.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #6651 SpaceCowboy, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Cool to see them get in the merchandising side of things.

13. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Yes; these are Funimation's shiny new HD masters. Glad to see it uncensored, but sad about the OP/ED being chopped.

14. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

^ I'm not a fan of the remixed sound effects. The gun-shot sound effect used when the drug trafficker got killed off at the end doesn't have the same impact as in the original mix.

15. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Yo

• Like Like x 2
  16. wonderfly

Any word yet on when the "Countdown" event is going to air? The teaser promo said "Coming This Fall"....does that mean early November? Late November? October? And I wonder how many weeks it will be spread over...

17. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Yes. November 4.

18. FantasyAlchemist

Part of me wishes HxH would get bumped up to the 12:30 time slot. I understand why the long-running series not named Dragon Ball are later on in the block, but I find HxH to be one of the most interesting and entertaining show's Toonami's aired in a while. When it first aired it seemed very bland, but once the Heaven's Arena arc started I became interested in watching it and binged the show up till where the dub was. It's definitely up there along with Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill as my favorite Toonami show. I'd like it to get more love, even if it already is a fairly well-known series. It definitely deserves the 12:30 slot more than Tokyo Ghoul, I'll tell you that.

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Tokyo Ghoul is about to end anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter gets an earlier slot. I predict the following new schedule:
    Super, Kai, IBO, HunterXHunter, JoJo, Naruto, Lupin, Outlaw Star, Bebop, Titan.

The sad thing is that JoJo has high odds of getting GXP'd and Lupin is already GXP'd as it is. These are niche shows with visible fanbases (particularly JoJo's although I wouldn't underestimate the Lupin fanbase), but casuals aren't as into these shows. The evil monkey episode was probably the most divisive episode of JoJo thus far (for once, I was the one supporting the episode when I've been critical of earlier Stardust Crusaders episodes), but there is obviously an audience for surreal stuff on Adult Swim. HunterXHunter is more sane by comparison and will probably come on before JoJo pretty soon.

20. wonderfly

Cool. I wonder what will change, when it's all said and done. New setting? New spaceship? TOM's pet slug evolves into a pet butterfly?!?

• Funny Funny x 1