1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Why not Sailor Moon and PMMM at the same time?

2. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Madoka would probably take too much out of the budget to work in the back half. As for the front half, it would be a show five years past its sell by date. Tokyo Ghoul is a great example of a show shown past its show by date.

3. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

True, though it was a joke. What about Yuki Yuna Is A Hero?

4. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I'm afraid that Toonami might not be into magical girl shows because it wants to be manly. I really liked that show though. It did crush my heart by I loved Yuki Yuna.

5. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I feel like just mixing it up a little would work. It used to be all anime period, before we were able to get it on demand and what not.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

6. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Sailor Moon was off limits due to Hulu, though.

7. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yes, that's right. There's hardly any anime that can be aired. I wonder, is Gate a possibility. Sentai anime haven't aired in a while.

8. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

I have a feeling that if My Hero Academia were to air on Toonami then people would compare Bakugo to Sasuke. He is more like Vegeta but angrier.

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Isn't Gate the anime that's allegedly an allegory for the author's questionable views on immigrants?

10. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I haven't seen it personally, but I know a lady who wants to cosplay as the catgirl with the giant ax. Can't comment on how good it is, but it's got hype. Might end up like Akame ga Kill and be 60% hated 40% beloved show.

11. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Gate is basically a recruitment propaganda anime for the Japanese military. The show is all about how Japan is the best country in the world. On the other hand it does show what would happen if a medieval military(even one with dragons) fought against a modern one. So that is fun.

12. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Another 13-episode series down the line might be good. Who likes The Devil is a Part-Timer!?

13. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Despite Toonami's "manly" image, I would like to see them try another show that's more girl-heavy. Kill la Kill technically qualified and did well, though it was a unique case.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica would be a tough sell at this point; I think Toonami has waited so long/stalled on airing it because they were afraid of turning off a mainstream audience with how tame it starts. (I'd still argue that it would be much easier to sell than Tenchi Muyo! GXP. Poor Jason really had no idea what he was getting himself into with that trainwreck.) Now it's passed its prime/is on Netflix and everyone and their mom have seen it.

I think Symphogear would work well; its overall campy atmosphere just sort of fits in a late-night timeslot, and the bloody/stylized action scenes the entire animation budget is dumped into from the very first episode would certainly catch the attention of mainstream viewers. And like Kill la Kill, it's got a bit of eye candy. If only it were licensed.

14. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

What about Little Witch Academia?

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That series is on Netflix, so I doubt that they'd be able to get a hold of it anytime soon. I'm not sure if Little Witch Academia would fit on the block anyway. I've heard good things about it, but I don't think it's an action series.

16. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I wonder if Toonami's ratings decline has to do with the increasing popularity with slice of life anime and the slow and gradual decline of action anime (although action anime does have significant tread left). Would replacing Toonami with a wacky slice of life/fanservice heavy comedy anime block save ratings. Of course, casuals who aren't anime fans might run away even more.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if casual fans of the block would be that much more interested in slice of life shows or fanservice heavy comedies. Dragon Ball Super has some more light-hearted comedy episodes from what I've seen and heard and that hasn't made it into a ratings hit.

18. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

Outlaw Star did debut in Japan before Cowboy Bebop did.

19. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

The fact that Apollo Gauntlet shows on both Adult Swim and on MondoMedia gives me a slight glimmer of hope that Toonami will air Lastman (which Mondo started to air the English dub of recently).

20. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Dragonball Super is a continuation of a nostalgic property and people have a specific idea on what Dragonball should be. Devil is a Part Timer would be a more suitable example of a slice of life show that could be a hit with casuals, and it does have a few action elements. It would still be a notable risk, though.