1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I'm enjoying Jojo more and more. If they don't end up airing Stardust Crusaders, hopefully Viz gives an easy alternative to watch the dub.

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

You really believe that Toonami isn't even going to try and air the one JoJo arc that most anime fans have some familiarity with?

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, that makes sense. I thought that you were referring to how many episodes were left right now for both series. My mistake.

Oh yeah. I forgot that they announced Hunter x Hunter last year on April 1st. People thought that it was a prank then and I actually thought that this announcement was also a joke at first. It does make the announcements a bit more of a surprise when people generally avoid announcements on April Fools Day. It's also hard to believe that Hunter x Hunter has been on the air for close to a year at this point too.

That makes sense. I didn't think that they'd be able to include Stardust Crusaders right along with Attack on Titan's new season. At least they do want to air Stardust Crusaders, so that might make it more likely for them to get it later. I wouldn't be surprised if it was too expensive for them to get both Attack on Titan and Stardust Crusaders at the same time too. I'm still generally fine whether or not they air Stardust Crusaders, but it might gives fans some hope that Toonami will air the series down the road.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

So...it's either going to come back after Tokyo Ghoul, Samurai Jack, or...Attack on Titan (if Season 2 is only 12 episodes)....

6. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Toonami is trying to appeal to a casual audience and if JoJo hasn't really caught on with that casual audience than yes I could easily see them not airing anymore of it. Knowing if it has caught on with the casual audience is kind of tricky though.

So, it says they hope to air it sometime soon, huh? Maybe they will, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is it for JoJo on Toonami. And I kind of hope it is.

7. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's hard to say for sure if it is going to come back. The possibility is definitely there if they hope to air Stardust Crusaders, but I'm not sure if we can guarantee it. I wouldn't be surprised if they air Attack on Titan again after they finish airing the new season considering how it was probably expensive and they had to do that with the first season too. I'm still pretty sure that Tokyo Ghoul's second season has already been dubbed, so that would make it more likely for them to go straight to that instead.

9. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

So, here's the new schedule starting April 29th:

(Bold = New)

8:00 PM: Dragon Ball Super
    - - -
    11:00 PM: Samurai Jack
    11:30 PM: Dragon Ball Super
    12:00 AM: Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
    12:30 AM: Attack on Titan
    1:00 AM: Tokyo Ghoul
    1:30 AM: Hunter x Hunter
    2:00 AM: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
    2:30 AM: Naruto: Shippuden

3:00 AM: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

After April 29's broadcast,

- Samurai Jack would only have 3 episodes left to air.

- Tokyo Ghoul will only have 7 episodes left (if they don't air/dub it's second season).

- Attack on Titan would have 11 episodes left.

- And Stand Alone Complex would have 15 episodes left.

Other than those shows, you won't have to worry about the other shows ending any time soon.

10. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Pretty sure they already said that they'll be airing season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul.

Also, they'll probably air second gig of GiTS too. Unless they want something else to take over that rerun spot.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

It's a shame to see Jojo get replaced on the 29th, but cool Attack on Titan begins season 2 then as well.

12. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

I'm honestly disappointed that the lead premieres was pushed because of Aprril Fools. I'm no fan of that day in general, because you can't rely on anything for 24 hours and stuff gets screwed over like we saw now. I enjoy a well thought harmless joke, but they're rare.

I'm very glad they're airing season 2 of Attack on Titan so soon. I assumed that Stardust Crusaders would at least not initially come when Tokyo Ghoul only got the 1am slot and it looks like that assumption was correct. Attack on Titan will definitely be a gteat boost to the later part of the block. It all looks really good right now, safe for the fact that we still interrupt Samurai Jack's momentum with a 3 hour old rerun, which I'm no fan of. Wish they'd just have premieres at 11:30 and then reruns the following week at 8pm, like it used to be.

