1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Wouldn't Attack on Titan season 2 require a simuldub? Of course, the acquisition of Tokyo Ghoul disproves the rumor that Funimation no longer wants to put shows on Toonami. I know Funimation wants to put most of its hot new stuff (My Hero Academia) on the Internet, but their would probably be an exception for a show with as much potential as Attack on Titan. It was a monster hit before (ha ha. See what I did). I wonder if season 2 would stay that way.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Really? I thought that it had already ended for that Boruto anime to start in the spring. Or did that not happen yet? I only hear about what's happening with that series through headlines more than anything else. While I don't really have any investment in the Naruto franchise myself, I am kind of amazed at how popular it seems to be despite some of the negative comments I've read for most of Shippuden.

I thought of those two possibilities earlier as well. I'm not sure which one is more likely at this point. It might also depend on how much of Stardust Crusaders is dubbed right now as well.

Yeah, they'd need to simuldub Attack on Titan's new season to get it on the lineup. Funimation has been doing more simuldubs for awhile, but I'm not sure how well that would work for Attack on Titan. At least when they did that for Dimension W, they helped funded it, so I imagine that made it easier for them to get access to the whole story before they even started to dub it. I'm not sure if they could do that with Attack on Titan, which could affect the dub's quality compared to if they had waited for it to wrap up in Japan first.

I'm kind of surprised about that rumor. I guess that the situation with One Piece might have added fuel to it, but it seems like it would be counterproductive to not want any of their shows on Toonami. Putting some of their newest stuff online makes sense, but TV exposure is still pretty good for any show. I'm sure that both Funimation and Toonami would want to get Attack on Titan season two. I feel like the popularity of the series has died down considerably, or maybe it just feels that way to me because I don't hear about it nearly as much as when the anime was announced and airing, but I could see it being pretty successful ratings wise if they could get the new season.

3. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

Funimation has always been very supported of Toonami. They helped get Toonami up on its legs again more than anyone else but fans. Cut them ceap deals with some shows early. Even when it was back on legs they still showed their care for Toonami, such as when they let them air Deadman Wonderland again for free. Dimension W is another example of the great partnership between the Toonami crew and Funimation. Working deals with other companies doesn't mean anything in this regard. The One Piece situation is entirely different. It's not doing too well and has no ending in sight for countless years to come. The next time they could justify ending it in regards to the story would be in 3-4 years and who knows how bad it's doing then. I imagine Funimation would rather have other things on the air instead too at this point.

Any talk about Naruto Shippuden getting booted anytime soon is honestly pointless. It's not. You make it sound like the Toonami crew sat down and thought they had too many long runners and needed to cut one of them. This is not the case. They long having to not change the schedule at all almost, as long as it's succesful, they've said this many times. The decision to remove One Piece has a bit to do with it being incredible long and having no ending in sight of course, because if it, they'd probably respect it enough to let it finish, but the ultimate reason is that it wasn't doing well. Naruto Shippuden is not in that same boat. It's doing a lot better. I honestly don't think it's doing worse than Jojo, Gundam and Hunter x Hunter. Its numbers are only lower because it's airing after them, but it often gets very close to Hunter x Hunter. Not long ago it beat both it and Gundam. It's not very liked on this forum, but it's doing quite well all things considered. I'm sure they'll want to keep it as long as it can be justified and that's for a very long time to come.

Tokyo Ghoul coming is cool. I haven't watched it before so this will be a first. Looking forward to it. The decision to put it before Gundam, Hunter x Hunter and Shippuden makes sense, everyone expected that. However, I'm surprised it's not coming before JoJo either, which honestly leads me to believe Stardust Crusaders is not coming up just yet. and that they have other plans for 12:30 instead. I don't see them expecting Stadust Crusaders to do so much better than part 1 and 2, and as I see it, they'd have to think that for the decision to put Tokyo Ghoul on after JoJo to make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Not Listening!

Given a tweet hinting about the dub, work has been done on episode 12.

I highly disagree here. When it comes to JoJo, the Stardust Crusaders arc is the most iconic of the series. As such, it's possible that ratings will get better once that arc starts.

5. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

It's iconic because it was the part of the manga that got to the states. It's not generally viewed as being better than part 2, which couldn't improve on part 1's ratings. Casual viewers are a majority and if they're not into it now that's not really gonna change.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's neat. That would allow for them to get more of the season done in time for it to air on Toonami. Although, I think Stardust Crusaders is made up of two seasons, so it would be a longer series than the previous two arcs.

It's possible that it could attract more attention given how iconic it is, but I don't know if it would click more with the general audience either. I'm not sure if fans generally prefer part three over part two, but it does seem to be at least more popular out of all of the other Jojo arcs I've heard about.

As for Shippuden, I thought it wasn't doing that well ratings wise either, but I might have mixed it up with other shows on the block.

7. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Like Like x 2
  8. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Are the Toonami Pre-Flight's archived online somewhere? (legally, not illegally, though if it's just 2 guys talking, I would think it's not copyrighted like episodes of Toonami shows...).

9. Daikun

The latest two Pre-Flight episodes are always archived at this link on Adult Swim's website.

If you want the super-old episodes, TDA has them. This one doesn't update often, though, so it's pretty far behind.

10. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

It usually doesn't drop too much from Hunter x Hunter The reason it was pushed down was often beucase a huge show came on and then what's likely a decision to let new shows get early spots. One Piece usually dropped off quite a bit from it. I'm not saying it's doing particularly good, but I suppose mediocre.

11. Daikun

Update via the backdoor schedule: Gundam Unicorn will be moved down to 2AM while HxH remains where it is at 1:30.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Gundam just doesn't work on Toonami American TV unless its name is Gundam Wing. It's too political and too damn serious and too repetitive (we get it, war sucks. Go fight some aliens or do cool stuff with giant robots instead of bellyaching continually). Especially UC Gundam (aka Worst Gundam).

13. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy I should really change my avatar...
    Staff Member Moderator

I have to admit, I'm very fine with this, especially since I don't watch Unicorn.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

16. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yippie! HunterXHunter is safe and Gundam gets pushed back.

17. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

So anybody knows what is going to be on April 1st. I am hoping for some Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, and maybe even some Tenchi goodness.

18. Daikun

Adult Swim never reveals their April 1 schedule ahead of time; they always remain hush-hush about it (or they post a completely different schedule as a red herring). We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That makes me pretty happy. I don't think that the ratings for Hunter x Hunter have been that great lately, but I didn't like the idea of it being pushed back further, especially when Unicorn has been doing worse ratings wise. This makes a lot more sense and I'm glad it won't be airing late into the block, especially when it will hopefully get better ratings by staying at its consistent timeslot. Plus, I can fall asleep after Hunter x Hunter without missing anything important.

I thought that IBO did fairly well for itself all things considered. It was still pretty dialogue heavy too, especially in the first few episodes, but at least it was setting up the characters and setting by doing so. The exposition in Unicorn is trying to do that, but it just makes everything feel so boring. I know it wasn't huge in the ratings either, but I'm pretty sure it did better than Unicorn at the very least. If this was their only option for a Gundam series until IBO season two was ready, then they really should have gotten another show instead. It's not quite as bad as getting GXP, but it's probably up there in terms of shows they might regret getting for the block.

To be fair, it is up against part of the DCAU and people do consider this one of the best Superman series, so that would be pretty tough for most shows in the tournament to deal with.

20. Daikun

I went back and reviewed the ratings since the start of the year, and Unicorn has consistently outperformed HxH save for one episode (February 18).