1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

No one would want to stay up super late for a premiere. Keeping the back nostalgia is what should work.

2. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

They already have it, and they already aired a few HD eps back in early 2015 or something.

I don't see Trigun returning since there is no master that is in HD, however, there are HD masters of Yu Yu Hakusho and The Big O, so I can see those two returning at least.

#6602 SuperFan2024, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yu Yu Hakusho would be an interesting choice, especially when they already have Hunter x Hunter on the block. I haven't seen much of that series either, so I'd be willing to check it out if they put it on the lineup.

4. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

The thing about YYH though is that it's 112 episodes long, so that's a pretty big commitment for essentially a rerun.

Incidentally, I'm making my way through all of YYH since I never got to see the whole thing the first time around. Despite some shaky voice-acting, it still holds up pretty well.

5. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

YuYu Hakusho would be fresher than Ghost in the Shell for the zillionth time. Filling a rerun slot with a long-ish runner isn't too bad of deal. Of course, a lot of people on the Internet are hating on how many long runners we already have.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot how long Yu Yu Hakusho is. That would be pretty long for a rerun slot and they already have quite a few long-running series as it is. They may want to keep the rerun slot open for any recently finished shows that they want to air again like with Attack on Titan. Still, it would be something new and refreshing for a rerun slot. They may go with Big O instead, especially if they got the first season back.

7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Gundam Wing's also a possibility, as that one's HD remaster is coming here soon. Granted, we all know Gundam's troubled history in the US, but this was by far the most successful series stateside, and it's half as long as YYH.

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Maybe for "Yu Yu Hakusho", if they could just air batches of episodes from some of the better story arcs, that could work. Just to give a taste of the series.

I'd love for them to re-air "Gundam Wing" though. "Cowboy Bebop" comes back every few years, as does "Ghost in the Shell", but "Gundam Wing", man, we haven't seen that aired since the Spring of 2001!

EDIT: "Outlaw Star" last aired on Toonami in the Summer of 2001, but it also aired throughout all of 2002, on "Adult Swim Action" late on Saturday nights.

#6608 wonderfly, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Gundam Wing is one of the very few popular Gundam series because it's very little like a Gundam series. It has far more action than many Gundam series (especially Unicorn). Having a cast full of pretty boys also made it big with fangirls. Gundam Wing was big for being so little like other Gundams. Granted there were some talky scenes, but the talking to action ratio seemed to be 60% action and 40% talking.

Even if people on other forums (but not Toonzone as much) seem to hate on Iron Blooded Orphans for it's lunchroom scenes, I still hope that it succeeds because the current iffy lineup of Toonami seems to show just how solidly written Iron Blooded Orphans was. It was arguably the second best show of 2016 (behind One Punch Man).

10. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

I kinda want Toonami to air Inferno Cop should it ever get dubbed. Because I know there are going to be people asking if this is an anime or an old Adult Swim short.

11. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I wouldn't mind if they brought back the original Tenchi OAVs and Universe, but I'm not sure how much the original OAVs would come under the knife in regards to time and content. Universe doesn't have an HD remaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #6611 SpaceCowboy, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Tenchi OVAs can run up to 45 minutes. I also think that after GXP's failure, Toonami might be afraid of airing more Tenchi.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Gundam Wing may feel different from other Gundam shows for a variety of reasons, but as someone who's seen it many times I'd disagree about the talking / action ratio. There's a lot of dialogue - a lot of dialogue - and I think that to a point, if all that human drama and intrigue going on outside the robots isn't for you, then Gundam probably isn't for you. Even G Gundam builds up to key clashes, not unlike Big O.

But yeah, Wing HD would be a fine nostalgic pick if they can swing it.

14. wonderfly

Would some of these options discussed (Tenchi, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho) violate the "No series that aired prior to Cowboy Bebop" rule?

I mean, we're not talking about bringing some obscure 90's anime series to Western shores for the first time, we're talking about the late night "nostalgia" portion of the Toonami block. I don't see the harm in bringing back either Gundam Wing or Tenchi, if they could swing it.

15. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Outlaw Star's currently airing on the block and that aired prior to Bebop the same year (2001). YYH premiered about 6 months after Bebop in early 2002.

#6615 SpaceCowboy, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  16. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

DragonCon panel wasn't much, but it was something.

-The Countdown event starts November 4th.

-Someone asked what shows the Toonami crew would like to try to get back for the block, likely for the last 1 1/2 hour period. Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, and Trigun were all mentioned.

17. wonderfly

I'm pretty sure the "no shows that aired prior to Bebop" was in reference to it's Japanese broadcast. In other words, "Nothing prior to 1998". So no "Ranma 1/2", no "Slayers", etc...

Well, that's encouraging.

18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Gundam Wing tended to have at least one battle per episode. Iron Blooded Orphans could go 4 without a battle. Of course, 00 was probably the most action-packed Gundam, and I don't see why it can't take the rerun slot (although it's technically new to Toonami it was a syfy channel staple. I think it should be treated more as a rerun than a premiere and should go to the back half.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty cool that they would like to get Trigun. It would work really nicely for a rerun slot and Gundam Wing could be interesting too. If they're talking about the original Sailor Moon, that would be two hundred episodes, so that would take up the rerun slot for four years roughly. I don't know if they'd want to go that far. Plus, I'm not sure if it would really fit with the other shows they tend to air on the block. Still, it's at least encouraging that they would like to get some older shows on the lineup for the rerun slot.

20. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Sailor Moon is the cheesarific ultimate guilty pleasure of guilty pleasures. In the era of Tokyo Ghoul, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Akame ga Kill, and lots of other grim-dark violent Toonami shows, a show about love, friendship, hearts and rainbows kicking ass would be a relief from bleakness. Plus, we could use a female hero rather than the all guy shows most of Toonami has (okay we have Touka and a few female side characters but no main ones).