As for upcoming replacements. I'm certain they'll air Tokyo Ghoul season 2 right away. Makes no sense to only get the first when it isn't longer, similar to with Black Lagoon. Think they said so too. Gundam Unicorn will probably be replaced by Iron Blooded Orphans season 2, unless they're too disappointed in Gundam by now. 2nd GiG will almost certainly air once the first season of Stand Alone Complex is over giving the full continuous run it never got on Toonami somehow despite the block lasting to 6am for so long and GitS having a full hour at some point of that. The only other thing I could see happening in that slot would be rerunning Attack on Titan season 2 straight away.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Schedule news: Attack on Titan S2 now scheduled for April 22, not the 29th. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will double up on the evening of the 15th to finish off part 2 12:30 - 1:30, while Tokyo Ghoul takes a break.

The 4/22/17 schedule currently breaks down like so:

11:00: Samurai Jack
    11:30: Dragon Ball Super
    12:00: Dragon Ball Kai
    12:30: Attack on Titan Season 2
    01:00: Tokyo Ghoul
    01:30: Hunter x Hunter
    02:00: Gundam Unicorn
    02:30: Naruto Shippuden
    03:00: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm kind of surprised that they're getting rid of Jojo that fast. Either the rights for the first two seasons are expiring faster than they expected or they really wanted to get new Attack on Titans episodes on the lineup as soon as possible. I'm okay with that though. While Attack on Titan felt kind of overrated to me by the time its first season ended, I'm curious to see where they go with the new season to see if it improves.

15. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Makes sense to get Titan out there sooner with the May sweeps period coming up. A fired up viewer base means bigger ratings for the show when it matters the most. Helps shake off the problematic drop as well which isn't doing them any favors currently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

11:00: Samurai Jack
    11:30: Dragon Ball Super
    12:00: Dragon Ball Kai
    12:30: Attack on Titan Season 2

That's a pretty strong 2 hour start, I have to admit...

17. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

For those who worry about Stardust Crusaders airing on the block, there's still hope.

And I know some of you posted the upcoming schedules, but i'm just gonna post them here:

4/15 Line Up
    11:00p – Samurai Jack
    11:30p - Dragon Ball Super
    12:00a – Sand Whale and Me Finale!
    12:05a - Dragon Ball Kai
    12:30a – JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
    01:00a – JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
    01:30a – Hunter x Hunter
    02:00a – Gundam Unicorn
    02:30a – Naruto Shippuden
    03:00a – GITS: SAC

4/22 Line Up
    11:00p – Samurai Jack
    11:30p - Dragon Ball Super
    12:00a - Dragon Ball Kai
    12:30a – Attack on Titan Season 2 Premiere!
    01:00a – Tokyo Ghoul
    01:30a – Hunter x Hunter
    02:00a – Gundam Unicorn
    02:30a – Naruto Shippuden
    03:00a – GITS: SAC

Nice to know that Aot2 will be premiering a week earlier than expected! New Samurai Jack, an hour of new dubbed Dragon Ball, and new Attack on Titan all airing for the first two hours is definitely awesome!

#6237 SuperFan2024, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The problem has more to do with Funi.

When Funi dubs an anime from the most recent season, it usually appears three weeks after the airing of the original Japanese version. To ensure that people will watch the dub on Toonami first (if the dub does appear on Funimation's streaming site), the start date for Attack on Titan Season 2 had to be moved up a week, hence the need to finish up the first season of JoJo during Easter weekend.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh that makes sense. I didn't factor int Funimation wanting to get the dub out sooner to make sure people will watch it first on Toonami. I'm also glad that they're keeping Samurai Jack first instead of giving Attack on Titan that opening slot. Considering that Samurai Jack would be well into its limited run, it's best to keep the premieres at the 11PM slot.

20. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

I wouldn't expect them to take the lead slot Samurai Jack no matter what they got.

The point about Funimation is good. That's definitely the reason. I do like that the Sand Whale and Me series and Jojo ends the same week. It is a shame that Tokyo Ghoul gets an early break as a consequence though.