1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by BrianLeague, May 26, 2012.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Holy poopy-doopy. I never expected this. Oh boy, I know Tokyo Ghoul will be Akame ga Kill level divisive when it airs. Trust me.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That surprises me a bit. Out of the two, I've heard much better things about Tokyo Ghoul than for Akame ga Kill. I think I've heard mixed reviews on its second season, but it's still generally pretty favorable. Of course, this is just based on what I've heard and the actual show could be quite different, but I hope that it won't be that divisive.

3. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Warning, the first season runs at Dimension W 1,000,000 miles an hour pacing. 7 manga volumes in 12 episodes. The overall plot is much better than Dimension W, though. Season 2 is when the series goes away from the manga and towards, ... something.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Covering that much volumes in a short amount of episodes is a concern. It could still potentially work, especially if the overall plot is better than Dimension W. The pacing was a big problem for that series, but not the biggest one in my opinion. Better pacing couldn't have saved a convoluted storyline and bland characters. The fact that the second season goes away from the manga would potentially explain some of the mixed reviews I've heard for it though.

5. Megumi

Megumi ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

About time.

6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Will this take One Piece's death slot or be placed towards the beginning of the lineup. The way JoJo and Gundam are performing, Tokyo Ghoul might be the best follower of Kai.

7. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I'm fairly certain it will be earlier. It would be a waste to put a premiering show near the end of the block.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they tend to put new shows as early on the lineup as possible. It wouldn't make sense to stick a brand new show so late in the night unless it wasn't doing well ratings wise.

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Thanks for this mate. No worries, after tonight there will be plenty of material to choose from. ;)

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For the rumormill: during a live Q&A session tonight, Genndy Tartakovsky said he's been talking to Mike Lazzo about the possibility of doing another project for Adult Swim after Jack.

Yeah.....yes please.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would be pretty cool. It would help to give Toonami another western animated series for its lineup and it would be interesting to see what other project he could come up with later on too.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still holding out hope that he and Toonami create a second season for Sym-Bionic Titan. :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

They put Tokyo Ghoul at 1:00 am according to Zap2it. Gundam, Hunter X Hunter, and Naruto all move a half hour later. GITS stays at 3 and Samurai Jack, the DBZ hour, and Jojo all stay where they are.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Great. Now how long till Shippuden meets its ultimate demise in the 2:30 slot?

15. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Yep, here's the new schedule starting March 25th:

(Bold = New)

8:00 PM: Dragon Ball Super
    - - -
    11:00 PM: Samurai Jack
    11:30 PM: Dragon Ball Super
    12:00 AM: Sand Whale and Me
    12:05 AM: Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
    12:30 AM: JoJo's Bizarre Adventures
    1:00 AM: Tokyo Ghoul
    1:30 AM: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
    2:00 AM: Hunter x Hunter
    2:30 AM: Naruto: Shippuden

3:00 AM: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm actually shocked that Ghoul wasn't given the 12:30 slot, considering the drop it always has after Kai. I wish HxH didn't have to move, though. :(

And yeah, I suspect that if another show has to leave to make space, Shippuden will be next. I think fans should keep an eye on it, since the current filler arc is almost done.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty surprised that it didn't get the 12:30AM slot as well. The ratings for Jojo haven't been amazing for awhile, but pushing down the other shows make sense. I wouldn't want Hunter x Hunter to air that late either, but Unicorn being pushed further down makes me kind of happy in a strange way. Shippuden might be okay for now, but I would expect it to go if they need to make more room. Hunter x Hunter has a lot of episodes too, but it's something that Toonami could actually air completely. I think Shippuden only recently ended in Japan, so that would make it harder for Toonami to air the whole thing.

18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I'm a little shocked that Tokyo Ghoul didn't take JoJo's place considering its ratings. Of course, the first season's dub was available on Yahoo View for some time so it probably isn't as fresh. HunterXHunter being moved that far back is disheartening. If it was put in front of Gundam, I think it would do good numbers.

19. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Nope. It's still going

20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The fact that JoJo is staying at the 12:30 slot means one of two things:

1. Stardust Crusaders is indeed planning to start immediately after the end of Part 2, with Toonami hoping that the arc will be the a ratings hit;

2. Toonami is planning to let Season run of JoJo end its run on that slot before starting their next show (i.e. Attack on Titan Season 2) immediately afterwards.